The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: help a noob

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

help a noob

okay so i wanna go turbo in the near future.

will this turbo work? is it decent? i only want around 8 psi.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Turbo...QQcmdZViewItem

where can i get an exhaust manifold?
    i cant find where to buy one anywhere.

i have a 01 gtz, v6.

oh yea, how long would stock internals last on 8psi?

i'm no turbo buff, but t25 are crappy. i hear they suck big balls. one of the turbo guys, seth, john, matt....... somebody can tell you what to look for

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

I'm pretty sure a T25 is going to be ridiculously small for your V6, if I was you I would look for something
    at least the size of a 16G but then again I don't know what works out well for a six cylinder. I'm sure
    someone else can point you in the right direction a little better.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    T25 would be worthless on a v6. Thats a Nissan turbo anyway, youd have to weld up a Nisaan flange to a custom manifold.
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    that turbo is a piece of crap, i don't even think it's genuine. the V6 requires a meaty turbo....see what all the other V6-T guys are running, read their threads and you'll see why they went the route they did
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

Not sure about the rest of the internals, but the engine block is rated to 10 psi if I remember correctly. Check out www.tearstone.com . They have tons of quality parts for our car and occasionally they have a turbo kit available. Our new friends at Ryu Turbos will be releasing a kit soon as well. Check the thread in this forum on that subject. www.turbokits.com also has a decent looking kit for the V6 8G.

http://www.turbokits.com/galant_turbo_kits.html

EDIT - oh yeah, if you go with turbokits.com, join www.teamscp1.com first. They get their members $100-500 off kits from them and the membership is about $90 a year.

yea i know i can buy a kit... i was just wondering is this would work cause its 200 dollars vs. 3000. and im pretty sure i could get all the other stuff for under 2800.

and i looked at tearstone and i cant find an exhaust manifold. is the only way to get one to buy a kit?

so all these kits are bad then?
    http://www.importperformanceparts.ne...itsubishi.html
    cause they use that turbo i believe.

also, wouldnt a smaller turbo be better for 8 psi? less lagg?
    i mean if two turbos deliver the same power wouldnt the smaller one be better?

Even if you are planning on running 2 turbos, you will need something around the size of a 14b or else the V6 is just too big for the turbo. That's why I said before that you need to find a decent sized turbo for the V6 if you are planning on running a single turbo setup.

Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior
    Even if you are planning on running 2 turbos, you will need something around the size of a 14b or else the V6 is just too big for the turbo. That's why I said before that you need to find a decent sized turbo for the V6 if you are planning on running a single turbo setup.
    lol thats not what i meant.

what do you mean v6 is too big? im a noob, why would the size of the turbo matter if it delivers 8 psi?

im just trying to learn.

nevermind i see what your saying. lol

Turbokits.com also sells the snails by themselves if'n ya decide to pioneer your own setup.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dknight3

what do you mean v6 is too big? im a noob, why would the size of the turbo matter if it delivers 8 psi?

im just trying to learn.
    A big motor mated with a small undersized turbo will spool up the turbo almost instantaneously. Usually turbo's from factory are engineered to go with the engines powerband for performace and driveability to.

A t25 mated along with a V6 will spool up probably in the 2000rpm range if anything a little bit lower. Yes..you will get your boost at 2000 ish Rpms, but beyond that the turbo becomes inefficient beyond that range so you won't have as much power up top compared to the lower rpms. Another way to look at it is a tiny turbo will have to work 10x's as hard to maintain 8psi of boost compared to a larger turbo that can not only maintain 8psi with less strain, but do it more effeciently feeding cooler air than compared a tiny turbo would at the same ranges.

Ideally you would like to see your turbo spool around the 3000-3300 rpm range, usually it will stay effecient through most of your power band. You could get more technical and look at turbo compressor maps and compare to your motors power band and choose which turbo is ideal with your setup. Of if you just want to install a good budget turbo setup...alot of the 3KGT/Stealth guys use twin big 16g's and make good power.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

alright well there seems to be a lot of issues with turbocharging and its way harder and expensive than i imagined so im gunna hold off a little while.

no issues......it's just not something you throw together in a few days

1994 Galant GS 5spd

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    alright well there seems to be a lot of issues with turbocharging and its way harder and expensive than i imagined so im gunna hold off a little while.
    Its really not that hard..just take your time on it and do some research before you embark on a project to turbo your car. It took me about a year to gather parts and research on a turbo car so I understood how a forced inducted motor works. It took me a week to install the turbo setup myself but I was able to have a good running turbo car. I chose to start off with a simple setup not only because it was in my budget but because it was going to be my hands on learning process. I thought it wasn't a smart move for me to go all out on my first try and not having the time to truly understand owning a turbo car. You can read all the books and online info, but its really nothing when you actually have hands on experience with a turbo car.

I had the car running for about a year 1/2 and after I felt confident I could go on the next step on what I truly wanted to the car to be, I started to work on the new setup which I am currently doing on my 7g.

Just don't rush into it and don't cut corners when you do decide to turbo you car. Using "cheap" stuff and cutting corners will only lead into problems. Like what Matt said in his last post...its not something you can throw together in a few days.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

wait a second... cant i just go to pick a part and snatch a turbo from an eclipse?
    or iat least i could get the exhaust manifold?

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    Its really not that hard..just take your time on it and do some research before you embark on a project to turbo your car. It took me about a year to gather parts and research on a turbo car so I understood how a forced inducted motor works. It took me a week to install the turbo setup myself but I was able to have a good running turbo car. I chose to start off with a simple setup not only because it was in my budget but because it was going to be my hands on learning process. I thought it wasn't a smart move for me to go all out on my first try and not having the time to truly understand owning a turbo car. You can read all the books and online info, but its really nothing when you actually have hands on experience with a turbo car.

I had the car running for about a year 1/2 and after I felt confident I could go on the next step on what I truly wanted to the car to be, I started to work on the new setup which I am currently doing on my 7g.

Just don't rush into it and don't cut corners when you do decide to turbo you car. Using "cheap" stuff and cutting corners will only lead into problems. Like what Matt said in his last post...its not something you can throw together in a few days.
    perfectly said. when i approached my turbo build the same way, i always knew that different mods would do different things, but i really learned to appreciate what they all did. i saw why better BOVs worked better, because they didn't leak, or were more responsive, or whatever. i had always known that external wastegates were more efficient than internally gated turbos, but once i did my project i really saw and understood the difference it would give me, and began to appreciate every little nuance in a turbo build. then i saw that with turbo cars, you can really get a little window into someone's personality, just by looking under their hood....

1994 Galant GS 5spd