The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ecuflash

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

ecuflash

anyone running ecu flash??? I would like to view a tuned rom as im curious about how to use this and understanding the different tables.. I viewed my rom but the def i used was not for my year so i dunno how accurate and some things were wacky numbers.. what are you guys using to tune top end.. i have the emanage blue and the tactrix cable...
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

I'm getting ready to try it.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Experienced TGC Member
    Keep us updated...both of you!

i have the cable, but im not sure if it will work on my car (2000 es). what ecu do u have to have?

Repost

Reposted.

Here is a little example of the map changes of my 03 Galant ES.

I felt the changes immediately, and was well worth it.

My plan is to boost 10 lbs with ONLY the stock ECU for control.

There are MAF settings that correct the ailment in the stock MAF "limitations" (namely it is set WAY low) of air flow. Injector scaling to correct the output and timing of the injectors, and of course ignition and fuel maps.

Just get prepared to READ A LOT.

http://forums.openecu.org/viewtopic.php?t=2286

sup

where is the map i dont see the link?? i dont think u can run 10lbs because u cant scale the load wide enought to get the best tune...
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

True, but only so far.

Get an account and read the site! For your own good.

One of the first topics brought up during Open ECUs startup, was how to extend maps, although I will not.

Personally, I feel this is such a small amount of boost compared to the EVO maps you are using as a comparison, the amount of "controller feedback" should be minimal. (I consider controller feedback to be the "feeling" in the ECU making changes using sensor input)

That is one of the first things I found and is probably one of the most obvious differences in a NA and Turbo-charged vehicle. But does not render it useless. Keep in mind with the amount of boost given to an EVO, in comparison to the 10 lbs I WISH to run. I think the scaling issue is rather small issue (like 3-4 more load cells). I also don't think I am immediately tuning to 10 lbs. I will run it at 7-8 psi until all is well with programming, then I will most likely take it to a DYNO to do a 10 psi tune (for the best tune).

What is the difference between using AFC on a stock ECU (and its small load and RPM), then just using the stock ECU? Most of what I am reading on this site is how hard it is to tune AROUND the stock ECU. Also is there not some "controller feedback" using the AFC tapped ECU? I feel there is a VERY DIRECT way of fixing AFR on boosted 4G64, and it is re-mapping the ECU. Do you see what I am getting at? The ECU is controlling the engine regardless, while the AFC is doing what Open ECU can do, FIX THE AFR.

I WILL find out if this is manageable or not by trying, with an AFC on hand if it is needed.

And please get back to me with ALL concerns, better to work them out here, than in my garage.

extending

i see what ur saying but it no one has done this because when u rescale the the map all ur doing is widening the range between the colums and therefore its not as accurate as it was meant to be.. You will have to skip load values in order to rescale it to loads high enough for boost let alone 10 psi.. Now there is a guy on club3g that can delete the immobilizer key and u may soon use the evo 8 ecu for the fuel and timing maps and that would allow you to boost very high and not have to worry... add a knock sensor and u will be good to go...

Club 3G! My eyes hurt.

I know I need to surf Club 3g, there is tons of info there, but I have been immersed in Open ECU and studying up on controller systems along with this GREAT site.

I should watch what I post, but I will not be boosting 10 psi this year, let alone keep my Galant in good running order while boosting 7-8 psi for 3-6 months. Just giving myself some challenging long term goals. I’ll also need to get some internals before going 10 psi. Stock bottom and P&P head is all I’ve done, and would not be “reliable” at 10 psi. Auto transmission!!! I did say challenge.

Wait till I try to find the transmission code to do the swap. Executive Auto, a high end rebuild of exotic cars is right up the street from me, and my cousin is the head mechanic and metal fabricator. I watched them put the “sequential wanna-be” transmission in a 03 Eclipse with the V6. In which there electrical tech (scratching his head) took to a local Mitsubishi dealership and had the transmission programmed by the GOD of all programming devises, the Factory Programmer. I can get the same transmission for $400 and probably $100 + (raping) for the Factory programming. From what the Mitsubishi electrical tech said is, getting the Transmission Control Module to communicate with the ECU, and is a matter of making sure Module numbers match for both (transmission ECU and THE ECU). I feel there was probably more to the programming involved with the auto-stick, but that is for Mitsubishi to figure out and fix. Any info about this here?

I’ll be porting the MAF and changing MAF size, and most importantly the Scaling and Smoothing tables. If you look at the scale of the RPM for both, it gives such a smooth graduated reference for one to get very creative with. Create an account at Open ECU and look at all my posts under – mtcavity -, download all the ROMs and XML definitions along with the ECU program. Compare the differences between an EVO 7 USDM and an EVO 7 JDM RallyArt ROM. Compare the MAF settings and other maps, it is very interesting. Mitsubishi builds there files from a main outline or base, and tune for bigger boost and tolerances off of the base. I would REALLY like to create a 4G64T base, with conservative settings allowing for appropriate changes based on modifications and trim or “stage” setup(and hopefully calculate-able). Seriously, if you know a little algebra, one can get very approximate settings to start out with. I love data-logging, and even datalog my fathers EFI Harleys.

If you see anything relevant while surfing, thread it my way. It will take me a while to go over all those pages.

Auto-stick.

I like automatics; sorry but it is a great convenience.

I want to swap the auto-stick for the performance in the gear control and its better ratios. Depending on where the Throttle Position is, sometimes I cannot push the accelerator just that little bit to achieve extra power without it downshifting. Depending on vehicle speed and TP, the car would not even go into full open loop before shifting. VERY FRUSTRATING!

ANYONE DO THIS!!! Is it cool for like 225 horses? I was told it was a solid transmission because of the application.

boost

10 psi is attainable on stock internals i am running ten pounds.. as well underated was running 12 i believe.. I am on an auto also and its fine for cruising and flat out racing but i dont like its gearing too much and sometims the added air will make it shift. On the whole its easy to not downshift and with turbo it takes off with no need to downshift so im not displeased.. Anyway u may use the evo 8 ecu in conjuction with ur stock ecu so u can keep ur auto tranny and still get evo timing and mostly fuel maps..

EVO ECU looks VERY good!

Looks very interesting!

I was also looking at the timing maps (Galant vs. EVO) and they are as if you would give the stock ES an aggressive makeover with the ability of fine tuning.

2 ECUs was something I would never have thought of. I have been into more of a "software" thinking mode, than "hardware" thinking with all this engine management stuff.

I wanted to acquire some ECUs (Honda, Ford, Subaru, Mitsubishi) to get my own bench workshop (input and output testing, fix “bad-flash” ECUs), and these EVO ECU are not that pricey at all (under $200).

It sucks that the EVO auto sport-shift will not work with the regular auto-stick for my application. Also, I have yet to drive in a 4G64T and was a bit leery about the shift response, but you brought a smile to my face about the “shift-ability” of a boosted setup. I live in PA, 1 mile away from Blue Mountain (you know Appellation Mountains) and I catch myself going, Please, Please, Please hoping it does not drop into 2nd for the next 2 miles up hill, but I fixed that by changing my Open Loop settings to bring on full performance on at a lesser degree of throttle angle. I eventually want the auto-stick, but reading the posts here are leaving me feel confidant enough to put $$$ somewhere else for now (like the EVO ECU).

Why are you pressing about NOT using the Galant ECUs altered fuel map if I could ask? Did you run into specific issues with the maps low cell count specifically? And if so explain the feedback of the issue. Was the issue the fine control of O2 feedback because of the accelerating across the map at such a fast pace and not having enough “range” to compensate for a proper AFR? I am very interested in the topic of ECU modification but have never had a turbo, always NA tuned. The scenario above is why most Subaru vehicles use 32 bit possessing for the speed in sensor feedback and response.

I get my over-payment to Uncle Sam check soon and still need the IC with some left over to get the 2 ECU cable and EVO ECU. If you know any good places or people to go to for the ECU let me know, I’ll try to order the cable this weekend to tie it in. I’ll be pulling the motor in 2 weeks and want to pre-fit the ECU and fuel system before engine breakdown, check and rebuild. At least get the engine to idle correctly.

ecu

the stock ecu only accomodates 100% load... When i boost lightly meaning a little more than regular accel i hit 115 load at the least.. If i get on it it goes much higher. The stock ecu is exactly how u stated, doesnt have enough cells to add fuel or timing for boost.. I pass stock load with atleast 2 psi from where i can catch it.. Unless u can reprogram the stock ecu totally to add the additional cells and address that are preprogrammed, we wont be able to use it fully.. The evo ecu goes to 260% load on both timing and fuel. Also has the knock sensor filter and function. Although our engines are not the same the knock filters can be adjusted one day to suit our needs... now the guy from tgc says we can use the evo 8 functions on our stock ecus also but you will need to convert to 5 spd if that is the option u want. Also do u see any tranny programming in there ???

I have a rom of mine but have not been able to get a definition.. Are you able to make a definition for mine? 02 galant de.. 4cyl.. I have been using other ones and such but not my own..

U can use the stock ecu and scale the injectors, injector latency and fine tune some other options but u will still need an ecu/piggy back/standalone to control wot and boosting...

FlashBlueRs on club3g(who is a master of ecuflash) has just flashed an eclipse manual ecu with an evo flash so the load does go up to 260, and he removed the whole immobizer function from the ecu. You guys should really look up on that site.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

ROM

Yes I can look over the maps and find the offsets of your ride, (timing, fuel, and all the other ECU Flash parameters) but there are so many scales and values that it is near impossible to find the transmission data. Post you’re ROM on Open ECU or here and I can build an XML definition file for it, it should take like 3 hours. I have not done any of that model/year yet and would be very nice to see one. http://www.osecuroms.org/ Is another great site, although you will have to create an account to post there.

That is 1/2 the reason I want to go and get the stock shift pattern changed, or tranny swapped. I will pull the ROM afterwards and do a “compare to ECU” to check to find what data was manipulated from the previous ROM image. From there it is a matter of finding particular "leads" (like numerical and programming tags) to find the tranny data, scalings and map offsets. HEAR ME THERE ALL!!! Anyone go to Mitsubishi to get there transmission replaced/reprogrammed? I’ll send you my Flash cable if there is no other option.

I want the newer flash cable and innovative wideband kit. VERY WORTH EVERY PENNEY! http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/tactrix.php .With the option to do STIs. My father has a Subaru Forester FXT (turbo) and a Banks modified Ford F350. I think this is deep down why I want to boost. Sad right.

FlashBlueRS, is a god, I am on top of this EVO ECU swap thing like flies on $*&#. Like I said, I'm thinking on a 1, while he's thinking on a 100. Although if you have a 5 speed there is no problem of transmission issues. I like the automatic and will be going with the 2 ECU setup or piggy-back untill I can get the EVO ECU (to do a 5 speed right it will cost a lot). Now that Johnathan (?) confirmed my worst fear of the stock map, I am defiantly going to look into the swap (possibly map/scale rebuilding later).

When/If you look at your ROM in HEX editor, and look at the “offset” addresses, all the maps reside in 00001-07000 (it goes to 7ffff and that’s a lot of data!). All I need to know is if the transmission data is over the 07000 point, and if there are physical addresses related to the particular engine management system. This means that across the Mitsubishi lineup of automobiles, there is a chance that the particular vehicle system might work off different sectors of the actual ROM chip. This means that just sections of ROMs could be compiled into different sections for engine management, transmission management, EVAP management and logical data, the rest is open ROM where “ECU learnt” mapping is located and also the section the ROM image is transferred to when we pull a ROM image from the vehicle. This is some S%$T! It takes hours of logging offsets, map comparisons, ECU inherencies, circuit blueprint reading, and a few other mathematical headaches I’ll run into while compiling. I would REALLY like to get my hands on the factory programmer and mess for it for a week (but that $$$ a day/hour), because I am pretty sure that all the ROM building utilities are in that bad boy. I am a banquet chef and an addictions counselor, the rest of my life is dedicated to these studies. This is going to take time and I got a lot on my hands with work, along with the new rebuild/upgrade that is going to take me like 2 weeks I’ll be going with the swap.

Will I need ANY other managment devices? The ECU from the EVO 8 and thats it?

Now if FlashBlueRS can come up with a program that can rebuild maps and relocate the offsets for all following data for a particular ROM (like the factory programmer), I will utterly “bow-down”. But when I really think about the “hardware” that can be controlled using the EVO ECU, there is almost no reason for me to even waist my time. Although finding a way to program in the correct transmission data would be a good idea (thanks Johnathan, it just sunk in what you were getting at).

“Also do u see any tranny programming in there???”

I NEED AN EVO-8 ECU!!!

Post all EVO-8 swap info on Johnathansgalant original post on the EVO 8 immobilizer ( https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=55206 ). I hate when threads get lost in already posted topics.

Post ECU related material here…

yup

yea what goosey posted is what i mentioned earlier.. I have not had the time to disect or dissassemble anything so i leave that to the experienced... I wondered about the tranny programming because turbo cars that are automatic seem to stay in gear longer than usual allowing u to spool well.. I spool fast if i want to but it couldnt hurt to look at the transmission controls... Ill try to get my rom or find my rom file and post it up.. Good luck on the quest.. glad someone here is messing with ecu flash... Im sure there is a way to program a whole new timing and fuel layout or just simply transfer the evo fuel and timing maps without anything else and just add it to our ecu you know. I will try to get the evo 8 ecu at somepoint but for now my emanage does the job..

ECU Flash ignition tables

Look at the ignition load and RPM scales when you get your definition. The ignition maps should have extrapolated values to compensate for RPM limiter changes or other “anomalies” (like us). The value in either the 10,000RPM row, or the 260 on the load column, I was hoping, could be used to tune for turbo. (From what I am gathering from the rest of your input, to my dismay, is) What is probably happening in boosting the cells in either of the RPM or LOAD is not averaged into a smooth transition, further, if they are/were changed to drastically different degree I am certain that you will feel it in “controller feedback”.

Well…..Maybe I can get a deal on 2 EVO 8 ECUs!

They are pretty rare to find these days. The only way i found one is because the guy went to AEM standalone so he didn't need it anymore. I have no idea what you guys are planning to do with those automatic transmissions but ido believe that you can run them together. Another words run an evo ecu and a galant auto ecu.
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GOOSEY2099
    They are pretty rare to find these days. The only way i found one is because the guy went to AEM standalone so he didn't need it anymore. I have no idea what you guys are planning to do with those automatic transmissions but ido believe that you can run them together. Another words run an evo ecu and a galant auto ecu.
    You definetly can. Thats how Clay from GalantSpeed had his working, 8g ecu controlling the tranny and JDM EVO5 ECU running the motor.

EVO ECU's are not that hard to come by as long as your not a low-balling cheap skate. You can score one from car-part.com for anywhere from $150-$500. They are on EVOM at least twice a week for $150-300.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

EVO 5-6-7-8 ECU Swap

Thank you Stewi, that defiantly widens the horizons on the swap! I remember seeing like a dozen (some sleazy) different vendors of ECUs along with other hard to find parts (like for the Subaru Brat). I was figuring that the EVO 5-6 ECU would work in the case where EVO 7-8 would work, although I think pulling the ROM for manipulation is rather tedious, at least for the reprogram-ability option. But it is still a very good option! I know there are a bunch of people who are waiting for Open ECU to come up with an EVO 5-6 kernel to pull, view and manipulate ROM data via OBD, like the EVO 7-8-9.

Oh yea, EVO 9 ECU? Or does the VVT map screw things up?

I was doing Eclipse manual and automatic model ROM comparisons trying to find some “transmission” data (maps, values or scales), but is probably going to be more complicated than simple comparisons. I need to do some sensor readings on the TCM to see what triggers the shifting in our automatics using multi-meter and various data-loggers (Also the factory schematics of the Mitsubishi line-up of the past 6 years compiled into an easy to use manual would be nice). I am sure it has something to do with throttle position, possibly MAF or MAP pressure, but till I can back track the circuits that trigger a shift, I have little idea of what kind of mapping to look for. THIS S*&T IS THE ONLY THING STOPPING US FROM JUST FLASHING AN EVO ROM TO THE ECU WITHOUT BUYING THE EVO ECU! Yes, we lose out on the EVO boost control but aftermarket boost controllers are AS fast, if not faster. Let’s also get back to the point that this all began with extending our maps, and our Galant ECUs are just as equal of engine management and sensor monitoring devise as the EVO. That is until you want the added boost control, which is just a pinch of a pain in the arse and could be simplified with the APPROPRIATE aftermarket devise (and not the manual boost controller either). I knew I would need one anyway, even IF I could have used the factory engine management.

You know that 1 ½ in / 3 in box in your fuse block? That is the “transmission control module” (you already know this don’t you?). It is a relay/solenoid controller that is particular to the transmissions we have and is controlled on a software level by the ECU (FACT). If I were to do auto-stick, that unit would need to be replaced, and ECU recalibrated for the TCM unit. (The 1994-1998 Galants have a sole TCM that manages gearing with on-board software but still needs to be re-calibrated to the ECU for certain sensor feedback). FYI

Is this true for the EVO 5-6s TCM? Does anyone know anyone who has pulled the data from one? Like on the drive-by-wire Subaru vehicles, the TCU (throttle control unit) that can have its ROM pulled via OBD II, then manipulated, or re-scaled. You guys would have heard more than me on Open ECU, which is more of a developer realm focused on more of the EVO model.

Where I will be focusing my efforts is to finding the transmission data. That way when I do an EVO ECU swap-out, there is still the ability to control ALL parameters of the engine management (transmission with the option of boost control) with 1 sole controller. Renesas designed the ECU to be completely programmable in ALL aspects, ESPECIALLY in the case of the EVO ECU. http://www.renesas.com/fmwk.jsp?cnt=...s/sh7055_group

I just hope the 2 ECU management is a temporary solution to a relatively small software problem.

Just need to figure out how Mitsubishi circuited its hardware, and addressed its software for there Renesas engine controllers. Thank you all for your input; I apologize for lacking some basic knowledge in DSM/Galant tuning, but I am a noob here.