The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: need help to identify a part

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

need help to identify a part

ok i know its part of the exhaust system and it has what looks like mesh on it and its a little ways down after the headers, does anyone know what this is? cause i need to get a new one as the one thats on there now has a leak and is leaking exhaust fumes
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

WarmAndSCSI
    Does it kind of look like this: ?

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    Does it kind of look like this: ?
    yup thats it, what is it exactly?
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

WarmAndSCSI
    It's usually just called flex pipe. A reputable exhaust shop should be able to replace it. You might have to source the flex pipe yourself. http://www.summitracing.com has a good selection.

how hard would it be to replace it myself? cause i want to save as much money as i can
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Old one needs to be cut out, new one needs to be welded in. Or just buy a new downpipe as it has the flex pipe already installed. Probably cheaper to have an exhaust shop to weld it in, probably only cost $30-50.
    7g for life!

WarmAndSCSI
    The downpipe is extremely expensive for the Galant since the catalytic converter is integrated into it, so definitely just have a new flex pipe welded in.

edit: never mind, I was looking at the wrong CAPS diagram... you can indeed buy the front pipe separate from the cat.

ok i figure i would update this post with a pic of the part so here it is

now to me from this image and from looking at it myself it looks like its just held on by some bolts on either end instead of welded on and also my uncle says he knows someone with access to mitsu parts and he is gonna try and get me a new flex pipe :)
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

i went to a midas to get a quote when mine cracked and they wanted 650 for the a new piece( from bottom of the exhaust mani to the begining of the cat) and 250 for installation and gaskets. i promptly replied for the guy to suck my dick and took the estimate. i got the same piece for 130 with a 5 year warranty and all the gaskets.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

^^^^ :smt044 :smt082 :smt043

those guys at midas are asses. Ive gotn bullshitted like that too...
    7G SOHC 5SPD

well im finally getting this thing replaced for $119 plus tax and it should be done by this afternoon
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

good plan, you could crack the exhaust without it. But it is wielded in. I know because I just took mine out. Do as i say not as I do.
    "All day baby, all day, except in the morning."

performance mods
    -custom cai (never said it was good)
    -custom 2.5" exhaust + test pipe
    -pacesetter headers
    Visual mods
    -HID headlights
    -havc white/blue/red replacement

just got my car back and its soo quiet that when i first started it up i thought there was something wrong and tryed to start it up 2 more times lol
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511