The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Feels like a Boat!!

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Feels like a Boat!!

My G drives like a boat on the freeway sways when hitting bumps, which almost feels like the wind is pushing the car to the side, Even on calm days with no wind. It will also happen when not hitting bumps but hitting a dip in the road. I had new tires and rims put on 20,000 miles ago and there was no problems. About 3 months or 5,000 ago I noticed the sway bar links where broke loose. I think i may have been driving the car like that for atleast a month before i caught it and fixed it. Could it be the shocks which are now possibly blown which is causing the car to feel and drive like crap. Or is it something else. And yes the wheel bearings are still good and all bushings which are visable seem to be good.

check shocks... but first check alignment.

Stock 8G suspension seems to drive like that anyway from my perception. I put on a strutbar and it seemed to tighten up freeway steering a little. Our dampers seem to be real mushy too. I plan on getting a set of Tein this year.

x2 on the alignment. also check to make sure your tie rods and tie rod ends are not worn. if there is a lot of sway in the vehicle, like mine had, i had to replace the tie rods and ball joints.

I have almost 120,000 on my suspension. Up untill the swaybar links broke i never felt a thing, and the supension was much more tighter. Thats why i think its the shocks, the sway bar broke loose, the shocks take all the force from driving. Which in return blew them.

Dienekes1982,
    I jacked the front end up so both tires where off the ground. And I pulled, pushed, and twisted on everything on the suspension. no play what so every. Is there another way to check those things you mentioned?

Reelax,
    I will have to get the suspension check out first, thanks good call, hope thats all it is.

check the bushings agian, with a flashlight, make sure there arent any cracks. check these, located on the end of your tie rod, connecting to your lower control arm...

check the bushings for cracks as well

also check for play in the rear joint of the tie rod...

I was having that problem, changed the struts to KYB, and helped quite a bit.

Replace the struts, which will include aligning the vehicle...at least at reputable shops. Be wary of shops that do that work but can't align it.

I did it myself then took it to Sears to get an alignment. It takes about 4 hours to do and helps having a friend to help out - which I didn't have.
    2002 ES
    KYB Struts
    17" wheels
    K&N air filter