The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alternator

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Alternator

The mechanic today told me that my alternator is putting out too many amps, do u guys think that by adding amplifiers and more electronics that it will balance it out? I dont wanna switch it for a weaker alternator and then not get it to supply enough power to the electronics.

too many amps?
    i didnt think that that was possible
    is it damaging your wiring or something?
    he could be trying to take you on this one, most 7g cars have an issue of not having enough power in the system, not too much (hence the dimming lights when the engine isnt revved)

Quote Originally Posted by frag_daddy_2007
    too many amps?
    i didnt think that that was possible
    is it damaging your wiring or something?
    he could be trying to take you on this one, most 7g cars have an issue of not having enough power in the system, not too much (hence the dimming lights when the engine isnt revved)

Its a new alternator and the mechanic was checking the battery for me because the battery i had before was over charged i guess and it let out this terrible smell. So on the meter the arrow was way over what it was supposed to be, and everyone of my headlight has blown out except for one hi beam which i accidently grounded with my fog lights. all i wanted to do as tighten the belt not get another alternator, now i gotta decided does that hear bleeding screech really bother me? or should i pay about 250 something to get a new one with the new belt?

Proto
    buy a new alt belt. Spray the pullies with grease lightning, let it sit for a min then wipe off. install the new belt. Fixed the loud squeal on my 2G.

Quote Originally Posted by Proto
    buy a new alt belt. Spray the pullies with grease lightning, let it sit for a min then wipe off. install the new belt. Fixed the loud squeal on my 2G.

Cool, thanks.

Yes, it is possible for an alternator to overcharge. If left alone it will not only kill your battery, but can also melt your wiring. About two weeks ago we had a Mustang with an overcharging alternator that melted half the wiring harness. Ended up costing the customer over $700 in parts and labor to replace all the burnt wiring harness. Go ahead and replace the alternator, if it's new it's under waranty definitely don't leave it alone!
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.