The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Removing driver side air bag, SRS removal DONE!!!

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Removing driver side air bag, SRS removal DONE!!!

ok after my SRS light came up after my swap i did some searches , theres no topics or even in the tutorial ( might move this after) on how to remove the air bag unit, and since some peeps have been talking of premature deploiment id rather take it off than it blowing in my face
    it seems the sensor is located behind the front bumper cover. when i bought the car ( totaled, the bags werent blown, nor was the light open)
    i changed the stock bumper to body kit but didnt noticed any sensor, i also took off the bumper reinforcement and bumper support...unless its mounted on the radiator support

i know the procedure is described in the haynes manual and in the service manual but they sometime tend to complicate things

it shouldnt be dangerous since there wont be battery, but still , is there anything i should worry about?

would it be easier and faster to just blow it, or removing the complete unit

also can i just remove one of the 2 air bags, i guess the light will stay on...

i pay the garage by the hour, but i could resell the AC unit if i dont blow it,

anyway , any advice guys?

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

try fixing it man. Because yeah it is safer to remove it than it blowing up in your face... but what if you get into an accident? then what?

in an accident
    airbag>no airbag
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

i forgot to mention that i want to install a momo racing wheel

it has got to go

besides i took off my bumper reinforcement for my front bumper cover to fit correctly, so i think the sensor flew off when i bought the car ( weird that the bags didnt blow) well, ive read a few topics and ive seen members whove whit at 30 mph and the bags didnt blow...

2002 blue G RIP07

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    the sensors are not located directly in the front of the car but on the sides where the fenders are. and they are inside the frame at that. If you dont want the bags to go of I'd suggest that you dissconnect the battery cable and then disconnect the airbag ecu from the harnesses. The airbags should be fine after taht but if you really wanna remove it, what you gotta do is unbolt or however they have it from teh steering column. Should be one or 2 fine screws or hex bolts in the column that hold the airbag in the steering wheel. Mind you that your horn is also attached to the airbag.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

well should i keep the airbag in the wheel and just take off the whole wheel. As for the horn , im pretty sure i can install it in my racing wheel.

by removing the complete SRS system unblown(with ecu and all ) i bet i could sell this(anyone interested ?)

2002 blue G RIP07

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    you need to remove the airbag first in order to get to the lock holding the wheel in place.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

well everythings done

so removing the driver side air bag

first disconnect battery,
    then wait 2 minutes for the capacitor the empty its charge. ( otherwise the bag can blow on its on)

now you need a star shaped bit ( i think there called torque bits and bolts not sure though

anyway you need to unscrew the 2 bolts on the side, the one on the right is just above the wiper arm and theres a hole for the left one.

just pull tightly to remove the air bag module, unclip the harness , and the wire

et voila,

u can also get the SRS ecu out , ,all my lower dash and center console was removed when i did this ( u wont have to remove anything to get the driver side air bag, but u might want to remove the center console to have a little more room

the SRS ecu is located just in front of the shifter cable near the firewall. it is held down by 4 , 10 mm bolts

unplug harness and voila
    about 30 min more or less

2002 blue G RIP07

Is the horn switch still intact in the air bag and what color is your trim I might be intrested in buying your airbag because my horn is stuck so I am going to replace the whole airbag.
    Holla At Ya Boy!!

well my horn didnt work before i took it off so mine might be stuck too, i havent checked

the vynil is the gray one, but it sanded, almost smooth ( not finished)

2002 blue G RIP07

aigt cool

thnx man
    Holla At Ya Boy!!

Airbags are overated, I removed mine. :)
    Love,
    Matt

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    got me momo classic steering.. no spot for the horn as well so it's just sitting next to my ignition.. but airbag thing was simple..

Same here, I put a button on my dash for the horn.
    Love,
    Matt

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    hehe made it look like no2 button.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    the sensors are not located directly in the front of the car but on the sides where the fenders are. and they are inside the frame at that. If you dont want the bags to go of I'd suggest that you dissconnect the battery cable and then disconnect the airbag ecu from the harnesses. The airbags should be fine after taht but if you really wanna remove it, what you gotta do is unbolt or however they have it from teh steering column. Should be one or 2 fine screws or hex bolts in the column that hold the airbag in the steering wheel. Mind you that your horn is also attached to the airbag.
    Im not sure if this is different between different model years but on my 99 Galant there are no seperate airbag sensors. The sensor that controls the deploynent of the bags is integrated into the control unit. On my 7G I actually had seperate sensors.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS