The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: bov sounds as gear changes

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

bov sounds as gear changes

for those turbo with automatic trannys... does ur bov release when u go hard into first and sometimes second gear?? When i get on her on take off my car releases bov air and my car feels like it hesitates and then goes on and into 3rd it will do it slightly if im on it.. I am tapped to the fpr for boost right now as a manifold is one the way but im wondering if its my bov or the vacuum causing it to vent at the time of shifting..
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Its the vacuum, depending on BOV spring pressure, the pressure is vented when the pressure in the charge pipe exceeds the spring pressure and the the vacuum pressure
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Re: bov sounds as gear changes

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathansgalant
    for those turbo with automatic trannys... does ur bov release when u go hard into first and sometimes second gear?? When i get on her on take off my car releases bov air and my car feels like it hesitates and then goes on and into 3rd it will do it slightly if im on it.. I am tapped to the fpr for boost right now as a manifold is one the way but im wondering if its my bov or the vacuum causing it to vent at the time of shifting..
    this is because you are venting your bov

i'm not going to write the same thing i write everytime one of you guys decides to vent their ov to the atmosphere...

breifly
    that hesitation is because yoru a/f ratio probably hit the peg at rich...
    i'm guessing somethign like 7 or 8 a/f

do some searching on venting your bov

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

bov

I am talking venting in the sense that the bov is venting the air but i am now recirculated.. I heard u the first time DOHC I am not running rich when the bov opens and the car runs perfect on idle or deceleration.. I just happen to notice that the bov is opening when the gear changes in first and im going pretty fast.. But when it does the car just stops briefly and then lurches forward with the boost buildup..

do you think that i should get an adjustable and tighten the springs so it doesnt release when changing gears or is this normal??? thanks for the replys
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

what bov do you run?

sounds as if your bov may be leaking.

if you hold your pedal to the floor.... the pressure between manidolf and charge pipes wil be equal....
    hence weather the turbo looses its spool between shifts is not an issue...

if yoru bov makes any soudns at all between shifts, if you aren't letting off the throttle... then you have a leaky bov.

have you even done a boost leak test yet?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

boost

yup and fixed the problems but then i rearranged my piping and i havent yet.. but i did find the problem... my bov recirc line got toasted so i replaced it and heatwrapped it for now.. Had a nice tear on the intake turbo side-- no more problems.. feels like stock driveability with nice non hesitant power.. thanks for the help..

o side note -- i saw a small amount of oil in my turbo inlet very small and also i noticed some cloggage where my boost gauge was tapped into the manifold ?? i changed the t to a larger flowing t but is the oil normal?? im guessing its coming from the valve cover port? thanks again

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    More then likely if your breather line is directed back to the intake pipe if you dont have an oil catch can.
    7g for life!

install a new pcv valve.... not one from a parts store, but a real OEM one form the dealer.
    this will help eliminate a major boost leak, as well as help with blowby.

to eliminate the oil in the compressor inlet, you'll have to get a catch can, and empty it regularly.
    sidenote..
    if you have oil in your charge pipes, you have oil in your intercooler.
    oil in your intercooler reduces its cooling efficiency.
    and without timming control... you don't want anything to come between you and cold intake temps

1994 Galant GS-Turbo