The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Another victim of the cracked intake manifold!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 24

Another victim of the cracked intake manifold!!!

Yes, my intake manifold cracked right behind the throttle body. :( The mitsu dealer here said they want $326 for the manifold and $30 for the gaskets (throttle body and intake gaskets). Now is that a good price or should I shop around more?

go for the outlander manifold!
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    I don't think they would install it... They would sell it to you though

Is it as simple as a new gasket and you are done? Ive got a I4 now and I dred the day this happens.
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )

You are here entirely tooo much!! 9G's Avatar
    that sucks.

Is this a common problem with the I4's?

Quote Originally Posted by 00GalantMan
    Is this a common problem with the I4's?
    So far, we don't sufficient proof of what's really causing this but from testimonies, 1st hand experiences, and number of recent posts it's made clear who's the real culprit is (are)....

It's not whether it's a problem as an I4 thingie, rather it's the habit of the driver. As stated before, this even happens for those with Outlander manifolds, behind the throttle body. Don't forget to check the engine mount for wear and tear. Yeah it's flimsy but for those with stock air intake don't have that problem (or do they?) Let's say while your driving (hard) around 4000-5750 rpm you're putting a lot of strain on the metal between the intake and throttle body. The V6 folks are made out of ceramic so it's not as delicate like 4 cylinders version (that doesn't mean you can strain the hell out of them). So far, the ones having this problem (repeatedly) are the ones gunning at the stop light like a race car (no offense). If there's are any other hardcore proof behind this phenomenon let us know.

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    Mine broke all the way through, and I didn't launch my car from red lights like a ricer But it is a stress break. I have heard of them breaking with the stock air box, but it is a lot more common if you have an aftermarket intake. As fare as $326 being a good price, the dealer near me told me $565 + tax. I ended up finding one for $100. Also installing it is not easy, if you are doing it with the motor in the car. I changed mine in a few hours; the hardest part was getting to the bottom bolts and the fact that this was my first time doing anything this big on my car.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

TGC Regular
    Is their a tutorial on how to change the intake manifold?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Has anyone considered of rewelded the areas of the crack?

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member njjfudge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    Has anyone considered of rewelded the areas of the crack?
    I have, but it is not really any place to get a good weld. I still have my broken one and was thing about getting a 1" section of mild steel so I could have something better to weld to. This would also move the TB out some. If I do it i'll let you guys know how it turns out.

2001 w/Old Style VR-4 front conversion

Thanks for the reply fellas. I think I'm going to go with a new intake manifold for $326. If I get a used one, who knows how long that would last. At least with the new one it would have a warranty.

personally, I believe that it doesn't matter how you drive it. whether you drive it rough or not , the car (stock) should hold up mechanically to the stresses that are imposed upon it. The pre-engineering should have taken that into account. If it is common that they are breaking, then it is a mistake that mitsubishi has made. Let me know if this really is a common mistake. I have a close friend who makes custom engine parts. If it is worthwhile, then I can talk to him and he can make some sweet parts out of aircraft aluminum or 316 stainless. I don't think he will take the time to fab up one or two unless the money is right. if there is more than he will take the time to do the templates to do it. I am not selling them,but if I can help out --i will. my email is : [email protected]

Experienced TGC Member krispy03's Avatar
    it happens to the best of us, some more than others :?

there is a main topic for this with A LOT OF INFO

It's not whether it's a problem as an I4 thingie, rather it's the habit of the driver. As stated before, this even happens for those with Outlander manifolds, behind the throttle body. Don't forget to check the engine mount for wear and tear. Yeah it's flimsy but for those with stock air intake don't have that problem (or do they?) Let's say while your driving (hard) around 4000-5750 rpm you're putting a lot of strain on the metal between the intake and throttle body. The V6 folks are made out of ceramic so it's not as delicate like 4 cylinders version (that doesn't mean you can strain the hell out of them). So far, the ones having this problem (repeatedly) are the ones gunning at the stop light like a race car (no offense). If there's are any other hardcore proof behind this phenomenon let us know
    not true

mine cracked when i was on freeway at about 140 kmh maybe 160
    stalled, tried to start, car crancked started , coughed and would of died unless i didnt give any gas. it sounded like a broken out of shaped old eigthies scooter with a BIG exhasut pipe lol

I have, but it is not really any place to get a good weld. I still have my broken one and was thing about getting a 1" section of mild steel so I could have something better to weld to. This would also move the TB out some. If I do it i'll let you guys know how it turns out.

again not true ....for my part. Mine cracked inside the large groove justbeside where u screw it to the throttle body, took the intake off, to a welder, he welded and filled the entire groove been almost a year now

now problems whatsover

2002 blue G RIP07
    2003 grey G with the heart of an Evo 8
    1999 beige G . winter beater and well its beige

When my manifold cracked i took it to a machine shop and told them to put as small as a spacer as possible to get the weld in there, IT'S FUCKING GORGEOUS, but low and behold 2 weeks later the top of my radiator cracked and now i find that one of the brackets on my muffler broke off....for all of us that see this and know of this problem, GET THE MOTOR MOUNT INSERTS, they are the main problem, there is just way to much play in the stock mounts for us not to see problems with the other components that are stationary...in the end i spent 80 bucks for a welded manifold (because there is nothing wrong with the stock if your running N/A), new radiator, and now a new exhaust when i get back from alaska!!!
    You drive like me and you won't see, well anything, because i live with blinders, all i want is passing lights and speeding cars....it's never fast enough!!!!!!

Bumpidy bump bump I have the same exact problem. I have a crack in the manifold right behind the tb and I need it fixed asap! I gotta work in the morning, is there a tutorial on removing the intake manifold? Any one got pics or could help me?

hey, i am wondering what the symptoms of the cracked manifold would be???
    days like today remind me why i love my galant!!!

high idle, reduction in fuel economy, weird noise from the engine and loss of power if I recall correctly

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast