The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: X Pipe

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14

X Pipe

would an X pipe add horse power to our stock motor with dual Exahust?
    Dreams Do Come True

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    so you've got dual exhaust??? i don't think a dual is a good idea if you're N/A.. now unless you plan on going supercharged, i think an x pipe would do some purpose.. but N/A wise, not a good idea.. unless you're a v8.. but dual it if you are a v6.. I4.. rice.. remember x pipe would really do good on v6 and up due to the power from all the cylinders compared to an h type.. but with an I4, might have some loss in torque..

How do you plan on installing the x-pipe? And yeah you would probably lose power by going to a dual exhaust
    since an I4 really isn't big enough to need that much airflow. Just go with a 2.5" system from the cat back and youll
    notice better power.

Experienced TGC Member
    It is a waste of time and money on a n/a 4 banger. You will lose power!!
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4
    cosigned, he's into show not go though....
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peanotation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4
    cosigned, he's into show not go though....
    Even if it was for show purpose he is better off with a y split than a x pipe.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

in order to use an x-pipe u need true dual exhaust meaning 4-2-"X"-2 exhaust. on a V6 you might be able to do this but on an i4, it's total overkill and totally useless bordering on stupid. duals are much more common on V motors not I motors.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    the power loss you would suffer if you actually split the header runners into 2 different exhaust streams would be severe....not to mention your mileage would take a dump all over your face

unless you went dual 1.125" even then i'm not sure it would work
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    if you have the unneccisary need for a dual i would just do the y pipe, the x pipe would call for fabbing up a new exhaust manifold and your hp numbers wouldnt see any gain, probroblly a loss if anything... for all that money you are better off doing something else

thanks for the advice
    Dreams Do Come True

Experienced TGC Member Blue Ice's Avatar
    the other thing i'd be concerned about is i don't think the under carriage is built for two pipes, i know there's the one canal pretty much enough for one pipe.

But even in Show form you have to be careful. Some judges know that dual exhaust won't work with most imports. For instance, a judge will look at your car's interior, exterior, performance, and i.c.e. Most judges these days look at the exhaust as a part of performance. They see dual exhaust, they'll be looking for something beefy under the hood. Some judges (due to personal preferance) may dock you points because of the "rice" factor. Now, take the money you want to put toward dual and get you a 5Zigen or Apexi, or some crazy brand name, and you'll probably get more points.

just my $.02 USD.... with is really worth less than .01 EUR

what are the websites and what do i need to look for like a 2G Eclipse or do they have it just for the 7G galant ??
    Dreams Do Come True

If you're going to do the 5Zigen, honestly it'd be cheaper to get the Muffler and have the 2.5 exhaust ran at the muffler shop. 3 inch exhaust will be to much for the N/A Sohc, so stick with 2.5. You might have to pull teeth to get the shop to cut the cat out, and all depends on you're states laws, if you want to battle that.

here's my thoughts for suggestions, i'm curious to what others might think .

1. RPW (RPG?) Headers (made for 7g galant)
    2. 2.5 High flow Cat,(ebay it, judges won't be that far under the car unless you have it over mirrors)
    3. 2.5 Muffler Shop piping (you can then claim the title "Custom")
    4a. 5Zigen (if you like dbls, they can be pretty loud)
    4b. Apexi or HKS( Big names but not quite as loud)
    4c. Magna Flow or OBX

Quote Originally Posted by Stolyn
    what are the websites and what do i need to look for like a 2G Eclipse or do they have it just for the 7G galant ??
    The muffler's will be universal fit. you just might make sure they have 2.5 inlets on the muffler. you also might need to get a 2.5 flex pipe to go from the header to cat.