The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: All Gs: How to "properly" search junk yard

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

All Gs: How to "properly" search junk yard

This is from past experience searching Junk Yards for car parts. Some experiences were good and some were not. Just trying to save you the trouble. 8)

If you are bilingual and know spanish under your belt, then this tutorial will help you out.

This tutorial will help you find the stuff needed and save you time. Failure to follow the guidlines may result in banishment from the junkyard or imprisonment. :evil: (I'm not kidding, I ALMOST faced the imprisonment option)

1. First, you want to search your local yellow pages for the closest junkyard. Remember that junkyard (JY) owners tends to work with other JYs (union) so it's usually located within a district (eg. Junk Yard District).

2. Next, only go to a junkyard where they specialize in foreign vehicles. Searching for Galant parts would be difficult in an all domestic yard (unless you're looking for Chrysler/Dodge/Eagle only parts).

3. If you find one that suits you, enter through the FRONT DOOR NOT THE SIDE EXIT. Side exit doors are for incoming and outgoing junk cars and not meant for paying customers. Doing so they will arrest you for trespassing.

4. When greeting the manager, tell him your name, ask his first name, and his contact number (which I'll explain later). There is a high chance he may or not speak clean english so don't make the conversation difficult for both of you.

5. The manager will then ask you what part are you looking for. Please by don't ask for "I'm just looking what's avaliable" because that's a code word for "I'm gonna find an opportunity to steal your ass!". If you are looking for, example 2002 8G GTZ, do not say the following:

a. I am looking for parts for 2002 Galant GTZ
    - Number 1. the manager isn't stupid nor is he super smart. He knows what a Galant is but the 2002 and the GTZ may confuse him. He may simply say there's are no parts in stock or we don't have a 2002 year model.

b. I am looking for parts on 02-03 Galant GTZ
    - Number 2. once again you mentioned GTZ trim. The chances for a GTZ to ever grace a junkyard would be you being attack by a great white shark in waters of Nova Scotia. 02-03 years are quite recent so there may not be many to choose from.

Correct way:
    I am looking for parts on 1999 Galant or newer
    Remember 1999 also has GTZ models (minus the CF trims) the choices are broader and may find the part suitable for you.

Junkyard Manners

a. Don't bring your tools
    - Unless if it's a "Pick n Pull" the techs employed will do the pulling for you. This is both a safety rule for both the JY and the customer. Not to mention grand thef auto. There is an exception for those who are certified techs for bodyshop and mechanics.

b. Wear "mechanic clothes"
    - You wear what you are. Simple as that. Managers charge customers on how they look, dress, and act. Folks wearing clean clothes is a giveaway for expensive prices at the registar. Wear outdoor clothes, jeans, and dirty shoes.

- DO NOT WEAR "BAGGY PANTS" Sweats for they may suspect you for stealing!!!

c. Price Quote
    - in you haven't recieved the contact number already, this will be a good time to do so. Before any parts be taken out from the car, you want to call the manager for a price quote. Depending whether the prices are high or not, you will save time. No need to take parts out and find out you don't want them for the prices given.

d. Ask the employees for help
    - They are there for a reason. They are not zombies so it's okay to ask them for help. Most are hourly paid and some are paid commision for the work they do. They are there to protect you from any damages done in the yard. And they are there to keep your hands clean from dirt. :D

e. Bring Cash
    - most yard don't favor the use of credit cards for obvious reasons. So bring enough cash to make a transaction. If you find one that do accept credit card, expect the overall prices to be a slightly higher than others.

I hope this tutorial helps you in any way.

I'd like to thank myself, Phil, Cherokee, Chad, Rez, John, Dan, and Pedro for all the experiences that made this tutorial possible 8)

TGC Regular
    lol. thats a good one. i guess thats why they never have the parts for me or charge a shit load.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Thats why you just go to Pic-n-pulls or U-wrench-its :)
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member 02redgalant's Avatar
    man i wish i had this 2 months ago when i was looking for my rear conversion lol

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    i guess i should just leave the gun at home too!!!!! good one though..

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    nice

useful info for the next junking trip lol

haha good one man....

Appreciate, very helpful:)
    03 ES I-4 stock
    project done:
    Self Tinted
    Self tranny fluid changed
    Self oil change
    Next protject: Timing belt change

good post