The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Check engine light on...

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    HIXMITS

Check engine light on...

My check engine light comes on sometimes and my car has been acting strange lately. the car will buck during acceleration and miss intermittently. I hooked my volt meter to the diagnostic port, and it gave me these electrical pulses: long - short - short - long - short - short - short - short. If I am reading it correctly, that looks like a code 12, and a code 14. Does anyone know the ECU codes for a 1990 DOHC 2.0 16V ECU? I read the eclipse 1G codes, but I'm not sure they are the same. any help would be great, thanks.

Also, the car idles too fast when its cold (2100 RPM), and it will hiccup until its warmed up.

arcVR4
    is it an automatic or a manual? I dont know if its relevant or not but my car had some major acceleration problems, it wouldnt shift into second gear sometimes and the engine would keep climbing in rpms and then all of a sudden it would catch and the whole car would shudder like it was the end of the world. Problem was my overdrive was completely burned out. I hope thats not the problem however since it was pricey to get the tranny rebuilt.

HIXMITS

tranny

my car is a manual. I think that some sensors on the fuel injection are screwed up, the transmission is fine.

B176969
    i had a problem kinda like that. checked it out and i had a build up right by the fuel filter cleaned it out and it worked great after that. engine light went off to.

Brandon

EVILGSX
    It might be your ecu going out. my GSX did that and it died. It got to where it wouldnt idle so i had to turn the idle up. and one day I thought I ran out of gas. so i put some in and it wouldnt start. so i check out my fuel pump and the housing was rusted and leaking pressure so i bit the bull and spent about $700 replacing that, still would not start. so we hooked up a computer and got no communication.

Many Sites I have looked at to get a replacemet all have this decription.

"The symptoms of a failing ‘Electronic Control Unit’ / ‘Electronic Control Module’ can be anything from sudden ‘no-starts,’ to the ‘check engine’ light going on, and/or ‘idling’ problems. Quite often, these symptoms are misdiagnosed as ignition or fuel system problems. "

That what mine was doing and sure enuf its dead as a door nail.

I think I am gonna buy a ECU or have mine rebult here http://www.avproecm.com/index.htm

Good luck.

bongi
    a dead ecu will give you no codes. if there is multiple codes, it usually happens then you have multiple problems but it doesn't mean that your ecu is bad. fix the first code then check again if the second code is still there fix that too. unless your car was flooded by water or wire shorted, it should be okay.

ken inn
    while a dead ecu will not throw codes, one that is dying will throw all sorts of codes. on the vr4 and the turbo t/e/l's, most common is the dreaded code 44. intermittent ce lite is common on an ecu with bad caps. every vr4 has bad caps, my 93 gsx had bad caps, everyone i know with a 1g vr4 or t/e/l has bad caps. if you can smell rotten seafood, it is the caps leaking, BUT, even if you cant smell them, they can be bad. i would think that the non vr4 galants would have the same problem.