The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 4G63 Questions

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar

4G63 Questions

Well with a little money in the reserves, the summer coming (although it's snowing right now) and some engine work needed to be done i want to start preparing my 6bolt for the engine swap.

First thing i want to do is replace the head. i have the engine, but the last bolt housing for the exhaust manifold is drilled out, and no new bolt will fit. With the long term possibility of any repair failing and suffering exhaust leak, a head replacement i think is the best option.

Which brings me to other options, since i will have the head off...

Any cost effective modifications i can do to the block?

Any good places to get a quality head for a great price?

umm.. all i can say is build it. I cant see anything better to do but that. as long as you have funds to do it. I think that is cost effective enough.

hit up
    http://www.slowboyracing.com

they have good stuff
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    If you looking to get the head refreshed most machine shops will charge you about $250 to do it. I wouldn't spend the amount of money slowboy or other tuner shops are asking. I would get a mitsu 4 layer head gasket and some arp head studs and call it a day if you plan to stay fwd. How much power are you looking to get out of this motor is a better question so we could help you with your needs.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    you should do the balance shaft belt removal, get the head port/polished if you feel like it, and like sleepervr4 said arp studs and 4layer gasket

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover
    umm.. all i can say is build it. I cant see anything better to do but that. as long as you have funds to do it. I think that is cost effective enough.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

I may be able to help. I have an extra head that came with my 6 bolt. Its ported and polished on the intake side, stock cams, Crower retainers. totally clean head. I already have a cammed head from my 7-bolt so I don't need it. PM me if you're interested. I have't even thought about a price yet as I have a ton of extra parts I'm getting rid of to fund my own swap.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

www.karkings.com has pretty good prices on blocks. I got my '64 long block for a grand. Completly rebuilt

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"