The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to lower the front of your car for free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 58
    You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

How to lower the front of your car for free.

Cheap trick, doesnt cost anything, dont need any parts, you can do this with stock or aftermarket struts/springs without sacrificing ride quality. Id say you can lower it a good inch or so, maybe more. Heres what you do:

The strut is basically just bolted to the strut fork. So if you loosen the bolt on the top of the strut fork, move the strut fork up a bit higher onto the strut, then tighten the bolt back down very well. Service manual says it should be torqued to 75ftlbs. You basically just lowered your car. You can only lower it so much as the strut starts to get thicker at a certain point, but if you can jack up your car and take your wheel of, you can do this.

If you do have stock struts, they may have to chisel off the little block on the back of the strut that marks where the stock height is. Just takes a hammer, chisel or screw driver, and a few taps.

I noticed my passener front was tucking my front wheel while my driver had a two finger gap between the tire. Turned out that my strut fork had moved up on my strut and caused it to be lower. Just moved the fork back down to the bottum of the strut, tightened the strut fork bolt and now have the same two finger gap on both sides.

Thanks to John for giving me the idea as I was rubbing my front tires and needed to fix it haha!
    7g for life!

Seth for president!!! Thats such a good idea im squirming b/c i cant wait to do that tommorow. It is such a super awesome idea... I love you bro. Will post pics as soon as i do it. :smt054 :smt023
    7G SOHC 5SPD

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yes, post before and after pics!
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    good one dirk!!! will look at my G if it's doable.. lower the better.. do you have like more pics of it???

Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    good one dirk!!! will look at my G if it's doable.. lower the better.. do you have like more pics of it???
    this is only for multi link front suspensions.
    your machphearson strut 8g setup will not allow you to adjust the ride height.

i did this a while back when i was riding on stock gs wheels tires. and my eibach setup.
    it left the front with a perfect 3/4" fender gap.
    but the good part is that it does not effect suspension travel.
    so ride quality remains the same.

although since you are lowering yoru car still you will want to get an alignment just as you would w/ springs.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

forget it then.....

Haha sh*t why did I not think of that earlier?

I'm so doing that when I have some time spare - the front of my '93 has always been higher than the rear - yet my '94 sits just level.

lucky damn 7th gens :smt099

Quote Originally Posted by boostzealot

hehehehehhehe, hahahhahhaha, heheheheheheh, hahahhahah yeah boy!! dont you wish you had a 7th gen hehehehehhe, hahahhaha...

also can this be done in the rear also, or just the front??? you know i was looking at that bolt few weeks back and i was gonna ask you or john about it, i am glad this post surfaced.....
    2009 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart
    JDM 5 SPEED 4G64
    TO GET TO A MAN'S HEART....IS THROUGH 4G64 egh and may be through 4B11T

I did that to my car a long time ago, a friend of mine pointed it out to me that its possible to do, so I did it and this was back in '05. Didn't even consider putting it on TGC now I know I should have, but thanks for the reminder Seth, I need to see how my Sebring is set up so I can see if I can do the same thing to it.

Quote Originally Posted by jake26

hehehehehhehe, hahahhahhaha, heheheheheheh, hahahhahah yeah boy!! dont you wish you had a 7th gen hehehehehhe, hahahhaha...

also can this be done in the rear also, or just the front??? you know i was looking at that bolt few weeks back and i was gonna ask you or john about it, i am glad this post surfaced.....
    see.. this is one of the raretimes where having a 7G is better then having an 8G.. seriously though.. 8Gs RULE.. so u 7gs can lower ur car.. big whoop wanna fight about it
    04 Maxima SL in Bronze with Black leather

Quote Originally Posted by mapid145
    Quote Originally Posted by jake26

see.. this is one of the raretimes where having a 7G is better then having an 8G.. seriously though.. 8Gs RULE.. so u 7gs can lower ur car.. big whoop wanna fight about it

actually, ya but we will win! :D

7g's faster, lighter, aerodynamic, and come in 5spd!

good find, i would do it but im about to drop the car anyway.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

All other 8G Galants have multi link suspension just like the 7G and the 2G Diamante, not sure why the US 8G went backwards with mcpherson struts.

Quote Originally Posted by fuel
    All other 8G Galants have multi link suspension just like the 7G and the 2G Diamante, not sure why the US 8G went backwards with mcpherson struts.
    blame it on WWII

Either my hands are way to big to get back there properly, or I'm just not tapping the hammer/chisel at the correct angle, but this thing will not budge at all.

Proto
    I found this out when my friend didnt tighten my fork all the way down.

holy shit! that is literally my twin! ohgrfreak you have the closest look to me!!!! :shock:

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

I've noticed that, I've always wanted dark rims with a fat chome lip, your gunmetal matches your car better though. Now all you need is some tint!

EDIT: after closer look, you don't need tint, I need wind deflectors...

Quote Originally Posted by kolio
    holy shit! that is literally my twin! ohgrfreak you have the closest look to me!!!! :shock:
    lol daammnn exact match...well sorta.but damn. guess someone needs to change it up for originality lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast