The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alternate Glove Box Rattle/Gap Fix

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 29

Alternate Glove Box Rattle/Gap Fix

My car, like so many others on this forum, began rattling obnoxiously at idle. Maybe it was the polyurethane motor mounts, and perhaps it was just time. I tried the "bend it" fix described on club3g, but all it did was make it impossible to close my glovebox.

It seems that the weight of the glove box actually causes the plastic support that the hook mounts to to sag. The glovebox no longer mates with the rubber supports on the dash and starts to rattle.

The first thing I did was to remove that 8 lbs. metal plate in the glove box door. Hopefully that will stop the hook from sagging even more in the future.

Next, I removed the hook, put it in a vice grip, and hit it with the side of a chisel and a mallet. Be careful; the metal is very malleable. I went back and forth from the glovebox to the vice, test fitting it.

Eventually I bent the metal in so far, that the hook would hit the back of the glovebox before the latch could close. To fix this, I used a table grinder to take some metal off of the hook. I continued test fitting, until I eventually got a good fit.

Then, I took a dremel with a fine grinder and smoothed the hook out so that I wouldn't cut myself reaching into my glovebox. I added a little black paint, and the job was complete--no more gap, and no more rattle.

The finished product:

Experienced TGC Member
    pics of the box wit no gap????

TGC Regular
    pics of the process????

Experienced TGC Member Kalamidad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lKoRTy
    pics of the process????
    yeah please. Although, if you didn't take them while you where doing it it's probably too late.

oh, and thanks for the heads up.
    -Pedro

awww man if i was chik id suck yo d*%k right now lol no homo great tutorial did it last night i must say it was perfect perfect perfect!!! everyone should do this with the glove problem.all i did was remove the lock and the latch got a hammer place the horizontal park ok the latch on the corner part of the curb(yes the curb on the street)or anything solid and TAPED it lightly and continued test fitting into the lock till i couldnt move the latch out of the lock up and down.no triming or anything.i removed the metal plate also i can not figure out why in the hell that thing is in there.hope this helps the tutorial no gap by the way
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

Sorry guys, no pics of the process. I did this at my parents house on a whim; the camera was at my apt. I'll get some finished pics up next time I see daylight (probably this weekend).

Fixored... Wish I had a before pic to show you, but you all probably have a fine example of the problem at home if you're reading this thread.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    ur my savior!

I love you and I'm doing this ASAP. If you all would like, I'll provide a before pic.

great quick fix thanks

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Good tutorial man! I will be doing this fix next weekend. My lady will be surely happy..because that glovebox rattle irritates her.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

TGC Regular

Re: 8G - Alternate Glove Box Rattle/Gap Fix

Quote Originally Posted by shiznit013

The first thing I did was to remove that 8 lbs. metal plate in the glove box door. Hopefully that will stop the hook from sagging even more in the future.
    What 8lb metal plate are you talking about??

Re: 8G - Alternate Glove Box Rattle/Gap Fix

Quote Originally Posted by Cheekz185
    Quote Originally Posted by shiznit013

What 8lb metal plate are you talking about??
    its a big metal plate that is 'inside' your glovebox door. you have to take it out, unfasten all the screws and you'll the a huge heavy metal plating

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Did this fix last weekend and it fixed the problem. Removing that glove box plate makes a huge weight difference too. Great tutorial!

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

sweet
    www.anti-rice.com

lasthopeskrispy: so i was fucking this guy in the ass over the weekend and you know what he decides to do....he reaches around and cups my balls. I was like hey what a fag!

my glove compartment actually broke because of all the weight, so i cant open the glove compartment now, does anyone know where i can get a replacement glove compartment, already went to salvage yrd and this is the second one that has broken on me...

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator View Post
    its a big metal plate that is 'inside' your glovebox door. you have to take it out, unfasten all the screws and you'll the a huge heavy metal plating
    First time a friend of mine got in my car, I told him to get in the glove box to get something for me, he pulled the latch and that heavy shit slammed down HARD! I thought he broke it right off the hinges. I never knew why the hell the glove box weighed so much......my mom's car's glovebox is one finger open and close. And I never knew you could take that weight out. Even if you don't care how heavy the glovebox is,,,,it's really good to know if you're looking for weight savings. I know what I'll be doing tomorrow...8lbs. GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by Russdogs View Post
    my glove compartment actually broke because of all the weight, so i cant open the glove compartment now, does anyone know where i can get a replacement glove compartment, already went to salvage yrd and this is the second one that has broken on me...
    Are you still looking for a glovebox??? Ill sell my spare for 20$$ + shipping?!

I just did this today. BEST free and beneficial mod EVER!!!! Took like 10 minutes, and all you need is a philips screwdriver and a T20 torx bit.
    Here's pics of the metal plate you will be removing:

Just be sure to not overtighten the screws when you put it back together or the plastic may bend or crack. Thanks Shiznit013 so much for this info!

EDIT: I think that metal plate has something to do with protection from the passenger airbag, but oh well if it does,,,,there are plenty of cars w/passenger airbags and no 8 lb. armor protection in their glove boxes.
    Last edited by boochieboy; 03-26-2009 at 08:38 PM

yea im still looking for one, what color interior is your g?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast