The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What the hell??? Blinking A/C Light

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

What the hell??? Blinking A/C Light

I was using my A/C last night when suddenly the A/C light on the dial began to intermittently blink on and off. My A/C also stopped working just the fan was blowing.

This morning the A/C was working fine. Any ideas what the hell just happened??? :shock:
    330ci

Two things maybe wrong"

1. Was it raining hard that day? The outside vents suck in air unless you use the inside vents. If there's little air from the outside then the a/c light blinks indicating you need to switch to inside vents. This also happens when the air is humid after a rain storm.

2. The blinking light indicates your A/C refrigerant is running low. Fill it up with R-134a.

I think it was problem #1

Quote Originally Posted by G-spot
    Two things maybe wrong"

1. Was it raining hard that day? The outside vents suck in air unless you use the inside vents. If there's little air from the outside then the a/c light blinks indicating you need to switch to inside vents. This also happens when the air is humid after a rain storm.

2. The blinking light indicates your A/C refrigerant is running low. Fill it up with R-134a.

I think it was problem #1
    Yeah, it was fucking down pouring! This makes sense because if I remember correctly when you use the defroster it only uses the outside air, correct? I tried to use my defroster when it began to rain.
    330ci

blinking light signifies only one thing.
    the belt was slipping (or it THOUGHT it was slipping).

my belt slips everytime it rains or its cold and my a/c light has never ever blinked
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

then your AC belt isnt the one thats slipping.

This happened to me yesterday. I drove the car 10 miles to church, then 15 miles to my parents and it worked fine the whole time. When I left to go home it worked at first but did start blinking after about 2 miles and the a/c stopped working. Later that night it seemed to be working normally when I started the car and ran it for 5 minutes. The weather was dry and around 85-90. So is the problem a belt problem or a refrigerant problem?

Quote Originally Posted by keithert
    This happened to me yesterday. I drove the car 10 miles to church, then 15 miles to my parents and it worked fine the whole time. When I left to go home it worked at first but did start blinking after about 2 miles and the a/c stopped working. Later that night it seemed to be working normally when I started the car and ran it for 5 minutes. The weather was dry and around 85-90. So is the problem a belt problem or a refrigerant problem?
    It's gotta be the belt slipping. A problem with the refrigerant won't make the light blink.

the belt could be possibly really warn too. you should check it out

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Keithert when was the last time you changed your accessory belts?

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Or the clutch slips, thats what mine does, all the time, I think the compressors locking up, but the clutch is worn out and slipping instead of slipping on the belt.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    Or the clutch slips, thats what mine does, all the time, I think the compressors locking up, but the clutch is worn out and slipping instead of slipping on the belt.
    is the clutch in a compressor easy to change?

2011 Camry- 202 miles- just picked up 9/10/10
    2008 Pontiac G6- 26,065 miles- traded in
    1999 Galant ES- 91,846 miles- long gone

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    You might as well just change the whole thing...

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

You need a new orface tube and dryer everytime you open up an a/c system. I'm more of thinking about removing it alltogether.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com