The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Who has HID?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 48 of 48
    Quote Originally Posted by AVERAGE
    Because I've seen those kits in person, I personally wouldnt buy it them if you truly had to have high beams. Some states frown on stuff like this so I would definetly look into a bi-xenon kit which has hid lows and halogen highs. It is your car. All depends on what you want to do 8)
    that is a hi/low kit (HID low, halogen hi). a bixenon kit has either a shield that moves to create high beam or the capsule itself moves to change the effective focus / beam pattern of the housing for hi beam. the bi-xenon design is more desirable than hi/low w/ halogen.

Quote Originally Posted by mapid145
    hey jeffylou.. so ur lights go up when u hit the high beams.. it doesnt shine the light brighter now does it.. just angles themup more
    "brights" is kind of a misnomer. the bright beam is not really brighter, there is just little or no upper cutoff to the beam pattern, so any eyes higher than headlight level will perceive it as brighter since the low beam does not cast much light above the healdight level whereas the hi beam does. here's a test: get down on the ground about 10 feet in front of your car and have someone turn on the headlights w/ ur eyes about 12" from the ground, now have ur friend hit the hi beam and you will see it get brighter (if u have 1 bulb doing both hi and low beam functionality) but not by much. if u have dual beam (seperate lo and hi, you will see that the hi beam is about the same brightness as the low beam). now do the same test but now have your eyes around 4 feet from the ground... when the high beam comes on it will seem much brighter than the lo beams which should now seem much dimmer. both my low beam and hi beam are the exact same HID kits (color temp, ballast, igniters are identical) w/ different bulb sizes; the hi beam looks brighter as the bulb is both unshielded and the beam pattern has no upper cuttoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    Quote Originally Posted by AVERAGE
    Because I've seen those kits in person, I personally wouldnt buy it them if you truly had to have high beams. Some states frown on stuff like this so I would definetly look into a bi-xenon kit which has hid lows and halogen highs. It is your car. All depends on what you want to do 8)
    that is a hi/low kit (HID low, halogen hi). a bixenon kit has either a shield that moves to create high beam or the capsule itself moves to change the effective focus / beam pattern of the housing for hi beam. the bi-xenon design is more desirable than hi/low w/ halogen.
    I stand corrected. Thanks for clearing that up 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    Quote Originally Posted by mapid145
    hey jeffylou.. so ur lights go up when u hit the high beams.. it doesnt shine the light brighter now does it.. just angles themup more
    "brights" is kind of a misnomer. the bright beam is not really brighter, there is just little or no upper cutoff to the beam pattern, so any eyes higher than headlight level will perceive it as brighter since the low beam does not cast much light above the healdight level whereas the hi beam does. here's a test: get down on the ground about 10 feet in front of your car and have someone turn on the headlights w/ ur eyes about 12" from the ground, now have ur friend hit the hi beam and you will see it get brighter (if u have 1 bulb doing both hi and low beam functionality) but not by much. if u have dual beam (seperate lo and hi, you will see that the hi beam is about the same brightness as the low beam). now do the same test but now have your eyes around 4 feet from the ground... when the high beam comes on it will seem much brighter than the lo beams which should now seem much dimmer. both my low beam and hi beam are the exact same HID kits (color temp, ballast, igniters are identical) w/ different bulb sizes; the hi beam looks brighter as the bulb is both unshielded and the beam pattern has no upper cuttoff.
    thanks for that reelax.. i think ill buy one and see how it is.. and if i like it.. ill them the second one on my car.. average thank for ur 2 cents lol
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

Quote Originally Posted by anticon
    I've been to Racing Trenz and all the other shops on Evans, mindwerkz. What did it cost you at RT to get them installed? I could do it myself, but if i could just get it done for a reasonable price that would be cool. I want to continue to do all my motor work myself, but i could care less about this. What is the general concensus on the conversion? Is it comparable to stock bimmers/lexs/etc if you get the right specs? Also, i plan on getting the jdm headlights prior to the conversion, so what does this affect other than needing an extra two bulbs?
    Previous owner installed the kit. RT sold me new bulbs a few months ago. I totally don't remember how much, but I remember thinking it was about average. I'll try to find the receipt. You could always call them and ask. :P

Staten Island, New York. & Piscataway, NJ
    I <3 HIDs

I got 6K on my low beams in JDM heads and I got a failure to dim headlight ticket the first night driving with them, dumb ass cops

blue(on the)rims so the G crip walkin

Quote Originally Posted by chromeblueES
    I got 6K on my low beams in JDM heads and I got a failure to dim headlight ticket the first night driving with them, dumb ass cops
    u probably have to aim your low beams correctly so they are not blinding.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123