The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installed Killer Glass illuminated pyrex radiator hose today

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 83
    i highly doubt that the pyrax messes anything up because the company would not be selling it or they would give a cautoon note, those thing probly go thru alot of testing before they go out on the market...also the air bubble probly happened because u didmt have the coolant filled all the way

pyrax needs to make one for the headers so everyone can see the black smoke :smt028

neat idea, just to $$$...rice is in the eye of the beholder
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot
    pyrax needs to make one for the headers so everyone can see the black smoke :smt028
    Only if it comes with strobe illumination that strobes in time with RPM.

Quote Originally Posted by alexvr
    in person it looks really neat becasuse u see the coolaant flowwing...mindwerks: give it some gas man ull see the coolant just get sucked in and move all crazy in there

fishboy man do u know about heat n performance?? that is the heat wrap that keeps ur intake alot cooler thn not having crap so lets say if both of u r i4 with intakes, the chances of him winning not by alot, but winning are more than u winniing.. u would be surprised what lil things lik that can do
    My intake pipe is neatly wrapped with non-metallic header wrap and tied off and doesn't look like a badly wrapped Xmas present. And by the way, if you wrap a metal pipe with metallic wrap, how much heat do you think it prevents anyway? As far as an advantage on the track, not even worth mentioning like qnz said.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

It's fiberglass cloth with a metallic heat reflective surface facing out. You'll notice I tied it off at the ends with some of their heat reflective tape.

Are you sure that was a good idea with the wrap you used? The stuff I used is specifically designed to keep heat out of a pipe, while exhaust wrap is specifically designed to make a pipe as hot as possible without melting it.

As far as track advantage; if it's not worth mentioning, why is it on so many dedicated track cars? And why did I have to goto a dedicated track racing shop to purchase it?

Fyi - wear gloves during install or you WILL be covered in glass fibers by the time you are done. Ouch

because 1% of their hp is like 5hp while 1% of your hp is 1hp.

5hp is still nothing. but these guys would skip eating lunch, just to gain .01 of a second. you'ld probably go faster if you take your spare tire out

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    ...you'ld probably go faster if you take your spare tire out
    I did that too. And the jack. And yes I did notice about the same difference in percieved power gain lol.

thats really cool and defentualy NOT RICE. you guys are retarted if you thyink this is rice. stop giving him shit for doing somthing that he thinks is cool, its not on your car so stop giving him shit

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    it looks cool.

the air bubble is defintely a problem.

and about the bmw coolant. is it compatible with our cars? manufacturers don't color coolant to make them look pretty. they do it more so because of the different chemical makeup between coolants.
    BMW only came up with the "blue" coolant for warrenty purposes only, its the same as the green coolant

i can dig it, i think its cool, never saw it b4, very unique, keep doin ya thing bro :smt023

2001 5 speed 4g64T

Quote Originally Posted by BxGuyaneseKidd
    BMW only came up with the "blue" coolant for warrenty purposes only, its the same as the green coolant
    Good to know! Thanks Kidd.

BTW - everyone who's planning on hitting up the HIN series this year, make sure to check out the Killer Glass display. They're traveling with the show this year showing off prototypes of new products and the KG models. 8)

Quote Originally Posted by mindwerkz
    Quote Originally Posted by BxGuyaneseKidd
    Good to know! Thanks Kidd.

BTW - everyone who's planning on hitting up the HIN series this year, make sure to check out the Killer Glass display. They're traveling with the show this year showing off prototypes of new products and the KG models. 8)
    no prob, anytime bro

Experienced TGC Member
    Quite frankly...i like it! And i woulda boughta Clear hodd for my Galant if they made them for my car. That shit is definitely PIMP. 8)

Experienced TGC Member
    yup thats pimp
    i want one

Experienced TGC Member
    furiousgtz Posted: 20 Mar 2007 10:37 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yup thats pimp
    i want one
    Lemme know if you can find any still for sale. I seen them about 2-3 years ago. But i dont really see them anymore.

Actually a clear hood would be kinda cool for shows. Keep the lines on your car while letting people look at the engine without letting them touch it. Totally wouldn't drive with it unless I had some monster of an engine though.

I guess it looks ok. As other have said its not my cup of tea, but its your car in the end so whatever makes you happy.

First and foremost, all glass that goes by the brand name Pyrex is NOT borosilicate glass. Additionally, borosilicates have high softening points but will crack or fracture with uneven heating though.

As far as borosilicate glass in general holds heat really really well, which is part of the reason that pyrex is used in bakeware. In theory, anything that is at a lower temperature than another object can function as a heat sink. For example, your engine produces heat, you run fluid past engine which is at a lower temperature acts as a heat sink and draws the heat energy away from the metal parts, you then in turn run the fluid through a radiator which only increases the surface area and use the moving air (which acts as a heatsink) to dissapate the heat energy in the fluid. Putting the pyrex in line might stabilize the fluid temperature at a slightly higher temperature because the glass will absorb the radiated heat of the engine and begin to transfer it back to fluid (dynamic process). To test that effect, put a baking glass in the oven for 10 mins and a piece of rubber and see which feel hotter when you take it out. Typical rubber radiator hose is a poor conductor of heat so you don't notice the effect as much. That's the most likely reason the glass is warmer than surronding hose.

/chemistry degree
    Mayonnaise colored Benz---I push Miracle Whips
    -K. West

Thank you professor jusmills :D

Hot Import Nights Chicago info:
    Stop by March 31
    at the McCormick Place
    To see Killerglass

more info...

"What is Killerglass (borosillicate) Glass?

Thanks to a railroad glass scientist needing to create a lantern that got hot but did not shatter when rain or snow got on it we now have pyres glass. The word Pyrex comes from the Greek Word pyro or fire, and Ex which refers to the type of glass. It does not expand or change shape when heated. This may be why Pyrex glass in the 1960s and '70s was used in the windows of the Apollo and Gemini spacecraft.

Composition of Pyrex Glass:
    Density (g/cm3) = 2.23000E+00 Mean Excitation Energy (eV) = 134.000000

Properties Of Borosilicate (PYREX 7740) Glass Chemical Resistance Borosilicate glass is inert to almost all materials with the exception of hydrofluoric acid, hot phosphoric acid and hot alkalies. Of these, hydrofluoric acid has the most serious effect and, even when a solution contains a few parts per million, attack will occur. Phosphoric acid and caustic solutions cause no problems when cold but at elevated temperatures corrosion occurs. Caustic solutions up to 30% concentration can be handled safely at ambient temperatures. Physical Properties: Composition Low-expansion borosilicate glass has the following approximate chemical composition:

SiO2 81%
    Na2O 4.0%
    K2O 0.5 B2O3 13.0%
    Al2O3 2.0%

For further details please refer to ASTM E 438, "Standard Specification for Glasses in Laboratory Apparatus." Linear Coefficient of Expansion: Between 32°F and 572°F [0°C and 300°C], per ASTM Method E 228) 18.1 x 10-7 in/in/7°F 32.5x10-7 cm/cm/°C Annealing: All fittings and all straight lengths are annealed to reduce internal stress. This also makes the pipe easier to field fabricate. Thermal Conductivity: 0.73 Btu/hr-ft2-°F/ft 0.0035 cal/sec-cm2-°C/cm Specific Heat: 0.20 Btu/lb-°F 0.20 cal/gm-°C Dialectric Constant: at 23°C and 1M Hz per ASTM Method D 150: 4.6 ±-0.2 Density: Approximately 139 lb/ft3 (2.23 gm/cm3) Young's Modulus: per ASTM Method C215: in the range of 9 x 106 to 10 x 106 psi. Mechanical Strength: The mechanical properties of glass differ from those of metals. The lack of ductility of glass prevents the equalization of stresses at local irregularities or flaws and the breaking strength varies considerably about a mean value. This latter is commonly found to occur at a tensile strength of about 70 kg/cm2 (1000 psi). The glass should be adequately supported and appropriate allowance should be made for special conditions such as high temperatures, dense liquids, etc. Subject to the above, maximum working pressures are as specified in the following table. Working Temperatures Borosilicate glass retains its mechanical strength and will deform only at temperatures which approach its strain point. The practical upper limit for operating temperatures Is much lower and is controlled by the temperature ditterentials in the glass, which depend on the relative temperatures of the contents of the equipment and the external surroundings. Provided borosilicate glass is not subjected to rapid change in temperature, creating undue thermal shock, it can be operated safely at temperatures up to 450°F (232°C). The normal limiting factor is actually the gasket material. The degree of thermal shock (usually defined as sudden chilling) which it can withstand depends on many factors, for example: stresses due to operating conditions; stresses imposed in supporting the equipment; the wall thickness of the glass, etc. It is therefore undesirable to give an overall figure but, as a general guide, sudden temperature changes of up to about 216°F (120°C) can be accommodated At sub-zero temperatures, the tensile strength of borosilicate glass tends to increase and equipment can be used with safety at cryogenic temperatures.

Chemical Hardening

Killerglass is chemical hardened by our three step hardening process to increase the impact resistance of the borosilicate glass 300-400%
    Making this the ideal product for severe duty applications."

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mindwerkz
    Actually a clear hood would be kinda cool for shows. Keep the lines on your car while letting people look at the engine without letting them touch it. Totally wouldn't drive with it unless I had some monster of an engine though.
    There's a GTO rolling round here in Christchurch with a clear hood, I think it's make from a plastic type substance....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast