The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: #1948 get some new wider shoes *Lots of pics*

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar

#1948 get some new wider shoes *Lots of pics*

After some debate on new wheels for the GVR4 and the particular look I wanted, I only had a few options of wheels that fit the size/width/offset and color I wanted. Unfortunately it was a bit too much $$$ that I was willing to spend on wheels so I thought of another alternative. I wanted a 17 inch wheel with a 8 inch width and either a +35 or +38 offset that was black with a red lip. Well I ran into a awsome deal on some EVO 8 wheels so :! popped into my head. The EVO wheels were MINT..and kinda debated on sanding down perfectly mint wheels, but I wanted a certain look to achieve. So here is a picturetrail of a 5 day progress:

Sanded down all the wheels and prepped and primered all 4 with self etching primer fro Krylon. (Thanks Seth 8) ) Its design to provide really good adhesion to metal surfaces and prevents rust and all that good stuff. I let the primer cure for a 24 hours.

I fabricated some masking template of some sort out of aluminum foil and painters masking tape to protect the tires. I painted the lip read with a PPG brand paint that I have used several times before and this stuff is great. I let the red paint cure for 24 hours

After buying 2 new tire that were bad and getting them mounted I proceeded to paint the rest of the wheels gloss black and the center caps too. I let the paint cure for another 24 hours and sprayed another coat the next day and let it cure for another 24 hours.

Finally got a weekend off so Saturday I spent most of the day finishing up. I applied several coats of clearcoat and let the wheels and center caps cure for several hours in the sun while I replaced 2 broken rear wheel lug studs :banghead: :banghead: and painted the calipers with caliper paint.

My old wheels went on my significant others 8G and the custom painted EVO wheels of course went on #1948. All the wheels are fitted with Dunlop 245/40/17's and I will have to make some adjustments on the height and camber too but this is the current results. I took the pics this morning after giving a good wash for my Girls' 8G.

Went from a 205/50/17 to a 245/40/17...I love it!! :twisted:

The painted front calipers look MUCH bigger painted than before when they were just black.

I always never liked how the rear wheels sat more inward than the front wheels and it was very noticable with a +38 offset wheel. I "evened" the offset look by installed 10mm spacers on both rears, so now the front and rear wheels look much more even.

Installed the front camber/pillowball TEIN mounts. (Thank you Alex from Dentsport :applause:)

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Both g's are looking good!

Experienced TGC Member
    Nice job painting the rims. It looks official
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Looks great kev!!

I likey.
    not sure about the red lip, but i'm sure it looks great in person, and even better when you're cruising.

hmmm.....
    g-rim is MIA.....
    (sinister chuckle)

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    nice
    i want that vr4...lets trade.

not sure about the red lip, but i'm sure it looks great in person, and even better when you're cruising.
    I fell in love with the black wheel w/ red lip ever since I saw it on a Black Evo and a picture of a black Skyline. I believe Volk racing makes that wheel but I wasn't willing to pay the Volk price. Some don't really care for it..but its all personal preference, I think the GVR4 looks alot more aggressive. :twisted:

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    Your cars keep getting better and better

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    I fell in love with the black wheel w/ red lip ever since I saw it on a Black Evo and a picture of a black Skyline. I believe Volk racing makes that wheel but I wasn't willing to pay the Volk price. Some don't really care for it..but its all personal preference, I think the GVR4 looks alot more aggressive. :twisted:
    x2

very nice galants, that white one has the perfect stance in the rear, the front could stand to be a little lower. but i dont even know if its lowered but it looks good. the VR4 is looking great, it really makes me want one
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Experienced TGC Member
    That looks really nice. What kind of PPG paint did you use?

I think I may want to do something similiar down the road.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Looks good to me

damn bro, that ish looks hot!!! the red lip really gives it a nice aggresive look!
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

That looks soo hot, almost want to make me keep my GVR4, but then my wallet would hate me, and Tow truck drivers keep getting creapier and creapier.
    Signature wanted call: 1800-Darkkend

<a>Take Better Photoshots Tips from the Pro's</a>

Thats looks amazing,good job 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    That looks really nice. What kind of PPG paint did you use?

I think I may want to do something similiar down the road.
    "Pit Bull" is the PPG paint I used for the Red lip. I used this paint on -G-rims calipers and they held up fine. The gloss black is a high temp engine paint and the clear coat is the Krylon wheel paint brand for painting wheels. These EVO wheels are the 5th set of wheel I painted and I have had great luck with the paint I used and of coure prep and priming is key too. 8)

I am pretty much done with the exterior of the GVR4...other than a new paint job, a custom front lip and trying to find a JDM GVR4 "RS" aluminum duel vented hood..I am done with the exterior. Now I am putting more emphasis on the motor and putting more time into working on -G-rim.

Those look great! You can definetly tell you took your time and did it right. I love wider tires also. :shock:

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

...wonder how'd that'd look on my Quest...

Oh, and you know Nitto has tires now that come w/ the red stripe on the side too?

First one: Red 88 - 245whp/312wtq - HIN: Nightshift - Chicago '07 WINNER
    Second one: Durban 88 - Buckskin - SHP - Auto - Sold to more capable hands
    Next one: White 84 flatty - t3/t4 - VELNAS - More to come

"...Remember: Don't crush 'em, restore 'em!"

i like the 3G eclipse rims on thw white G