The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: how can you...

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18
    Experienced TGC Member o1naturalhigh's Avatar

how can you...

...know if your speedometer(and all other meters on gauge cluster) is the right reading? i cleared my needles a while back, they all work...but for some reason, i don't think they read the right reading...

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    well you would need some other type of guage or meter to read it i would guess...

yeah, but what??

WarmAndSCSI
    Can you borrow a portable GPS from anybody? That's how I check mine.

Quote Originally Posted by WarmAndSCSI
    nope...is there another way i can do it myself???

WarmAndSCSI
    Quote Originally Posted by o1naturalhigh
    Mile markers on a highway. Maintain a constant speed between two mile posts and do the math.

Mile markers on a highway. Maintain a constant speed between two mile posts and do the math.
    got an equation to go along with that??? not too good on math...

WarmAndSCSI
    So you'll cover exactly 1 mile between the two markers. Set your cruise control (if you have it) or keep a constant speed as well as you can. Make a mental note of that exact speed. Then, count the number of seconds it takes you to get from mile marker A to mile marker B (this is 1 mile).

1 mile divided by the number of seconds it took you gets you miles/second. Multiply that number by 3600 (60 times 60) to get you miles/hour. Compare this number to your observed speedometer speed.

For example, say it took you 47 seconds to travel that one mile. 1 mile divided by 47 seconds is 0.0213 miles/second. Multiply that by 3600 and you get 76.6 miles/hour.

Hope that helps :D

thanks...i'll try tomorrow on the way to work...

so...besides a gps and this...what else would work, machine-wise???

if you look through the service manual, it will say how to make sure your gauges are calibrated. kinda tricky.

you can slap the car on a dyno and it can tell you how fast its going.

water temp gauge will tell you water temp. although the factory gauge doesn't tell you much anyways.

some obd-ii tools such as the scangauge gives out readings such as mph, rpm and water temp. just plug it in and it tells you the info.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

Quote Originally Posted by pinoyesv6
    if you look through the service manual, it will say how to make sure your gauges are calibrated. kinda tricky.

you can slap the car on a dyno and it can tell you how fast its going.

water temp gauge will tell you water temp. although the factory gauge doesn't tell you much anyways.

some obd-ii tools such as the scangauge gives out readings such as mph, rpm and water temp. just plug it in and it tells you the info.
    that's what i was looking for...thanks pinoy...

is your car v6 or i4? if it's v6 there is a way to do it w/o any tools. i only know this because i paid attention to my stock gauges b4 i swapped 3 seperate times (SPEEDHUT protoype, GDI, AC S7) and had to recalibrate each time.

this works for V6's (not sure about the i4) assuming that your tires are near stock diameter.

1st gear runs to redline at 45mph.

lock your car into 1st gear and run to 45mph. your tach should be bouncing off the revlimiter at 6250rpm and your speedo should read 45mph; if it doesn't STOP and readjust (please don't try to make adjustments while you are driving). repeat until you have it. now go fill your tank. turn the car on and wait for a minute then put the gas needle at full and the temp needle at a hair under half way. clip the clear plastic back on your gauge cluster and screw the main bezel back in and you are done!

haha... just found this from 2002:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/viewtopic.php?t=3899

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    ive taken my needles out a few times... the original speedhut EL's i had prototyped required gauge removal... the GDI's i customized so i had to remove the gauges again for those.

b4 i did this i knew my car... ES V6. i know what temp it runs at. i know what the redline is, i know what mph each of the 1st 2 gears is redlining at; unless u change your gearing ratios and rev-limiter, these are constant accross all 8G V6's.

knowing the above, this is what i do to calibrate:

install the gauges w/ the clear cover and main bezel off.
    go fill the tank.
    now go drive around the block so the car warms up and pull over then place the fuel needle at full and push it in lightly so it stays but not so it touches the gauge face.
    do the same w/ the temp gauge at a little under halfway on the scale.
    place the speedo needle on lightly at 0mph.
    place the tach needle on lightly at about 750rpm idle.
    lock into 1st gear "L".
    drive to redline... your tach should be at 6250rpm and your speedo should be at 45 mph... if it's not, pull over and pull the needle off and adjust where it goes on and push it on lightly again. repeat until you get it right and when u do push needles in a little more to secure them.
    now snap in the clear lense and screw in the main bezel and you are done.

is your car v6 or i4? if it's v6...
    its an i4

is your car v6 or i4? if it's v6...
    its an i4
    ask someone w/ an i4 to find out what mph and rpm the car redlines in 1st gear... mods won't matter as the gear ratio will still b the same (unless of course they modified their tranny including a 5 speed swap). if you know those 2 numbers (redline and 1st gear top speed), you can calibrate pretty well w/o tools by follwing my directions above.

someone correct me if im wrong, but i think those speeds are in the owners manual. or maybe the fsm. but i think its the owners manual. might want to look there.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

TGC Regular
    someone correct me if im wrong, but i think those speeds are in the owners manual. or maybe the fsm. but i think its the owners manual. might want to look there.
    Yeah, they are in the owners manual

o haha, i never looked.

well...to let you guys know...my friend(that is a mechanic)...i asked him if he has that tool that does all that...he said yes...i borrow it tonight til tomorrow...bring it back for the pacqiao fight...