The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My Complete $100 Fuel System for the 4g64

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

My Complete $100 Fuel System for the 4g64

A coulple of months ago I began researching alternative possibilites for beefing up the 4g64's's fuel system. We all know that the 4g64's stock fuel syestm is anemic at best in terms of performance. Well, what if we replaced our weak OEM components with OEM components from cars that already have the performance we're trying to achieve, as a low cost solution...in particular the WRX and Evo.

Injectors

I was told by a friend of mine who owned a Turbo 3g that he had tried the stock WRX injectors and they worked. He didnt elaborate much, so I bought my own to see how much modification they need to work.

These injectors come stock from a 2002 Subaru WRX. They flow 440cc as they are. The real advantages of these injectors are that they are high impednace, and as such do not require external resistor packs like DSM injectors do; and they are a DIRECT plug in to our stock injector clips.

It should be noted that 440cc injectors should be only good to about 275 crank horse power; however, kng_nthing used them to achieve right at 299 WHP...so who knows. :dunno:

I paid $55 shipped for all four from Ebay.

Fuel Pressure Regulator and Fuel Rail

After studying pictures of the stock fuel system on the Evo VIII I began to notice several simularities to our own stock system.

EDIT: The Evo Stock FPR wont bolt directly to our stock fuel rail because of the fact that the Evo FPR's o-ring port is larger than the 3g's. However the Evo's fuel rail with the Evo FPR. According to NAPALM and DNS-EN, cars with cruise control will run into clearace issues.

What's the advantage? Buschur Racing hooked up TWO Walbro 255 HO's to one of their Evo's that was suffering from fuel starvation - without changing the stock FPR. (link -->http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...win+fuel+pumps)

This Evo with the Stock FPR was running 10's in the quarter at over 30psi of boost. If it can do that, its good enough for just about any 3g.

In addition, the stock Evo FPR is rising rate (for every PSI of boost, it will increase fuel pressure 1 PSI to match it). People have been speculating for some time now that the 3g's stock FPR could possibly be rising rate; well with the Evo FPR, we can be certain of it.

NAPALM found that the aftermarket Evo Fuel rails worked with the 4g64 in the midst of his "Fall Project." Taking that into mind, it can be deduced that the stock Evo Fuel Rail will work also. However, Its doubtful that there could be any real advantage to using the stock Evo Fuel Rail over the stock 3g rail because the the 3g rail is actually quite big and capable of flowing some serious fuel; however, you have to use the evo rail to use the evo FPR.

A direct quote from David Buschur (see above link) on the Stock Evo FPR and Fuel Rail "...This will mean the stock lines, feed and return, fuel rail and fuel regulator will work and supply all the fuel any street car is going to need."

The stock Evo FPR and Fuel rail wont Be a direct bolt on, as the will require some *slight* re-routing of the high pressure fuel hose (it just needs turned 45 degrees) and the fuel return hose (goes across the top of the intake manifold instead of under like the 3g). Also, as stated above, there are clearance issues with cars equiped with cruise control.

I paid $20 shipped for the fuel rail and FPR from www.evolutionm.net

Fuel Pump

Several members have been using the Walbro Pumps from the Evo. As with the fuel rail, we can deduce that the Stock Evo Pump will also work. After comparing pictures of the Stock Evo pump to the stock 3g pump, they are almost identical in their physical dimensions.

The Evo fuel pump is interesting in that it has a very low flow rate at idle and "low load" situations: however under high load situations it can flow up to 201 lph. (see link to testing done by RRE --> http://www.roadraceengineering.com/f...pflowrates.htm) As with all fuel pumps, the more amperage that is run through them, the more they will flow. Evo's have a "dual cuircut" wiring system to their fuel pumps that alows for low aperage at idle and low load, and high amperage during high load. (see specific info on Evo Pump from RRE --> http://www.roadraceengineering.com/e...elpumpinfo.htm)

I plan on wiring this pump directly to a relay off of the battery so that it should see around 13.5 volts anytime its running, so that it will operate as it does when the Evo sees high load. (...a google search can get you plenty of info on how to do this.) As noted by DNS-EN, the dual circut the Evo has will not work with the stock 3g unless the Evo ECU is installed.

Stock Evos usually do not need to upgrade their fuel pumps until they are hitting levels close to 300whp and close to 25psi (depending on other mods).

If this pump can handle the WHP levels even stock Evos produce, then it is good enough for a 4g64 running moderate boost levels.

I paid $15 shipped for the stock Evo Fuel pump from www.evolultionm.net

All of these parts work wonderfully with the 4g64. Everything is installed and running like a champ. Check out my thread on Club 3g for further discussion. --> http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78046

I paid a total of $95 for all of these components; about the price of what a Walbro fuel pump alone would cost.

Hopefully this info can help some of you guys out.

There is a bracket that needs modified to use this exact set-up, but I'll post pics of it and how to fix it later.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    you do know that you double posted right?

Here are some pics of everything installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffylou87
    you do know that you double posted right?

LoL - yeah sorry about that. :oops:

Nice, If anyone is intrested I have an evo stock fpr for sale
    2.4L - AWD - 5SPEED - PTE 6057 at __PSI w/Wavetrac LSD

are you the same person, who posted thi son club3g 1-2 months ago?
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

Yes sir. That would be me. I just wanted to spread the knowledge so everyone knows that they dont have to spend a ton of money to have a great fuel system. :D

sup

What was done exactly to fit the evo rail and fpr as thats my next step.. I dont want to install an aeromotive i would rather do the evo rail and make it clean... nice info i saw it after i bought the walbro and dsm injectors but its ok..
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

If anyone is planning on using the Evo Fuel Rail/FPR with the WRX injectors, here are some pics that should be helpful. As I mentioned before, there is a bracket that has to be removed/altered for the fuel rail to fit. This bracket is very important because it supports the throttle body, which has a very bad tendency to crack; as in breaky completely off in some cases. Well this bracket is the MAIN support to keep this from happening.

...So we need the support of this bracket, but can't use the Evo fuel rail with it. :scratch: What do we do? Modify it. :idea:

This is what the bracket will look like when you remove it. The two bolt holes on the bottom bolt to the block, and the single hole on the top bolts directly to the throttle body. It's a pretty heavy-duty piece.

The area where the paint has been ground off is where we need to "delete" some metal to give clearance for the high-pressure fuel hose flange.

I said earlier that you could do this with a file...well, you could, but it would take waaaaay longer. So, bust out the hacksaw, and make sure you have some extra blades. Also, having a vice will make this 100x easier. This is what it will look like after about 30 minutes of sawing.

This is what it should look like when you are done. Just hose it down with a little with the good ole' black rattle can, and you're ready to bolt it back in with no clearance issues.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Why use a EVO VIII fuel rail? Stock 1g and 2g fuel rails have been used in cars making around the 600hp range. My friend with a GVR4 just recently made 600awhp on 28psi w/ meth injection on a stock 1g fuel rail.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Re: sup

Quote Originally Posted by Johnathansgalant
    What was done exactly to fit the evo rail and fpr as thats my next step.. I dont want to install an aeromotive i would rather do the evo rail and make it clean... nice info i saw it after i bought the walbro and dsm injectors but its ok..
    I can't say for certain what all you will need to to to use the Evo Fuel Rail with the DSM injector since they seem to be quite a bit taller than the WRX injectors.

My guess is that you wouldnt need to modify the bracket, but if you have cruise control, the high pressure flange on the Evo Rail might hit the mechanisms on the throttle body.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    Why use a EVO VIII fuel rail? Stock 1g and 2g fuel rails have been used in cars making around the 600hp range. My friend with a GVR4 just recently made 600awhp on 28psi w/ meth injection on a stock 1g fuel rail.
    For the 4g64 - There is no magic to the rail itself, the important part is that it has the 1:1 FPR. Plus it's cheap, almost a direct bolt on, and gives you all the 1:1 fuel pressure you can handle.

I really dont know if the 1g or 2g rails will work with the 4g64... (?)

Click on the links to the comments about the Evo FPR and Rail by David Buschur in my first post. ;)