The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HELP Removing Valve Cover

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

HELP Removing Valve Cover

i am leaking oil thru the valve cover and i have a v6, i tryd to take it off but that thing didnt come, i tryed prying it but there wasnt a good spot to get it from and i tryed to hit it with a rubber hammer and also grabed it from the oil cap opening and the lil bracket thats on the top left and wiggling it but nothing, is there another way to take it off, i need to change it asap before my car catches on fire thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Your car wont catch fire do to an oil leak. Ive taken off the front valve cover on a stock 8g v6 once. After all the bolts were off it was stuck, just get a rubber mallet and start tapping on all sides. It will come loose, just takes some tapping.
    7g for life!

^ X2
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    or get a flat peice o metal and kinda insert it between the gasket to get a crack to start with.. good luck..

Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    or get a flat peice o metal and kinda insert it between the gasket to get a crack to start with.. good luck..
    i wouldn't do that. you run a risk of warping the valve cover and then creating more problems

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

straight from haynes:

"...if the cover sticks to the cylinder head, tap on it with a soft face hammer or place a wood block against the cover and tap on the wood with a hammer. Caution: if you have to pry between the valve cover and the cylinder head, be extremely careful not to gouge or nick the gasket surfaces of either part. a leak could develop after reassembly."

guess that is kind of copyright violation in posting that. =/ mods might remove it.
    2003 ES 2.4L - 150k - Stock
    tranny flush, timing belt, tensioner replacement at 80k

Quote Originally Posted by outspoken
    straight from haynes:

"...if the cover sticks to the cylinder head, tap on it with a soft face hammer or place a wood block against the cover and tap on the wood with a hammer. Caution: if you have to pry between the valve cover and the cylinder head, be extremely careful not to gouge or nick the gasket surfaces of either part. a leak could develop after reassembly."

guess that is kind of copyright violation in posting that. =/ mods might remove it.

Did that and works like a charm

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken
    straight from haynes:

naw ur good..... u gave credit.... so its not plagarism....

ok thanks everyone ill try it again tomorrow n let u guys know how bad the damage is lol thanks

that happened to me, but i just missed a bolt, did u cheak and make sure you got all the bolts

yup 6 bolts, 3 spark plug wires or coils, and two vacum lines one on each side and nothing, im going to try it again today