The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Getting new wheels!

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Getting new wheels!

Hi guys,

Well my galant is in the shop getting some work on it (putting Cyber 2 and painting) it was pearl white and i am going to stay with that color

now, I was looking to get some rims be4 i put the body kit but i could not find the one that I like.. so i told my self i will do it after the kit is put on..

well, last night i was looking over some sites for wheels and come over many and my choice was BLACK (gun metal) or CHROME

now guys I need your help with which rims would look better and if is there any link of the actual wheels.. and also i came accros these; which i am thinking of possible buying

still would like to hear what you guys think

http://superbuytires.com/F5%20Racing...v=&diameter=18

rims are 18 x 8.5 ? would this be any problem? and tires are 225/35/18

thanks, Miralem

Nice wheels. It all depends on your style. With the kit I dont think chrome would look right but it is your car. I would go black/chrome or polished lip.
    8)

first welcome to the site.

i like those rims but im not a big fan of chrome rims on a Galant. But of course its your car and your money, so do what you want.

What theme are you running w/ the car? That might help you come to a decision on what type, color, and size rims your are looking for.

Anyway good luck on your quest cause I know shopping for rims is probably the hardest thing to decide on. O and post some pics!

Thanks gusy for the welcome :)

well, the galant is `02 and i knew the black (chrome polish ) would look good because I am planning to put CF EVO hood as well but it will stay black i wont paint it and with rims black and hood it will add to the paerl color..

but i also like chrome not the ghetto looking the sporty one that i just gave you guys a link if you find some attractive black wheels let me know

thanks,

well 8.5" wide wheels will fit (i have 19x8.5), but it's going to depend on your offset. you wanna stay between +48mm and +42mm with wheels that wide... i assuming you will drop (cuz if you don't it will look retarded). you are going to have to at least roll the rear fenders to avoid rubbing.

btw, the correct tire size for 18" rims would be 225/40zr18 (you could even get 235/40zr18).

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    i assuming you will drop (cuz if you don't it will look retarded)
    x2

my choice would be to go with anything besides chrome. im just not a fan.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    the correct tire size for 18" rims would be 225/40zr18
    x2.

black or chrome, either color would look sweet on a pearl white g

ok i see some people suggesting 225/40zr18 whats wrong with 225/35/18? only the tires are lowered? or what else

YES, i will be lowering thinking to do 1.75 front and 1.50 back, also if there is any suggestion on lowering i would appreaciate

keep in mind that i am putting 18, and now debating on tires? but if i do 18 wheels and 225/35/18 what would be the best choice for lowering?

thanks guys

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i have 18's and the 40 series tire is perfect atually you cod go to a 45 as some people have but you may run into slight problems with that, the 35 is a smaller tire and in that respect could potentially blow out easier

Quote Originally Posted by yourboymiki
    ok i see some people suggesting 225/40zr18 whats wrong with 225/35/18? only the tires are lowered? or what else
    225/35/18 is not good for pot holes in the streets.

nah you dont want 225/35/18 unless you don't mind dodging holes all the time. I'm running 225/40/zr18 and my car is pretty low and I can still go lower since im on coilovers.

Have you checked out tein s-techs for a drop. Those are really nice if you pair them up w/ kyb/agx adjustable struts.

This is true about potholes with those tires. I run 225/35/ZR20 in the summer and sometimes I feel like I'm doing auto-cross from dodging potholes. I missed a few last year and let's just say my 20"s need to be re-chromed now.

Heck even my 18"s with 225/40/R18 weren't enough to take the blizzards we just had. I ran over a block of ice under some snow on a side road and it actually tore the metal on the front passenger side rim. Which reminds me.... I need to go pick up the replacement. I'll post a pic later of how nasty the damage was.

Quote Originally Posted by yourboymiki

YES, i will be lowering thinking to do 1.75 front and 1.50 back, also if there is any suggestion on lowering i would appreaciate

keep in mind that i am putting 18, and now debating on tires? but if i do 18 wheels and 225/35/18 what would be the best choice for lowering?

thanks guys
    225 is the width.
    40 is the aspect ratio which means the tire is 40% of 225 tall
    18 is the wheel diameter.

when you do plus sizing wheels size (increase the size of the wheel) you want to keep the overall height and therefore the overall rolling circumference as close to stock as possible so avoid changes in suspension / steering geometry as well as speedomoter and transmission acuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoPlusSizing.dos
    tires.com[/url]]
    It is important to note that although the wheel diameter is increasing, the overall diameter of the tire remains consistent.
    stock size wheel/tire for the USDM 8g galant is 195/65r15 (i know the v6's have 16's but let's just use this as the base number).

so now to find the diameter (total height), you take the width of the tire, convert it to inches from mm (1"=25.4mm), multiply that by 0.65 (percent) then multiply that answer times 2 (sidewall above the wheel and below the wheel) then add that product to wheel diameter.

here:

195/65r15 = 2[0.65(195mm/25.4)]+15" = 25" = OE tire height

and for 18's

225/35r18 = 2[0.35(225mm/25.4)]+18" = 24.2" = too short

225/40r18 = 2[0.40(225mm/25.4)]+18" = 25.1" = excellent match

235/40r18 = 2[0.40(235mm/25.4)]+18" = 25.4" = good alternative

also, you really want that extra 1/2" of sidewall height... your wheels will have a much greater chance of surviving potholes w/ a taller tire.

Nice wheels...they look a lot like my 18" Motegi DPK's in chrome and I think they would go well with the car color, but I can't seeing them fitting in with a CF hood more than black wheels would. My only concern would be with rubbing in the back after your 1.5" drop. With a wheel and lip that wide, Im pretty sure your offset is not >42mm and somewhere in the high 30's. You stand a decent chance of rubbing in the back after the drop if your offset is in the range Im predicting. I don't know if that kit gives you more rear wheel well and fender clearance, but if it doesn't, keep that in mind. As mentioned by everyone else, 225/40/18 would be a more ideal tire size.
    It you look straight in my eyes you still might see a disguise

Thanks to everyone, especially Reelax for a detail explanatin

here is the deal: I am getting these wheels and the tires will be 225/40/18

now, on lowering what would be the best suggestion?

my front looks way to high with the original wheels and the back look little bit off set

what is the best suggestion for lowering, what size? 2 front and 1.3 back?

and i know i need to get new shocks? but what is the completed kit? and what about my back wheels do i need any adapters to not touch my wheels when is two people sitting in the back.?

and what would be off set of those tires, someone said the best is between 42 and 46?

thanks so much guys