The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: After market radio overheats!!!!

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

After market radio overheats!!!!

Well i have the problem under control, but im just wondering if anyone else has had this problem also. I had the factory radio in my car, which would be hot to the touch and extremly heat up any cd's in it. But it always seemed to play fine with no problems. I upgraded to an aftermarket radio then started to have problems. After a half hour of driving with the heat cranked up the radio would become static some and play like shit, no matter if it was the radio or the cd. I took the face plat off stuck my hand behind the radio to feel how warm the back of the radio was and burnt my self. I took that radio back and got a nother one same thing was happening. So i ended up installing a cooling fan no more problems. But i would like to know if anyone else has had this problem with there G and if so how did you fix it.

Have seen that problem, when the speakers in the vehicle are going bad or aren't hooked up right. If you have a meter, test the speaker leads at the radio harness. They should read between 4 and 8 ohms. If any of them don't then you have just found your problem.

Another possibility is the ground wire for the aftermarket radio is loose.
    MECP First Class Certi-fried installer.

For the right price, nothing is impossible.

Experienced TGC Member
    Lemme guess, you have the Heat going through the cabin vents? I get the same problem too while driving for long periods of time with the heat going through the cabin vents. I never get that problem when the heat is going through the defroster vents, just the cabin ones.

Im assuming its because the heat traveling through the cabin vents, is too close to where the radio is mounted. And because the radio casing is usually metal, it absorbs and holds the heat much faster.

Solution..

Heat wrap the radio maybe? But seriously....is there a solution?

I for got to mention that the stock radio would heat the cd's up so hot that they would burn your hands almost. I think the heater vents have leaks behind the radio, and with very little to no circulation behind the radio the aftermarket radio cant handle the heat. Also the speakers are all hooked up right, im sure on that.

Experienced TGC Member
    Try to heat wrap the vents. Maybe that would cut back on the hot air leaking out. Matter of fact, ima look more into this problem on wednesday.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Yep that happened to me when I drive from Buffalo to NYC. When I had an aftermarket unit it would say HEAT and shut itself off. But I realized that that only happened when the vent were on the cabin as 6G72 said. The only thing that I can say is not to have the radio on with the cabin heat on too.

Yes i have a solution. And it works great for what ever setting the heat is on defrost, floor, or even the heater vents. I just wanted to know if anyone else also had the over heating problem. How i solved it? I just went up to best buy and bought a cooling fan for a computer. Wired it in to my car with a inline fuse. Then i made a make shift mount that would hold the fan and aim it towards the back side of the radio. I havent had the problem since. The radio does get warm but nothing near like it did without the fan.

TGC Regular
    Is this on the 7g or 8g? Kinda sounds like Mitsubishi overlooked this troublesome problem.

I would think it is on an 01blackG. Damnit PGD pay attention. :P

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Insane99
    I would think it is on an 01blackG. Damnit PGD pay attention. :P
    :oops:

Its a 2001 proud. And yes i think it was a little bit of an over look because when i was looking around in the dash i noticed that where the vent pipe connects the stuffed fome around the pipes where it connects to prevent leaking of the heat. So much that crap helps lol.