The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: immobilizer key

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar

immobilizer key

went to the dealer cause i wanted to get a spare key (02 es) since i only have one,the guy told me it would be 60 bucks cause all 02's have immobilizers and that i would have to get it programmed,i was like wtf i've never seen the light come on in the dash,and he was like test it out disconnect your battery for 30 mins your car won't start when you reconnect it cause you have to reprogram it is this a load of crap or what?

8g Galants all have chips in the key... Ask your installer if you can just get it programmed and not cut, some will be able to work like that and it can save you a little money. Cost me $80 to have mine cut and programmed when I was doing the same thing.

Not a load of crap. You want to do a real test, remove the plastic around the steering column. then if you look at the key cylinder you'll see 2 blue wires going into a 2 pin harness. Disconnect that harness and try to start the car. All that will happen is the engine will crank. The green light in the dash with the picture of the key will light up too.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

$60 isnt that bad. it cost me $100 for 2 and that was a good deal

the 02's do have an immobilizer like everyone has said.

but, disconnecting your battery isn't gonna make your car forget the program. i've had my car sit for weeks without the battery connected and the car started up just fine.

60 bucks isn't that bad. thats like 1 hr of labor, probably less.

i've seen like locksmiths at the mall that claim that they can program keys for you. don't know how that works or how much they cost. never really needed a key. but you might want to look into that.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by Niytrus
    8g Galants all have chips in the key...
    nope not true, the 99's dont :D

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    from 01 and up they have chips... my key only cost 5 dollars to buy and cut..

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87
    from 01 and up they have chips... my key only cost 5 dollars to buy and cut..
    my 2k has a chip.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    thanks for clearing this up guys

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    the 02's do have an immobilizer like everyone has said.

but, disconnecting your battery isn't gonna make your car forget the program. i've had my car sit for weeks without the battery connected and the car started up just fine.

60 bucks isn't that bad. thats like 1 hr of labor, probably less.

i've seen like locksmiths at the mall that claim that they can program keys for you. don't know how that works or how much they cost. never really needed a key. but you might want to look into that.
    can lockmiths do that? i thought only the dealership can deal with that stuff?
    I say whats on my mind. Dont like it dont read my comments.

I need a key soon...I have a 2k....I don't think mine has a chip.

I just got it done on my 02'. $140 bucks at the dealership out the door. Mobile locksmith quoted me 225 out the door. They told me the key has to be OEM from the dealership, and they can program it for your car. He told me they cant use an aftermarket key for the mitsubishi's. It blows that it cost that much but i guess its worth it for that extra amount of security. my .02...dont lose your keys like I did!!
    02 Galant ES I4 ~ DD. JDM Kit/BBS LM Gold/D2/EvoRecaro/EGR/JL Audio/Eclipse Audio/Greddy/Injen/Project Kics/Brembos
    2010 Lexus IS350c Tungsten Pearl Mica/Volk GTM/H&R Springs/F sport intake/Project Kics/Lems Shift knob
    2010 Lexus IS-F Ultrasonic Blue/Volk TE37/HKS Hipermax IV GT/Ventross Kit/Lexon/JoezPerformance/Tom's/Project Kics/RR-racing tune
    2009 Acura TL w/Tech package A-spec Kit/ BBS LM/Tein