The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cant remove brake rotor (yes, i searched)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 31

cant remove brake rotor (yes, i searched)

i know i had this problem with my old 97 ls, i had to beat the crap out of the rotor while the car was on the lift. now, with my 97 es i cannot get the rotor off adain. i beat it pretty well with a 3lb hammer and even soaked it with wd40. being smart i decided to change my brakes blockin in all the other car in the driveway, well it started raining and i quit for the day. i have to ge this done early tomarrow. any suggestion on getting this stuck rotor off
    parting out my 7g project. 1g turbo head with gs cam gears, talon tsi front and rear brakes/5lug conversion. xtc 2g fwd clutch and pressure plate. complete 7g 5spped swap. jdm e54a headlights stock 97 tails, interior trim pieces. [email protected]
    http://www.thegalantcenter.net/forum...211#post477211

assuming that you have all the necessary hardware off. get a bigger hammer and just keep hitting it all around the rotor.

or an even better idea, reassemble everything. move all the cars so they can get out, then get back to work.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

yeah, that pretty much what ive been doing, i though maybe there were some tricks
    parting out my 7g project. 1g turbo head with gs cam gears, talon tsi front and rear brakes/5lug conversion. xtc 2g fwd clutch and pressure plate. complete 7g 5spped swap. jdm e54a headlights stock 97 tails, interior trim pieces. [email protected]

Experienced TGC Member
    When i had mine removed.. the person that did it had to head the rotors up with a tortch and bust them off with a big hammer... Thanks to the stupid fuckers at the dealership i had to replce them. They tightened my lugs up so much it took 2 peope to loosen them....

instead of beating it to death... go ahead and just tap lightly around the rotor and the center... beating it will make it stick more...

Experienced TGC Member
    Usually they stick because they rust around the hub. Just get a wire brush and try to get out as much rust as you can in between the rotor and the hub. Then spray it with some pb blaster or something and work it out with a hammer.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

literally beat the shit ouut of it with a hammer

and swing it like you have a pair

it will come off...
    if it doesn't
    buy a new car

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    07 ES what? Galant?

If so, front or back?

You know the rear is disk but also has a drum brake for hand brake so if your hand brake is up then the rotor wont move.

Also, as I remember, there are screws on the rotors. Im pretty sure you saw them and i hoped you used an impact drive to get that screw removed and not strip it by trying to unscrew it with a regular screw driver.

For the rear rotors, I used the timing belt cover bolt which fits nicely to the screw hole on the rear rotors. Just screw it in and the rotor just goes off.

If you knew everything that i mensioned already then go ahead and do what they have suggested.

my bad, i meant 97 es galant

front rotors, no screws at all

Quote Originally Posted by dsm galant
    welcome to the 7g section. i dont think any 7g came with rear disc. i am talking about the front anyways and there arent any screws on the 7g
    mine did

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

yeah, boy am i a bad typer, lol. i menat to say no 97 came with rear disc, i am aware the 94 gs had 4wdb

still cant get this damn rotor off. i heathed it with a torch todaybut no luck. plus its freezing cold out! i am afraid i am going to fuck up the weheel bearing or something from all the pounding

if you can't take it off then take it to a professional to take it off.

but seeing that you're from boston, and how it snows there and all the salt chemicals they put on the roads there's probably alot of rust buildup holding the rotor on. to top things off, only god knows when the rotor was last removed.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

ok, look at the rotor. towards the center near the lugs, is there two small holes. if so, get a bolt that will fit that hole and screw it in there. this will help lift the center of the rotor off. then use a hammer to do the rest.

"If Wal-Mart is lowering prices everyday, how come nothing is free yet"

Experienced TGC Member n3oAcid24's Avatar
    i put a piece of wood by the Rotor and went off on it. the rotor came off like in the 3rd hit.
    n3oAcid24 = 01' Galant I4

just beat the living shit out of it.
    there really isn't much else to it.

actually hit the hammer against the swept area.
    not the hub hat.
    bea it till there are a hundred nicks in the swept area and the rotor is no longer recognizable.

it will come off.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

i jacked it up cut the wheel all the way to the left, sprayed it down with pb blaster. let it sit for an hour and beat it with a 3lb hammer for 20 mins. i broke several chips off the edges but it did not budge

i had to put my new cheapo pags on this not totally fucked rotor cuz i have to drive this car tomarrow. this should be fun. the rotor is super warped. waste of some cheapo autozone valuecfaft pad

you should sell the car

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

how far are you away from bedford?

"If Wal-Mart is lowering prices everyday, how come nothing is free yet"

i dunno. i am in the dorchester/roxbury area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast