The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need my Trans. fluid changed

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    Experienced TGC Member

Need my Trans. fluid changed

Hey wausp guys? I need to have my transmission fluid changed. Im at 95K, and this is the first time ill be having it done. I just got off the phone with the Mitsu dealership and they want $229 to change the fluid. That seems damn expensive, but its more expensive to repair a broken transmission. Now is this price too high? Or average? I would try and do this myself, but im assuming the transmission needs to be flushed and not just drained.

the fluid itself is expensive. its $6 a quart. and you need 10-11 quarts.

why not just take it to a transmission place like Lee Miles? i believe they have a machine that will flush your transmission for that price. with mitsu service dept, i dont believe I know of any that have that machine.

i agree. u can get your fluid changed wherever you want, your tranny won't know. you can even do it yourself, its easier than an oil change IMO.

what your tranny will know is fluid so make sure you get fluid from the dealership.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Experienced TGC Member
    the fluid itself is expensive. its $6 a quart. and you need 10-11 quarts.
    Well thats not bad considering itd be about $60-$70. The dealer quoted me at $229 and i dont think they include a new oil filter.

why not just take it to a transmission place like Lee Miles? i believe they have a machine that will flush your transmission for that price. with mitsu service dept, i dont believe I know of any that have that machine.
    Im prolly oging to be going that route. Ill pick up the fluid today, and check around for local shops.

what your tranny will know is fluid so make sure you get fluid from the dealership.
    Yeh some Monro tech just told me that it doesnt matter what kinda transmission fluid i use in my car. He had the nerve to tell me that its all pretty generic.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Well thats not bad considering itd be about $60-$70. The dealer quoted me at $229 and i dont think they include a new oil filter.
    Oil Filter?????? For a tranny fluid change????

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    i think mine cost 150 to get flushed and refilled at Mitsu dealership

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87
    99's and some 00's have external tranny oil filters.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    do you know where it's located?

Experienced TGC Member
    mine ran around 150 also... but it runs great now

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    top of tranny. mine ran $50(12qts)+$20(filter)+$0(pinoyesv6).

~$70.

Done.

Experienced TGC Member
    My bad, i meant the transmission fluid filter.

Serstylz2 Posted: 21 Mar 2007 04:59 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i think mine cost 150 to get flushed and refilled at Mitsu dealership
    Lucky bastard. I almot fell out of my chair when the lady told me that. Not to mention they want $299 to change my plugs.

i paid 140 for my tranny flush last month. - picked up 8 quarts of tranny fluid of mitsubishi atf III sp fluid to take it to a regular svc. shop to flush my tranny for cheaper price, but the shop i went to wouldn't use customers parts. they too stated that as long as the fluid is atf III sp, it should be the same and they guaranteed the job as well. - no problems here so far with the tranny knock on wood. but i still got mitsu's atf III quarts in my garage just in case! i'm not saying its all the same, but the mitsu tech. i spoke with in greenville, NC said it should be ok, as long as the fluids atf III. since the flush, trannys shifting a lot smoother as it should be. - just fyi, bro.
    Semper Fi'

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier22
    i paid 140 for my tranny flush last month. - picked up 8 quarts of tranny fluid of mitsubishi atf III sp fluid to take it to a regular svc. shop to flush my tranny for cheaper price, but the shop i went to wouldn't use customers parts. they too stated that as long as the fluid is atf III sp, it should be the same and they guaranteed the job as well. - no problems here so far with the tranny knock on wood. but i still got mitsu's atf III quarts in my garage just in case! i'm not saying its all the same, but the mitsu tech. i spoke with in greenville, NC said it should be ok, as long as the fluids atf III. since the flush, trannys shifting a lot smoother as it should be. - just fyi, bro.
    How many miles did you have on the G when u changed it? Was it the first time changing the fluid?

Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    ill tell you why not..
    because they're all idiots.

And of course a mitsu dealership will have a flushing machine.

TGC Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    ill tell you why not..

how do you feel about changing the tranny fluid at 78k miles if it has never been done?

Quote Originally Posted by 9G
    top of tranny. mine ran $50(12qts)+$20(filter)+$0(pinoyesv6).

~$70.

Done.
    you forgot I took the hood off your car along with me lol.

there's a tutorial on how to flush on the site and in the service manual if you want to think about attempting it yourself. its not that hard to do. the dealership and other shops might have a fancy machine which are nice since you don't get your hands dirty. one of the luxuries of having work done by someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by manybrews
    ill tell you why not..

maybe yours does manybrews, but the 2 mitsu dealerships in my area do not have a tranny flushing machine.

despite the people in the service dept saying they do a full flush, the service mechanic told me they only drop the pan and change the oil. they dont have a machine. come to think of it, it was $150 also. no offense to you manybrews (im sure you are an honest guy), but i dont trust other people to work on my car unless i have to.

I did mine myself, its i took liek an hour and a half but i didnt have the machine so i had to drop the pan and replace the gasket but it eneded up causting me like 20-30 bucks.