The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to lower the front of your car for free.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Showing results 41 to 58 of 58
    Thanks Proto, I'll break out my other socket set and see what I can do later, but for now, I'll just stick everything back the way it was, it won't stop raining here in Iowa, and I am moving soon.

I finally figured out why the wheels kept loosening up, the generic junk open ended lugnuts they sent with the wheels are not worth even being free. I slapped on my Borbet wheels on the fronts, and the lugnuts still come loose, so I threw on my Acorn style lugnuts and they stay tight and true as ever. Funny thing is how my rear wheels, even with the open ended lugnuts, haven't had this problem, but the fronts have been nothing but trouble.

I'm still selling my MSR's though, I found another set of Borbets that I have my eye on, a little more euro style than the MSR's plus they are of higher quality.

Anyone in the Central Iowa area want a set of almost new MSR wheels with almost new tires? 400 bucks even. I highly suggest you get some Gorilla lugnuts though.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You can drop them by my house.
    7g for life!

i know this is an old thread but the 95-99 dodge stratus is the same way i never thought about that when i had it but it did happen where the piece broke and my struts sat on my axles

click here and check page one for pics of before and after that piece broke

and on page 2 u will see the suspension taken apart and showing the details

stratus/avenger/eclipse/galant, lol, talk about trying to save a dime or two. I guess there are more cars out there that have more sharing with them than the Galants so I shouldn't make too much fun, but it does seem funny, when you think of Diamond Star Motors (DSM) you mainly think of Eclipse/Talon/Laser, but it goes beyond that.

Sorry, I strayed away from the topic, but I couldn't resist.

Hmm, gets me thinkin, I've always wanted a Starion, I could just grab a Conquest and switch out the badges, those things even look the same let alone share components.

TGC Regular
    Wow that sounds like a huge headache :P I guess im just about doing everything right one time, and getting it right ;) ill spend the extra money just to say i have the name brand stuff, i guess it all happens for a reason, except i admit, i am jelious ;) I wish i could drop my ride and not loose ride quality. But its not bumpy or a bad quality at all over 60 MPH :) i can go 90 around a 35 and not even cherp the tires, seems the more people i have, the more traction, and less roll. I would definatly look back on thoes posts, there is a site.. If doing this, i would reccomend replacing all the lugs with new ones. and check your tourqe spec's !

Id reccomend not looseting it and drving around. This is not really particuallry safe for other drivers on the road, what if u had to stop real fast, then all of a sudden, it decided to give way, and ya. I dont know, Just think of the saftey of other people when you are moddin up your cars..

keep that in mind when smoking your rails too ! i saw a 7g couple of months ago, and it was a nice ride, but i nearly rear ended him cause he prolly had 10 more coats of nightshade than i did lol. I couldnt see his breaks, i guess serves me right for trying to show off. lol.

Will this work on the G8 aswell??

Proto
    No just 7th gens

Its the same struts it seems like :?

Quote Originally Posted by ThaShiZnitH
    Will this work on the G8 aswell??
    From what I hear, the world spec 8th gen has the same front suspension setup as the 7th gen. Although I can't verify this for you.

222whp/250wtq

Ive just asked around in Mitsu Club Norway. Looks like i can do this until im getting my coilovers

Quote Originally Posted by ThaShiZnitH
    Ive just asked around in Mitsu Club Norway. Looks like i can do this until im getting my coilovers

here is some pic of my my last car and the setup should be very similar and the same idea so if the 8G world spec is the same then the answer is yes u can do it to ur car but i wouldnt suggest it

good luck

'00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Re: How to lower the front of your car for free.

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    Cheap trick, doesnt cost anything, dont need any parts, you can do this with stock or aftermarket struts/springs without sacrificing ride quality. Id say you can lower it a good inch or so, maybe more. Heres what you do:

The strut is basically just bolted to the strut fork. So if you loosen the bolt on the top of the strut fork, move the strut fork up a bit higher onto the strut, then tighten the bolt back down very well. Service manual says it should be torqued to 75ftlbs. You basically just lowered your car. You can only lower it so much as the strut starts to get thicker at a certain point, but if you can jack up your car and take your wheel of, you can do this.

If you do have stock struts, they may have to chisel off the little block on the back of the strut that marks where the stock height is. Just takes a hammer, chisel or screw driver, and a few taps.

I noticed my passener front was tucking my front wheel while my driver had a two finger gap between the tire. Turned out that my strut fork had moved up on my strut and caused it to be lower. Just moved the fork back down to the bottum of the strut, tightened the strut fork bolt and now have the same two finger gap on both sides.

Thanks to John for giving me the idea as I was rubbing my front tires and needed to fix it haha!
    What Tools did you use I'm probably gonna do it tomorrow or try to. Also would it work for the rear too or no?

Quote Originally Posted by 7GProject_4G64
    Cheap trick, doesnt cost anything, dont need any parts, you can do this with stock or aftermarket struts/springs without sacrificing ride quality. Id say you can lower it a good inch or so, maybe more. Heres what you do:

The strut is basically just bolted to the strut fork. So if you loosen the bolt on the top of the strut fork, move the strut fork up a bit higher onto the strut, then tighten the bolt back down very well. Service manual says it should be torqued to 75ftlbs. You basically just lowered your car. You can only lower it so much as the strut starts to get thicker at a certain point, but if you can jack up your car and take your wheel of, you can do this.

If you do have stock struts, they may have to chisel off the little block on the back of the strut that marks where the stock height is. Just takes a hammer, chisel or screw driver, and a few taps.

I noticed my passener front was tucking my front wheel while my driver had a two finger gap between the tire. Turned out that my strut fork had moved up on my strut and caused it to be lower. Just moved the fork back down to the bottum of the strut, tightened the strut fork bolt and now have the same two finger gap on both sides.

Thanks to John for giving me the idea as I was rubbing my front tires and needed to fix it haha!
    What Tools did you use I'm probably gonna do it tomorrow or try to. Also would it work for the rear too or no?
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is pretty much over your head since you can't even read the post you just quoted.

222whp/250wtq

Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior
    Quote Originally Posted by 7GProject_4G64

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say this is pretty much over your head since you can't even read the post you just quoted.
    Well I guess I got PWNED by reading. I did see that but I just wanted to check to make sure.

now that you removed the stop. how do you push the strut in anymore, there is a little indent on the strut for the bolt to line up with. just bash the bolt thru??
    1994 gs dohc turbo

Quote Originally Posted by jimskin4
    now that you removed the stop. how do you push the strut in anymore, there is a little indent on the strut for the bolt to line up with. just bash the bolt thru??
    lets see some pics of your car!!!!

and as for the strut fork, just loosen up the clamp, then it shoudl slide right up, you can use some wd40 if you need to.

just make sure its clamped down hard wen its in place.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

got a question guys...

the tiny block thing serves as the stopper right? 'coz if it is, wouldn't it be risky removing it?
    Last edited by sleeper7; 02-11-2008 at 05:03 AM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123