The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pissed about lower rear tie bar, help!!

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    Oli97GalantES

Pissed about lower rear tie bar, help!!

O.k. guys, I ordered my lower tie bar from the website I posted earlier and I just got the damn thing the other day and it is about 1 foot too short to fit on the lower control arm bolts!! :evil:
    I am sending it back for a refund. Now here is the thing, I really want a rear lower tie bar for my car. Do any of you guys know of a website that sells them for my car or somebody posted earlier that they built theirs using stuff from home depot?(I already know that the 95-99 eclipses fit, but I couldn't find any rear lower tie bars)

Initial -G-host
    My friend Scott has a 96 GS-T and he bought the OBX strut bar, rear tower bar and lower tie bar package. We took the car to our buddy Ken that works for Mitsubishi and had the lower tie bar installed there. There was a 97 Galant LS on the rack next to his Eclipse. We test fitted the OBX lower tie bar on the Galant because me and him had a little arguement about the Galant and Eclipse sharing the same chassis. The OBX lower tie bar for the 2g Eclipse. Pricing for it varies..but usually around $80-$90.

Oli97GalantES
    What website did you purchase it from?

Experienced TGC Member
    That sux ass Oli, remember this post dude:
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalantSpeed)</div><div class='quotemain'>Any suspension on a 95-99 eclipse non turbo will fit on the 94-98 galant. I bought the front STB and the rear upper STB. i only paid about $50 for the both of them. the rear lower i made from a piece of 1'' piping at Home Depot. i just measured the distance from bolt to bolt and cut the pipe about 2 inches longer. then i hammered down about an inch on each side of the piep and drilled a hole the same size as the factory bolts. Get you some lock washers and you're good to go. i can't tell a difference from a name brand on and the Home Depot one. who is going to be looking at the underside of my car anyways unless i run you over or you doing an inspection. the Home Depot on only costed me $3.17. <~~ that's washers included!</div>

I am gonna try it cause who the hell looks at a lower tie bar?!
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

Oli97GalantES
    2True
    Yeah, I remeber that post, but I am not too sure what to buy and use. If you try the homemade one 2True, or whoever else has tried the homemade one, please tell me what you used. I am curios as to see how the homemade bar would attach to the existing bolts while still leaving enough thread for the bolt. :?

If not, somebody please tell me a website where I can buy it at.

that's why you hammer the ends together, to make it about 2mm thick. I'm sure it'll work. Let the metal sit in kool aid for a day to color it if you want an anodized look.

MitsuMan
    Jesse let us know how it works out/tastes

Oli97GalantES
    Strike two for me, again!!

Somebody posted about a week ago, that the eclipse 95-99 nonturbo suspension parts will fit our car, and more importantly that the rear upper stb will fit with no mods required to the rear dash. Well, I just bought this bar too, from ebay, and just got it yesterday. I don't see how it will fit without any modifications to the rear dash. :x

Does anybody out there have a rear uppper STB installed in their 1997 Galant Es and if so, how the hell did you get it to fit.

Damn, I got so lucky ordering the ractive front upper STB, I must be cursed now, because I can't get a rear upper or lower bar.

Initial -G-host
    Did you take out your rear seats to get to the shock mounts? Not sure if your 97 or upper model 7g's rear were made different (I imagine not) I have a 95 S. it should fit...there is clearence for a bar. I am not sure if this is true...haven't tried it myself but thought of doing it.

I never heard of the rear STB fitting. Just the rear TIE bar. The only suspension parts that carry over from the eclipse to the galant are the:

Struts (FRONT ONLY)
    All springs/coil overs (some companies make them handle different for the galant vs the eclipse, but they are interchangeable)
    Front STB (some may need to be flipped upside down)
    Rear TIE bar

Oli97GalantES
    I looked at the rear strut bolts where they connect to the car and they sit a little bit lower than the rear dash. So the bar has to be raised about 4-5 inches to clear the "well" the bolts sit in and then will have to attach to the bar, which would have to be sandwiched, between the cardboard dash and metal.

I never heard of the rear STB fitting. Just the rear TIE bar. The only suspension parts that carry over from the eclipse to the galant are the:

I guess I found that out the hard way. About a week ago, somebody posted that they had no problems fitting a rear upper STB in their car. I wil try and rig something up at home depot unless somebody has already done they could tell me what to do.

Mindless

You guys notice the eclipse 95-99 and 94-98 galant have the same part #. I pointed this out many times, they fit both cars.

MitsuMan

GalantSpeed
    I have the following eclipse parts for my 97 es:
    2" Dropzone lowering springs
    BomZ Racing front/rear(upper) STB's
    all fit perfect with no mods. the only thing i did was took out my rear dash to give me more room to work.

Oli97GalantES
    Just got back in town the other day and catching up on some threads. I ended up returning the lower rear tie bar to OBX because it was too short to install properly. As for my rear upper BOMZ STB(bought it off of ebay for a 95-99 eclipse nonturbo), I was finally able to install it using some bolts and nuts from home depot. I had to cut a small hole in the gray plastic trunk trim pieces(the ones you see when you lower your rear seat) in order for it to fit. My STB was not a direct fit like GalantSpeed's was due to the fact that the rear dash is a lot higher from where the rear upper strut bolts sit, but with a few parts from home depot, it was able to make it work. If anybody runs itno this same problem, I am more than willing to help talk you through it. The car is now AWESOME on corners....can't wait for my rims to come!!

bmxpert1
    so you have a rear strub tower bar on??? would u mind posting some pictures so we can all see how that looks? thanks a lot

Experienced TGC Member
    Ya Oli, post some pics bro!

Just of the tie bar though, I don't wanna see your new rims J/K

[b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>