The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 94 Galant turbo// ecu swap Q's

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

94 Galant turbo// ecu swap Q's

Intro- I turboed a galant without doing any research. It was incredibly easy. After it was done, I couldnt even drive it. lol The computer system hates me I swear.

My galant is a 94, SOHC 4g64. I used 1g dsm turbo stuff. 14b, SMIC, etc. I figured an FMUwould work for fuel enrichment. It runs but like crap! After finding this site I installed an SAFC-II and the injectors/resistor. (these were recommended) Its more driveable but its terrible. I came across a thread on here for wiring a 2nd gen talon/eclipse turbo ecu into it. Now I cant find it for some reason. a link would be appreciated.

I am keeping it SOHC, and I would like to keep the distributor if possible.
    I read somewhere on being able to keep it, but of course cant remember where.

My 94 is wierd. It has 3 ecu connectors > outer ones large, middle one is small. It also has an OBD II connector.

This is the worst driving turbo car I have ever built!!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

-JW

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Get rid of that FMU for starters. What fuel pump are you using? Post your setup so we can help you better.

And you cant swap to 1g/2g ECU unless you swap to a DOHC head and CAS/Coilpack setup.

And you 94 has 3 ECU connectors as its OBDI, its similar to a 1g ECU. If you want an easy way to tun, try to find a 95 EPROM ECU and contact Jeff at www.dsmchips.com and see if he can make an EPROM chip for you that will have better fuel trims, timing maps, fuelcut delete, stutterbox, just about anything you can think of.
    7g for life!

fmu's are not for our cars.
    our fuel pressure regulators are 1:1 rising rate.
    meaning 1 psi fuel for every psi of pressure.
    your stock ecu can handle the changes since its mas unlike honda's where you have to lie to the computer with mising links and fmu's

put the stock fmu on. if you used 450cc dsm injectors make sure you wired them in properly, and that you wired in a resistor pack as well.

you need to get a wideband to use with your safc2
    (you woudl have been much muhc better off with a MAFT gen 2

also if you are venting your bov to the atmosphere you are going to have the shittiest running car you coudl ever immagine cause you will be so rich all thhe time it bogs the motor.

what spark gap are you running.
    what spark plugs are you running?
    have you done a boost leak test yet?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Okay, Firstoff, I am not an Amateur. I do this stuff for a living. This is the only car that just hates me. You guys are much more educated on these cars than I on what works for them; thats why I am here.

>I have a wideband on it.
    >When I went to the Bigger injectors and resistor pack, I got rid of the FMU of course.
    >They are wired correctly.
    >Stock Fuel Pump
    >Runs Best when BOV is vented to atmosphere (it bypasses more air from the MAF) Only downside is it has a choppy idle when decelerating. I have tried it both ways many times... Vented works for some reason better. The car is possesed I am tellin ya!

>NGK plugs gapped at .030
    >zero boost leaks
    >I know its an OBD1 car, just saying it was wierd to have an OBD II connector in 94.

>anything I do with the SAFC II it just detonates like mad over 4 pounds of boost. It wont even make power over 4000 rpm. I have tried the settings on the SAFC II about everywhere, and its driveable for a grandma now.

> Doesnt the 95 ECU require the 2nd gen wiring? 4 plugs on the ecu correct?
    >I would rather just do the 1g ecu if its easier. But there are many problems there. The MAF's are much different. I just want the car to drive like a factory car, hence my reasoning for putting a turbo ecu in it.

When you swap the DOHC on, you guys just replace the entire harness?
    How about putting coil pack set up on the SOHC engine? shouldnt be any problems there!?

If it requires a different harness, I would do it. I am not swapping heads. No point for me IMO.

Did I mention that mine is an Automatic?
    Any offers on the whole setup? lol

Experienced TGC Member
    Dude just use the stock ecu if you have no plans to get a bigger turbo than that 14b. I run the stock ecu with no problems. What heat range plugs are you using? I would recomend getting range 6. Sounds like you are running the stock plugs and just regaping them. I was breaking up like that with regaped stock heat range plugs. Try getting some ngk bkr6eix
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

zero boost leaks huh.
    i have a hard time believing it.

vented bov is the absolute worst thing you can do on that car.
    i don't care what you think. it throws off yoru a/f mix completely.

stock fuel pump isn't going to cut it.

at least rewire the stocker. or drop a whopping 70 bucks on a 190lph walbro.

how much boost are you running?

try retarding the base timing a few degrees.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I am using new stock plugs regapped, because I had to order some colder NGk's.

Hard to tell the amount of boost because i cant even get on it. It just breaks up. The gauge has shown me a solid 9-10 when it cuts out.

I know its retarded that I have to vent the BOV to make it run decent with some boost; it makes no sense to me either.

No boost leaks either. I have checked it a couple times.
    When I set the baseline back a few degrees it wont hold an idle hardly at all. I am guessing I am not doing the proper procedure on setting it. I just unplugged the batt quick, pulled some timing out and then restarted it.

If i pull my charge pipe off and hook up the MAF to the throttle body like stock, it runs PERFECT. Its all in the MAF.

If the MAFT is the way to go on this POS then thats what I should do. Any recomendations on brands would be appreciated. Budget minded of course lol.

I dont worry about the fuel pump when I turbo stuff unless fuel pressure is falling, and its not. I have to worry about it running decent before I tune it for some big power.

If anyone has a similar setup, what are some of your settings on your SAFC II?

Experienced TGC Member
    I have the maft gen 2 and low setting is near -40 high is -2 but every car runs different so if you want to use my settings you do at your own risk.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Experienced TGC Member
    How much do u want to let the turbo setup minus all electronics go for? I may be interested.

If it doesnt perform the way I like with a MAFT then I will sell it all.

Thanks for the input guys.

Did you rewire the fuel pump? If not then you need to, or just install a Walbro 190. You need fuel to feed those injectors! And by "those injectors" what size did you go with?

When the BOV is recirced, how does it run? If you have a choppy misfiring idle then you more then likely have a big boost/vac leak. Whats the AFR at idle?
    7g for life!

how did u wire the injectors exactly?? Also the car should accelerate the same no matter if u have the bov off or on but ull get the problem under vacuum when ur stopping or at idle or switching gears.. With the bov recirculated it runs perfect as everyone suggests if ur recirculating back between the turbo and ur mas as usual. what is the af when ur bogging by the way??
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Ok, so here is the deal. Injectors are wired perfect. Car runs sweet under 4000 rpm and under 5 pounds of boost.

I recirced the BOV because its just retarded to not have it like that... I know.

NO matter where the SAFC junk is set at, at less than 40 percent throttle, It runs nice and fat 11.1 - 11.8 at lower rpm under boost. At more than 40 percent, and under a bigger load with more than 4 pounds of boost and or higher than 3800 rpm, its dead lean... so lean my AF gauge cant read it.

The SAFC-II will NOT richen it up at all at higher rpm/throttle. I dont know why. Its retarded.

If I drive like a grandma, its ok. haha. Piece of garbage IMO. I am going to put a turbo computer in it and be done. There is absolutely no way in fooling that computer.. its never going to run the riht a/f ratio.

I love speed density systems

tune

sounds like a fuel problem.. u gotta get a fuel pump...
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Dude. Fuel pump!
    7g for life!

Well, I finally had time to check the fuel pressure... its a solid 37-38 lbs so the car is for sale. $1500 drives it away complete, or part out the turbo system for $500. I have too many other priorities, and I dont have time for it. Thanks for the help anyways. Forum rules say I need 50 contributing posts to be able to post it in the for sale section. Just pm me if your interested.
    I am located in southern Minnesota.

parts

what do u want for the wideband if ur willing to part??

Keep FS questions to PM please.
    7g for life!