The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to...Make a USDM "Zenki Aero" Grill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 37 of 37
    Quote Originally Posted by spdracr
    here is mine but its not done i still have to sand it all the way down and paint it and then put some mesh

is coming out nice man!! great job!

i am actually prob going to do this today! Zobgel is comming over and we are going to the Graveyard so ill probably find my test subject!

~gabe

When I feel like eating a banana, I like to go to the zoo, sucker punch a gorilla and try to run with a banana hanging out my bum. Then if I succeed, I enjoy my victory with said banana and a stroopwaffle.

i want to do mine without cutting out the center piece. what would be the best way to hold it in place? body filler?

rocky 8g
    i did mine with out cutting the center looks good
    just did not put mesh in yet
    Last edited by rocky 8g; 06-03-2009 at 04:01 PM Reason: adding pic

Quote Originally Posted by rocky 8g View Post
    i did mine with out cutting the center looks good
    just did not put mesh in yet

Nice...post pics with the mesh. I have some Corvette mesh on its way and I wanted to get some ideas.

Grill

Do you think this would be possibly for the 2002?? we have that little part of the bumper that comes up and divides our grill into 2 pieces. Would this work if i mod my front bumper by trimming that piece off?

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua42007 View Post
    Do you think this would be possibly for the 2002?? we have that little part of the bumper that comes up and divides our grill into 2 pieces. Would this work if i mod my front bumper by trimming that piece off?
    people have done that on Evo's that have the little "nose." I believe someone posted a link to a thread on evolutionm.net or something one time, but I'm not too sure. But I DO know that Evo owners occasionally do this so you could probably find a tutorial or something.

Awsome, thanks alot. I have been searching for awhile now and i just havent seen actually anyone chop that nose off of our front. But il keep looking, i will probaly get a grill from the junkyard and try it my self. If everything goes smooth i will make a tutorial.

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    This is not a new thing since quite a handful TGCers have done this with different techniques in the past few months. It's basically a USDM 1999-2001 grill converted into a Zenki Aero grille found in JDM Galants/Legnum. Note: this mod can be applied to a JDM grill if so desired
    ***Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any loss or damages done to your grills.

Here are pics of a REAL JDM Zenki Aero Grill:

Here are USDM "Zenki Aero" Grill from various TGC members:

Speedracer

G-spot

There are several ways to fill in the gaps: Bondo, Fiberglass, or Steel putty. I've chose the steel putty because of it's fast drying time.

List of material:

USDM 99-01 grill (prefer already jdm modded to cut down time)
    Hack saw or
    Diamond jewel cutter or
    Dremel diamond cutter
    Body filler (bondo, fiberglass/resin/hardner, or steel putty will do)
    sand paper (200-800 grit)
    glaze putty

Stock Grill

First cut the fins or gills (if not done so already), and it should look like this:

Next, using a cuting device (your choice), cut the center piece. Don't worry about eveness since the sandpaper and body filler fills the uneven marks for you.

Sounds easy? If you have experience with simple body work then this tutorial is a breeze but if this your first time it's recommended to have someone guiding you with some knowledge of intermediate body work.
    If anyone has other tutorials on this subject please feel free to share it.

Enjoy.
    can u fix the middle pik.. link is dead.. =)

Probably looks like this

Figured I would update this thread as I just completed one of these grilles for another member...
    (Excuse the messy workbench. The garage has been going through a big reorgnization period, LOL)

Start with a USDM grille. The slats were cut out already

Pry out / Pop out emblem

Mark the line you want to cut. Try to keep it level with the line of the grille

Using a Dremel, cut at the line. Also cut the bottom section. The closer to the curface, the better

Get your supplies ready for fiberglass. You'll need FB Resin, FB Hardener, Chop Mat or Strand Mat, mixing tray, gloves, respirator, Duct tape

Stretch Duct Tape over the cut areas. Pull it tight to try and make the shape of the grille

Dont have pics of this part, but you mix the FB resin/hardener appropriately, wet the back side of the duct tape and start laying down Chop Mat / Strand. With a brush or utencil, cover each layer with the resin. 4 layers should be enough.

Leave it to dry. When fully cured, pull off the duct tape. BAM, the gaps should be filled and possibly perfect to the contours.

Apply body filler

Sand it. Try to shape the contour of the grille, if needed. (test fitted. Keep in mind, I didnt have clips in and my hood is jacked up from the accident)

Once you're satsfied, prime and paint.

Looks nice!

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse

thnks again brother! it's waiting for paint and mesh now! Drew [DTP] recommended GutterGuard for the mesh. i'll update when finished!
    Quote Originally Posted by [DC_eightG_00] View Post
    i dont know what face is better: the face you put when you say you drive a galant or the face when they see it is a galant lol
    CHRIS
    2000 Galant ES
    260thousand miles

FACEBOOK || TWITTER || INSTAGRAM

Yeh. That's what I used to use. Get the one with the clips on it. It's stiffer than the rolled up one. And a good set of tin snips. Let's see pics when you're done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's so smart, how do you cut the fins inside tho?

Quote Originally Posted by n3oAcid24 View Post
    thats my car and my painted grill....... :D :D :D :D :D :D i feel so important... LOL.....
    How do you cut the middle part?

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot View Post
    This is not a new thing since quite a handful TGCers have done this with different techniques in the past few months. It's basically a USDM 1999-2001 grill converted into a Zenki Aero grille found in JDM Galants/Legnum. Note: this mod can be applied to a JDM grill if so desired
    ***Disclaimer: I'm not responsible for any loss or damages done to your grills.

Here are pics of a REAL JDM Zenki Aero Grill:

Here are USDM "Zenki Aero" Grill from various TGC members:

Speedracer

G-spot

There are several ways to fill in the gaps: Bondo, Fiberglass, or Steel putty. I've chose the steel putty because of it's fast drying time.

List of material:

USDM 99-01 grill (prefer already jdm modded to cut down time)
    Hack saw or
    Diamond jewel cutter or
    Dremel diamond cutter
    Body filler (bondo, fiberglass/resin/hardner, or steel putty will do)
    sand paper (200-800 grit)
    glaze putty

Stock Grill

First cut the fins or gills (if not done so already), and it should look like this:

Next, using a cuting device (your choice), cut the center piece. Don't worry about eveness since the sandpaper and body filler fills the uneven marks for you.

Sounds easy? If you have experience with simple body work then this tutorial is a breeze but if this your first time it's recommended to have someone guiding you with some knowledge of intermediate body work.
    If anyone has other tutorials on this subject please feel free to share it.

Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Og_Kelton View Post
    That's so smart, how do you cut the fins inside tho?
    I used a dremel. Make sure you have a couple decent cutting discs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12