The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Official CarPC Thread.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

Official CarPC Thread.

Post up your setups here or pics. Im thinking about making one. I have a microATX mobo with onboard video and a Sempron 1.8GHz processor I probably will use. Might get a laptop hard drive or a standard internal along with an external CD/DVD player and 512-1gb of ram. What kind of power should that be sucking up? Would the Opus 150 or 220 be sufficient?

Post up your CarPC specs, I am curious :)

(Dont clutter the thread with pics, just post one and link to more, thread is mainly about the specifications and components in your setup :) )
    7g for life!

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Biostar MNCG micro atx with mobile amd 35w 2400= (overclocked)
    Xenarc Touchscreen
    I guidance and gps
    Road Runner for apps
    Opus 250 for power

I would show you but unfortunately that whole thread i had is or was deleted along with my pics etc...........

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

They werent deleted, they were "pruned" :P

I think I will try my Sempron and see how much power it takes up, if it uses too much Ill just try to get ahold of the 754 AMD Mobile chips.
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    Mines nothing special. Just what I need to get the job done.

HP Pavilion 6683
    Intel Celeron 533MHz
    64mb ram
    Western Digital 20gb hard drive
    DVD

It's still in the stock case but I plan to move it into something different a little later.

I also have a Linksys Wireless G card to install so I will be able to surf if I find an unsecured WiFi connection. Plus I can pull in my garage and transfer any new songs or whatever off my main computer. I also bought an ATI Radeon 9250 256mb ddr, so I could hook it up to my current monitor but ut I decided I'm gonna return the lcd I have now and pick up a Liliput 7" touchscreen instead.

I am going to upgrade the memory to 512, get a bigger hard drive and add a cd-rw or dvd-rw.

I'm going to be running XP Pro and shrink it down with XPLite. I'm going to be using Road Runner to control everything.

It's gonna go in as soon as I find my copy of XP (or buy a new one :x ) and I get my Liliput (as soon as I return my current lcd)

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/AltimateX/

Quote Originally Posted by Proud Galant Driver
    Mines nothing special. Just what I need to get the job done.

HP Pavilion 6683
    Intel Celeron 533MHz
    64mb ram
    Western Digital 20gb hard drive
    DVD

It's still in the stock case but I plan to move it into something different a little later.

I also have a Linksys Wireless G card to install so I will be able to surf if I find an unsecured WiFi connection. Plus I can pull in my garage and transfer any new songs or whatever off my main computer. I also bought an ATI Radeon 9250 256mb ddr, so I could hook it up to my current monitor but ut I decided I'm gonna return the lcd I have now and pick up a Liliput 7" touchscreen instead.

I am going to upgrade the memory to 512, get a bigger hard drive and add a cd-rw or dvd-rw.

I'm going to be running XP Pro and shrink it down with XPLite. I'm going to be using Road Runner to control everything.

It's gonna go in as soon as I find my copy of XP (or buy a new one :x ) and I get my Liliput (as soon as I return my current lcd)

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/AltimateX/
    where are you going to put it?
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

You using an inverter? I am getting rid of my HU and soley relying on an amp and a PC for my music/video/Sirius. I heard that when using an inverter it can cause a lot of interferance through the speakers. Plus it doesnt have a shutdown controller and what not :/
    7g for life!

I have an Opus 150 power supply
    a VIA EPIA M10000 Mini-ITX Mainboard
    a 200 gig segate hard drive
    Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Roady sound card
    a bu 353 usb gps antenna
    Netgear WG111T wireless adapter
    512mb ram
    Xenarc 700TSV 7" touchscreen monitor
    and a mini usb keyboard
    currently no cd rom drive
    currently waiting on reinstalling my xm once I get my interior amp back
    I have around 40gigs of music saved to the hard drive. So I have been listening to them
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by luke9511
    where are you going to put it?
    My current plan is to put it in the far back behind the seat. Kinda in plain site but I have tinted windows and an alarm so I think I'll be ok.

Once I put it in a more compact case, I will probably relocate it under the opposite seat of my XBOX.

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    You using an inverter? I am getting rid of my HU and soley relying on an amp and a PC for my music/video/Sirius. I heard that when using an inverter it can cause a lot of interferance through the speakers. Plus it doesnt have a shutdown controller and what not :/
    Yeah I have a 750 watt inverter. When I play XBOX, I don't have any interference in my speakers but if I plugged my laptop and ran it through my h/u I would get some interference. So I imagine when I plug my carputer into my h/u it will have some interference as well. The interference I did get was only really noticeable though if the volume was real low and between songs.

I eventually plan to eliminate my h/u as well. I still need to do some more research to determine my options as far as power goes. I haven't quite read enough on the whole dc-ac or dc-ac-dc converstion to shut down controller thing yet.

The key thing right now is to take it one step at a time so I can just get up and running. I will try to get a little more fancy as time goes on.

Opus 150w-Fanless Edition
    VIA EPIA-TC10000 Mini-ITX Mainboard
    160gig and 40gig Hitachi Hard drive
    512MB ram
    sony slim DVD-RW/CD
    8" VGA lilliput touchscreen with LCD camouflage anti-theft mod :D
    XP Professional Service Pack 2
    Iguidance and Microsoft Street and Trips 2007 with GPS locator
    Kingston USB Bluetooth
    Media Player Voice Control :twisted:
    still waiting for my ElmScan 5 USB ODB-II Scan Tool
    still waiting for my USB Wireless
    front and rear view IR camera coming soon

"CARPC"=https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=54708

"LCD camouflage anti-theft mod"=https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=53734

TURBO= in the making.......

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    They werent deleted, they were "pruned" :P

I think I will try my Sempron and see how much power it takes up, if it uses too much Ill just try to get ahold of the 754 AMD Mobile chips.
    pruned eh? The best cpu for a car pc is one that uses 35W there are 35 and 45 but 35 is better. Also see how much your MB is gonna use.

I was using an inverter like 3 years ago, it did the job but it aint no OPUS.

here i found some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr
    here i found some pics.

wow very nice bronxbombr, that looks about like the idea of how im gonna do mine :)
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

ya i put like 25 hours into the molding for the touchscreen. Make sure you take your time and do it right the first time. I used Fiber cuz when its cold Bondo tends to crack. You also have the option of keeping the ashtray or modding it for a usb hub, mini cdrom, etc...

I have a laptop that the screen just crapped out on me is this a viable option to do a Car PC setup?
    The Altima

Quote Originally Posted by GoldGalant [Reborn
    ]I have a laptop that the screen just crapped out on me is this a viable option to do a Car PC setup?
    sure is
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

I start my search for a touch screen
    The Altima

Experienced TGC Member
    So about how much do you have in your setup bronx?

I got well over 700 in it. But is worth it and i built mine for certain uses.

So how does shutting down and turning on the PC work? I'm starting to get a plan together for what I'd like.

I'm thinking full ATX in the spare tire area of the trunk with plexiglass or whatever over the top. Gunna use Linux for sure. What kind of programs are you running for audio?

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by mindwerkz
    So how does shutting down and turning on the PC work? I'm starting to get a plan together for what I'd like.

I'm thinking full ATX in the spare tire area of the trunk with plexiglass or whatever over the top. Gunna use Linux for sure. What kind of programs are you running for audio?
    You can either do it like I am doing it which would require you to manually turn the comp on and off or use a shutdown controller which will put it in sleep mode for you when you turn the car off. You can set them to leave the pc on for so long after you turn the car off too if you want. I'm not sure totally on how they work, but I believe it hooks right up to your motherboard. I'm not totally sure how you run the power to it though. I think you have to run like four wires into it.

I let Road Runner channel my audio through Winamp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast