The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: shock and strut question

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9

shock and strut question

i just ordered the progress lowering springs for my 8g and i wanted to know if the lowering of my car without aftermarket struts and shocks would make the tire rub on the arm above the rim.because i searched around on here and someone said they had a rubing problem with there 18's.i have 17x7 konig reasons with falken ziex ze-512 rubber on right now and i was wondering if i would have the same problem and if getting more low pro tires would make a differance?also i wanted to know if the KYB GR2's are any good,and if 268.00 would be a good price for the whole set.
    thanks.

If you are lowering the vehicle your best bet is to replace the struts and shocks.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Factory struts and shocks aren't designed for the dynamics of a lowered vehicle...especially if the the original OEM struts/shocks have alot of miles on them already.

KYB GR-2's are your best bet...priced affordable and engineered to handled a lowered vehicle that not too extreme. (2" or more)

If money is tight you could use your OEM struts/shocks..but dampening will eventually become very poor and yes you could rub on certain bumps or uneven road surfaces.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

well stock struts will bottom out real easy with the 2.2" drop(i think thats progress springs drop), i wasnt going to change my stock struts/shocks until summer but when i put the spring on the strut it had no travel at all(2" drop in front), and i wasnt going to risk it...so i went with KYB GR2's, which are stiffer than factory so thats your best bet

2001 5 speed 4g64T

I read from another tread about the comparison between KYB AGX vs GR2's. The KYB AGX are better, they built for performance.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdragon100 View Post
    i just ordered the progress lowering springs for my 8g and i wanted to know if the lowering of my car without aftermarket struts and shocks would make the tire rub on the arm above the rim.because i searched around on here and someone said they had a rubing problem with there 18's.i have 17x7 konig reasons with falken ziex ze-512 rubber on right now and i was wondering if i would have the same problem and if getting more low pro tires would make a differance?also i wanted to know if the KYB GR2's are any good,and if 268.00 would be a good price for the whole set.
    thanks.

my opinion go with agx since ur getting progress springs and 265 for gr2 is a fair price but i paid like 245 shipped on ebay but save for agx
    03 I4

Quote Originally Posted by Galante View Post
    I read from another tread about the comparison between KYB AGX vs GR2's. The KYB AGX are better, they built for performance.
    I don't know how much better the ride quality is when comparing the AGX's to the GR2's, but I had the GR2's installed the other day with Vogtland lowering springs and the ride is awesome. It feels much better than when the car was new rolling stock. In regards to the AGX, I'm the type of person that wouldn't have taken the time to manually adjust the shocks, so I would have wasted my money on the AGX's. IMO, the GR2's are great and I couldn't be happier. Previously, I had the stock struts and Progress springs and every time I stepped on the gas (i.e. to race...) the whole front end would vibrate, including the glove box. That has now been eliminated and like I said, I couldn't be happier. Plus, I went from 2.2" drop down to 1.2" drop and it's now much easier for me to get in and out of the car with my bum knee. The car no longer looks lowered like in my signature pic, but it does look better than stock and I can now park in any parking slot and not scrub my front bumper on the cement stop or curb; when opening the door, the door doesn't scrape the sidewalk, either! When I parked at work, I took a look around at some of the newer cars and I'd say it sits as low as those cars (M45, A6 & IS250). Those cars are stock and not lowered, but I'd say their suspension is more sport oriented than a stock Galant, which sits up like a 4x4.

I rented a 2008 Malibu LTZ last week and the ride on my Galant is far better than that car, however at the time when I was driving that car, I thought that car rode pretty smooth, which it did, but like I said, the Galant rolls better than that now.

I got the GR2's plus springs for $349 on Ebay.
    Last edited by BGR; 05-29-2008 at 02:13 PM

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy_o2 View Post
    my opinion go with agx since ur getting progress springs and 265 for gr2 is a fair price but i paid like 245 shipped on ebay but save for agx
    I just checked on Ebay and found a set going for $225 shipped. Oh well. I paid $411 (inc. shipping) for springs and GR2's, but I think it was money well spent. It only cost $185 to install, too.

if you want a stiff sporty ride ( you bought the springs already) the KYB agx will let you adjust them from soft to hard. Only four adjustment 1 soft- 4 hard. The drop from your springs may wear the KYB gr2 quickly. I know a few members who had them wear out in 2 years.
    8G 4 life!

Mods: CAI,Grounding wires, CCorners, Shaved, 3G STB. AGX/Teins, Addco bar, OZ F1 wheels And well maintained : )