The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car Over Heating

Showing results 1 to 20 of 20

Car Over Heating

Yea my car is over heating.... first it was my fan fuse was blown....then i realized that the coolant wasn't greenish it was like brownish. so tomorrow i'm doin a radiator flush. if that doesn't work idk what will maybe i need a new temp gauge?

any info let me kno...

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    you need to do a radiator flush. if you fan is not working you'll need a fan switch or/and coolant temp sensor.

yea i got the fan fixed... i ended up checkin the fuse last night and put it in the wrong spot. so fan's not the problem... but i'm gunna take you up on the radiator flush... if that isn't doin it i'm goin to do the temp senor.... any other suggestions?

thermostat?

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3
    thermostat?
    might as well

i just had the same damn problem with overheating.

get a new thermo, flush the radiator (or drain and fill as some say) and the coolant lines. make sure the radiator isnt clogged with leaves or cottonwood fuzz or whatever. just spray it out with a hose, but not too hard cause you could bend the fins.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Experienced TGC Member
    radiator may be rotten also

Quote Originally Posted by pvu_rida
    radiator may be rotten also
    Let's hope not.

Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    i just had the same damn problem with overheating.

get a new thermo, flush the radiator (or drain and fill as some say) and the coolant lines. make sure the radiator isnt clogged with leaves or cottonwood fuzz or whatever. just spray it out with a hose, but not too hard cause you could bend the fins.
    thanx bro i did the flush and now it works great. no need for the thermo sensor... thanx guyz

good to hear.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

cool

Experienced TGC Member
    yezsir

okay my car started over heating again so now i'm thinkin its my thermo sensor... so i bought one.... where is it located. in all my other cars in was right up front idk where it is on the galant

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I had a very similar problem with my g/f's 8g...the car was neglected very much previously. Like you..the coolant was brown with a clayish viscosity. Your coolant temp sensor might not the problem...its probably very poor cooling circulation.

Here is what I did initially...I did the coolant flushes and replaced the thermostat. The car didn't overheat for a month..then it started to over heat again. I did another coolant flush and withing a week or so it overheated again and the coolant would never stay green.

What I ended up doing is draining out all the coolant. Dump coolant flush into the system and followed the recommend time for the flush to do its thing. (I did this twice) I replaced the old radiator...the old one was SEVERLY rusted inside, no way of saving it. I replaced the thermostat with a OEM one and filled with coolant and cooling system flush. I did the recommend flush time then drained the whole system again. I refilled the cooling system with 50/50 premixed (I strongly recommed getting premixed) and checked over and its been 6 months since I did that and the cooling system is running just fine and perfect.

You need take care of the issue soon...prolong overheating issues could cause your headgasket to prematurely fail, cause more damage to your heater core, Water pump failure....ALL 3 are Expensive to repair.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

thanx where is the thermo located... i can't find it and its drving me crazy

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Do you have a 4cyl? Its located right under where the intake and Tbody meet. You will have to remove the intake to have some room to work around there. Its a bit of a pain ....ALOT harder compared to my 7g and 6g.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

yea i think i know what ur talkin about.... it's possible to do or will i need a mechanic to do it...

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thealliance43
    yea i think i know what ur talkin about.... it's possible to do or will i need a mechanic to do it...
    Its not that hard... I watched my mechanic do it before.... ur prolly gonna have to move ur battery and the platform out of the way... also get a OEM thermostat... not the cheap autozone one

i went to pep boys and got it with a new gasket...i'm gunna attempt it today

1st remove the battery. 2nd remove the 3bolts that keep the black metal stand that is under the battery and remove battery stand (or whatever you call it) Now you have enough room to remove the 3 bolts for the hose. Remove that hose and you'll see the thermostat at the top of it. This is for 4cyl (i4).