The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: GS Motor Swap

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
    phizz2k

GS Motor Swap

If you had to change the motor out of a 97 Galant. Would a gs motor be a good choice to go with and turbo.

Also would you need the gs ecu or would the curent one work...
    If you went with an eprom what year would you need 1g or 2g?
    Would the wiring harness work with the different ecu's?

Just a few question's I was wondering about...

i need a couple answered to about almost similar question, what modding needs to be done to a 94' gs's harness to do the 63T swap?

not trying to jack the post but get all the answers in one spot.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Proto
    phizz:
    For the GS engine you need a GS ecu (I have one). For EProm you would want the ECU from a 95 GST or GSX. You could do a 6 bolt 63T swap with more aftermarket but you could build the 2.4 DOHC like I'm doing my old GS engine and have one hell of engine.

kolio:
    I'm unsure about the wiring since I've never done a 63T swap.

phizz2k
    Well the Only reason I ask is because I've change a lot of things on my galant and plan on keeping it for a long time...

I expect the engine to go out and I would like to have a bigger or better option in place when I swap...

I noticed a 94gs motor on ebay for about 450.00 :twisted: and the ecu but I duno what else would be needed to make the swap possible...

Proto
    theres no GS motor on ebay..

Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    phizz:
    For the GS engine you need a GS ecu (I have one). For EProm you would want the ECU from a 95 GST or GSX. You could do a 6 bolt 63T swap with more aftermarket but you could build the 2.4 DOHC like I'm doing my old GS engine and have one hell of engine.
    my only problem with the 4g64/63 hybrid is that it cant spin up as fast as the 4g63 can
    the extra rotation has been known to cause the rev limit of your engine to be as low as 6k rpm while the '63 can easily spin to 7.5 or 8k

Quote Originally Posted by frag_daddy_2007
    phizz:
    my only problem with the 4g64/63 hybrid is that it cant spin up as fast as the 4g63 can
    the extra rotation has been known to cause the rev limit of your engine to be as low as 6k rpm while the '63 can easily spin to 7.5 or 8k
    extra rotation?
    last i heard ever motor out there rotated to the same degree... 360.

they don't rev as high because of steep rod angles. which leads to excessive piston speed.
    the pistons literally move so fast at those high rpms that the cylinder cannot be filled with a substantial amount of air. so you can rev that high, but it creates a lot of friction, andn because of volumetric limitations.. is pointless.

but who cares about revving to the moon when you can have a torque monster for the street.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

phizz2k
    theres no GS motor on ebay..
    Not so fast

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-...mZ200058976587

I'll proably go with a well built 4g63 unless I can come across a better deal...

i mean as in the rotational weight
    the 4g64 crank has more weight than the 63 crank, therefor when it comes to rotating at high speeds it has a limit to what it can do unless it is lightened
    there is a local here in pc who has this hybrid motor, that is just what he said anyway...

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    you shouldn't cut yourself short and just say "probably go with a built 4g63". the power difference between the 2L and 2.4L is [relatively] monumental.

it's always the same case on tuners: someone builds a 2.4L and swears off 2L for life, and all the 2L guys refuse to believe it until they go the same route themselves. the fact that i can instantly spool a 13G at any rpms in any gears says a lot since the 4g63 that it came off of wouldn't get that puppy rolling until halfway through the powerband. whenever i race a GST/GSX the race is always me just owning the shit out of him until the turbo spools, then he has to play catchup and kicks my ass in the end.....

picking the 2L will give you the rev happy motor, if you're into that thing, but the powerband won't be as flat or powerful. considering the engine blocks are identical, why not get the 2.4L since it's bigger power in the same size powerplant?

dropping a stock GS motor in and turboing it always bothers me because the compression is higher compared to the SOHC 2.4L in the 7g. you're better off making safer power with a stock sohc 64 block compared to the dohc.

you would need the GS ecu if you dropped in a GS motor since it uses coilpacks instead of a distributor, and there's a few other reasons....

eprom chips were only found in 95 dsm and some mitsu ECUs.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

phizz2k
    OK Peano, so a better worth while build would be to pull the orignal 4g64 and swap to an 4g63 head with a nice sized turbo...
    ( I'll proably go with the evo3 I got a while back)

I just got to figure out the proper way to replace the ecu.. I would perfer to get a 2g eprom ecu and just plug it into the harness.. But I sure its not that easy :?

anybody ever think of just swapping in the 4g64 DOHC engine, not just swapping the head?
    sounds safer to me...

Proto
    GS Motor > Hybrid

6 bolt hybrid.... owns the fuck out of gs motor

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frag_daddy_2007
    anybody ever think of just swapping in the 4g64 DOHC engine, not just swapping the head?
    sounds safer to me...
    lol i'm sure a lot of people think of that all day long....but swapping an entire head is a little more attractive to some people than swapping an entire engine
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

TGC Regular
    why is this in the member pics page? :?:

when is we gon be free????

phizz2k
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodgson316
    why is this in the member pics page? :?:
    ya??

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Good call, moved :P
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    7G's dont have a rev limiter or speed govenuer. Not the earlier 94's anyway

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    7G's dont have a rev limiter or speed govenuer. Not the earlier 94's anyway
    speed governer no, but mine sure as hell has a rev limiter. it stops it at 6000 on the dot when i have it turned on (i put a switch on mine)