The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: humming @ 40mph

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

humming @ 40mph

I have a 2001 galant and got it with 50,000 miles on it. For some reason when driving @ 40 to 50mph it sounds like the drive train is making this humming noise which is very faint. Ive had 2 different sets of tires so its not them. Bearings in the hub seem to check out good also. Trans fliud has been changed. Have even taken it into the shop and they hear it but can not pin point any problems. Is this just a standard thing for the car or is there a problem? Anyone that might know about this your comments would be great to hear.

Is the noise worse when turning?

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Check your tranny... Maybe it's going? :shock:

yes I have noticed when i make left turns only will the noise of it increase, but then its at about 25 to 30 mph at that point which if i drive straight it wont make the noise at that speed. or I just cant hear it at that slow of a speed.

The trans seems to shift just fine.

have you hit a bump or anything?

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    might be alignment.. good luck!!

if the noise is increasing when you make left turns, that tells me that its one of your right wheel bearings starting to go. I have this problem om my g. it makes a hell of a lot of noise. theres no play in the bearings yet so im not in a hurry to replace it, prolly will when i do my brakes this spring. If you start to get a clicking/poping noise when you turn then its your cv joint on ur axle.

I dont think its the same noise when i turn though. And the right front really has to be pressing down into the turn for that noise to happen. Yes the car has hit the curb or something pretty bad before. The stock steel R front rim had a very bad side dent in it, about 1" bend on the rim edge, still held air though. Thats possiblly the problem then. And since coldshot you have no play but they are going bad now it really has me thinking thats it. The hit was there when i bought the car didnt see it untill i lost the hub cap on that side.

aye, ive had a few hard hits from pot holes on my right side, one bad enough i had to replace a rim. If you have hit a curb, check your tire as well, you could have a broken belt in the tire and that is making a noise as well. Rotate ur tires see if the noise moves from front to back or vise sersa

Sounds like wheel bearings. Also for the record alignment doesn't cause any kinds of noises.