The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New oil..

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

New oil..

Ok well i just had to replace my radiator because there was a hole in it the size of a orange and just got a new one. Since i got the new radiator i was goin to go ahead and change my transmission and engine oil. My question is what do you guys recommend? What seems to be the best for the 4g64?

Re: New oil..

Quote Originally Posted by bmxmike
    there was a hole in it the size of a orange
    Orange :smt118

ya i know like behind the fan somethin was hitting the radiator it looks like either that or the dude who put it in there before fucked the shit out of it!

if you are automatic, then i'd use nothing other than mitsubishi automatic transmission fluid.
    nothing.

if you are manual, off the shelf just grab 2.5 bottles of penziol synchromesh, and fill it till the fluid comes out the check plug.
    if you want to order the fluid, order some gm synchroshift, or get it at the gm dealer.

coolant?
    jjust use some standard prestone. mix it 50/50 with distilled water.
    coolant is coolant is coolant is coolant as long as its the right type.
    there is no point in using anything other than a 50/50 mix.
    your ecu pulls timing if the water isnt' in the proper temperature range, that means too cool OR too hot.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

No i already changed my coolant, what i need to do is change the engine oil and transmission fluid

for oil, go with your favorite quality oil. some people here swear on mobil1, others like me swear on amsoil, then there are folks who say that dino oil is good enough.

and just as important, go with a quality oil filter.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Proto
    Quaker State (Q) Full Syn is good, I like it better compared to Mobil 1. For the trans use strictly Mitsu ATX fluids.

Heres something for you to check out..

http://www.synlube.com/

Well i did use royal purple on my other cars and i just saw amisol and didnt now much on them other than they like to compete with mobile 1. Just seein what you guyz thought was good was thinkin on stayin with royal purple also thought about getting Greddy GR-3 oil or Greddy GR-2 and leaning more toward the GR-2. Anyone ever use these?

you guys can say what you want about any oil you want to say it about.

I used mobil 1 10w30 on my old 4g64dohc.
    i beat on that motor all day everyday.
    i was a asshole driver trying to get to school and work and home and girlfriends house every day driving through city traffic stopping going, redlining each gear. i woudl literally take 1st and 2nd to redline... i'd hold 2nd gear in the 4k-5k rpm range instead of upshifting. jsut beating on it non stop.
    i made sure to change my oil every 3k, the previous owner used the same oil and followed the same procedure.

at 186k miles a sensor failed and i decided to take that motor out and swap in my 4g63t turbo motor.

i sold my old motor to Matt(peanotation)
    when he recieved the motor he was amazed to see a flawless oil pan.
    'because he bought that motor to buid it... he took it to a machinist so that it could be prepped for a built rotating assembly.

the machinist removed the main bearing caps.... they were spec.... when i say spec. i mean that he coudl ahve left them in there and it woudlahve had the same clearances as the motor woudl after a rebuild, or off the factory line.
    the rod bearings were the same.

after 186k miles of HARD abusive driving... 3 cylinders were perfect.
    meaning they required no machining to accept new pistons other than of course a very mild deglaze(standard procedure on any build)

only one cylinder needed any work, had a very mild scratch in it and only required a .001 overbore...
    that is one thousanth o an inch.

after 186k miles of abuse, with nothing other than a unwaivering preventative maintenance schedule....
    the motor was flawless.

had matt not been set on buliding the motor with forged internals...
    he coudl ahve slapped it in and driven it easily for another 100k miles.

so take what i said however you like.
    believe what you like,
    buy whatever makes you happy.

other oils may claim to be better.... hell
    they may actually be superior....
    but why woudl you spend the money if mobil one gets the job done for less.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

ya i get whut your saying just i have gone through two cars already and they have all been from problems with internals.

My first car a Honda Accord 91' for $700. Was 16 just got license and i was already really into cars. Well was doing my best with what i had and had the car running real well. Changed oil often and filter. Well one day was driving down the road and the oil lines got backed up and well motor was gone by the time i got it off it was already moving so fast there were some bad damage. The oil light didnt even come on till i got home and was trying to figure out where all my oil went.

Second car, Ford Taurus 99' for $1,500. Got real parinoid with the enigne so i took extreme car of the engine. Cause if you knew me well you would understand anything that can go wrong wont, it will be something else thats real major. Well driving down the high way to go buy some speakers. Was one the highway already and was doing 60 for bout 15 miles. As soon as i come over a hill i notice its hard to steer the car then all my warning lights come on. Im thinking that the battery just came loose cause the cables were torn from another incident, and that it just died or stalled. Well fixed the cables still wouldnt come one then i figured might be alternator or dead battery. Dad comes out try to jump on luck. Take battery out put in his truck turn it off back on and it comes on well battery is good. And while this is goin on theres bout 15 highway patrol cars trying to keep traffic away. Well we try everything no luck. So now its sitting out infront of my house and we cant figure out what happend. We were messin with it cause we thought it got hot and seized. Well we got it to turn alil bit it turns back and forth. Well start takin apart, first thing i do is take a spark plug out and to our suprise have of the spark plug is GONE!!!! All the other ones are fine just the number 6 cylinder hit. We dont know what caused it to do that so to even see if it works you would have to get the spark plug out to get it to turn all the way over.

And now this my Mitsubshi Galant 98' for $1,000. Bought it and after about a week ball joint breaks!!! Good thing is i was going 25 in a parking lot so not a big worry. Well got that fixed. Then my radiator starts leaking that happend a few days ago and got brand new radiator, hoses, fans, and everything! Reason for new fans is that there was a hole size of a orange behind the fan in the radiator. So we dont know what happened. Well now my engine mounts are looking in need of being changed as i can take a brush across them and they start to flake! So im just being carefull.

So main reason is most of my problems have been from internals and we have been takin our time but have almost looked over the entire engine. I was just wondering if there was a brand of oil out that was less friendly with the Galant and also what i should think of oil for a Dohc swap and turbo added.