The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Serious Brake problems with 01 galant

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17

Serious Brake problems with 01 galant

My fiancee has an 01 Galant and for the last few weeks it was making a very loud grinding noise when she would press the brakes coming from the front left wheel. Three days ago, she had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting another car, and when she did, the front right wheel made a very very loud snapping/popping noise, then the brakes worked perfectly, stopping the car, but then ever since she has had barely any brake pressure whatsoever.. I checked the brake fluid and it was almost empty, so we went to walmart and bought two of the small bottles of brake fluid to put in it, but every time she pressed the brake the fluid level would drop by literally about a quarter of an inch, and when I looked at the ground there was all of the brake fluid I had just poured into the car...

I've taken the wheel off and looked but I honestly don't know anything about brakes or cars for that matter. It doesn't look like there is a leak in the line, so where else could the leak be coming from? And was that popping noise something breaking or was that from the low fluid level? Any help would be very apreciated, thank you...

Re: Serious Brake problems with 01 galant

Quote Originally Posted by jlngbsb
    My fiancee has an 01 Galant and for the last few weeks it was making a very loud grinding noise when she would press the brakes coming from the front left wheel. Three days ago, she had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting another car, and when she did, the front right wheel made a very very loud snapping/popping noise, then the brakes worked perfectly, stopping the car, but then ever since she has had barely any brake pressure whatsoever.. I checked the brake fluid and it was almost empty, so we went to walmart and bought two of the small bottles of brake fluid to put in it, but every time she pressed the brake the fluid level would drop by literally about a quarter of an inch, and when I looked at the ground there was all of the brake fluid I had just poured into the car...

I've taken the wheel off and looked but I honestly don't know anything about brakes or cars for that matter. It doesn't look like there is a leak in the line, so where else could the leak be coming from? And was that popping noise something breaking or was that from the low fluid level? Any help would be very apreciated, thank you...
    get it towed to a shop some where and have them look at it, sounds like something broke when she hit the brakes real hard
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

which side of the car did the fluid leak out at? under the left brake? under the engine under the right brake??? check the master cylinder for any fluid leaking out. if the fluid was under the right or left brake assembly look at the caliper and brake line and the bleeder screw someone may have jus forgot to tighten it.the grinding meens your rotors are warped. u need to get both pads a rotors replaced or get new pads and have your rotors resurfaced.
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

Quote Originally Posted by g-ridda
    which side of the car did the fluid leak out at? under the left brake? under the engine under the right brake??? check the master cylinder for any fluid leaking out. if the fluid was under the right or left brake assembly look at the caliper and brake line and the bleeder screw someone may have jus forgot to tighten it.the grinding meens your rotors are warped. u need to get both pads a rotors replaced or get new pads and have your rotors resurfaced.
    Its going to be much more than just pads and rotors. Sounds like to me you will need at least front pads, both calipers, both rotors, and likely both front brake lines. It could need much more.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Its going to be much more than just pads and rotors. Sounds like to me you will need at least front pads, both calipers, both rotors, and likely both front brake lines. It could need much more.
    how would you know nobody even knows exactly wuts going on.ive had the same grinding on the same side the same year galant same pop on the same side i didnt need to replace anything but rotors and pads why dont u wait till the persons gives more detail before u have them pissing on thierselves cus you sayin they have to buy all this and that.or maybe try asking some questions yourself before u go in to posts thinkin you know more than everyone else
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

how would you know nobody even knows exactly wuts going on.ive had the same grinding on the same side the same year galant same pop on the same side i didnt need to replace anything but rotors and pads why dont u wait till the persons gives more detail before u have them pissing on thierselves cus you sayin they have to buy all this and that.or maybe try asking some questions yourself before u go in to posts thinkin you know more than everyone else
    Blah blah blah get off your high horse you don't need to get all riled up for nothing. Based on what I've read I don't see how it would need anything less. If the caliper piston compresses in an acceptable manner than great they can keep it, but just because thats all yours needed doesn't mean thats only what every car needs when this situation happens.

Why don't you wait and let them get the car inspected before you jump the gun and make them this its less than it may actually be?

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    First where are you located? And second Welcome to TGC

Blah blah blah get off your high horse you don't need to get all riled up for nothing. Based on what I've read I don't see how it would need anything less. If the caliper piston compresses in an acceptable manner than great they can keep it, but just because thats all yours needed doesn't mean thats only what every car needs when this situation happens.

Why don't you wait and let them get the car inspected before you jump the gun and make them this its less than it may actually be?
    if yo ass loked i was asking questions and telling him what to check retard i never told him what he needed or what he didnt need your the one who need to wait not me retard im jus giving him ideas on what to check on get ya shit straight.why waste money gettin all the BS you stated when he can jus try getting new pads and rotors your trien to have him use more money without trying the simple stuff first tale yo ass somewere else.
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

if yo ass loked i was asking questions and telling him what to check retard i never told him what he needed or what he didnt need your the one who need to wait not me retard im jus giving him ideas on what to check on get ya shit straight.why waste money gettin all the BS you stated when he can jus try getting new pads and rotors your trien to have him use more money without trying the simple stuff first tale yo ass somewere else.
    Can you rewrite your post in grammatically and correctly spelled english?

^^
    well if he just got new pads and rotors, that would not solve his leak

Quote Originally Posted by cdipier2
    ^^
    That apparently is besides the point.

^^
    go back and reread what i wrote the first time.i never told him how to fix his leak cus like i said before nobody knows were the leak is coming from so i asked were the damn leak is coming from .i said get new rotors and pads for the grinding not for a leak WTF.
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

^^
    go back and reread what i wrote the first time.i never told him how to fix his leak cus like i said before nobody knows were the leak is coming from so i asked were the damn leak is coming from .i said get new rotors and pads for the grinding not for a leak WTF.
    Reading that makes even less sense. If they actually said they recently had brake work done than maybe some moron could have left the bleeder screw loose, but that done by a reputable shop and not a stupid mechanic would have been caught when they went to back the car out of the shop.

If you'd actually read the post in the first place you might have seen what they actually said, but I guess thats besides the point also....

Why the hell are the two of you (one of which is a mod??) involved in this drama instead of trying to help out a new member with a problem. If you need to argue, take it into PM. What kind of impression do the two of you think you're making for this guy by waving your dicks around about who knows the most about a brake problem without having seen the car. Grow up girls.

jlngbsb, welcome to TGC and don't mind these two ladies strutting their tail feathers. Not everyone on the site is so petty about who knows the most. Follow Luke's advice and get your car towed in to a reputable shop and have them look at at. You might actually want to get a second opinion after you go to the first shop to ensure they aren't trying to take advantage of you.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    Why the hell are the two of you (one of which is a mod??) involved in this drama instead of trying to help out a new member with a problem. If you need to argue, take it into PM. What kind of impression do the two of you think you're making for this guy by waving your dicks around about who knows the most about a brake problem without having seen the car. Grow up girls.

jlngbsb, welcome to TGC and don't mind these two ladies strutting their tail feathers. Not everyone on the site is so petty about who knows the most. Follow Luke's advice and get your car towed in to a reputable shop and have them look at at. You might actually want to get a second opinion after you go to the first shop to ensure they aren't trying to take advantage of you.
    Get over yourself Chip. Its not like you haven't been involved in a dispute before....

seriously guys take it to pm's. It's not worth losing more new members because of a private matter that gets taken to a public forum.

jlngbsb,

Welcome to TGC. Take the car in and get it checked out.

Good Luck,

Phil

Back in the Family!!

Sounds like the brakes were bad to begin with. And when pressing the brakes really hard they either broke the rivits off on the pad. which gave the brakes smoother braking and at the same time probly shot some pad out into the brake line making it burst. I would either take it apart and make a list of parts to replace or take it to a shop.

good luck either way you go.