The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: EVO radiator upgrade

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 41

EVO radiator upgrade

this is a cost effective upgrade if you're looking for a bigger radiator. the evo radiator fits with a few modifications, mainly, the way the fans mount. (a few zip ties will do the trick). i paid 100 bucks shipped for the radiator.

here are some pics. as you can see it's more than half as thick but takes up the same total amount of area.

From Boost Addicts to Carbon Fanatics™ www.socalautowerks.com

Censee: Im trying to pimp some hoes for money for the lsd. 3/28/2011
    Cali: Sig 3/28/2011

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Good find.. any trouble with hoses?

what kind of difference does it make?
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    you still have room for your condenser?

^^^ HOLY BIG SIG.... nice upgrade.. I was lookin at your sig cali and do you happen to have any dyno vids?

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

From which evo is this radiator? 8?

Quote Originally Posted by Strizi
    From which evo is this radiator? 8?
    yes

what kind of difference does it make?
    more room in engine bay

looks like you got to take the extention out of your upper radiator hose huh cali?
    i assume you'll be ordering a new set soon enough.

looks good,
    gotta love the extra capacity.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    looks like you got to take the extention out of your upper radiator hose huh cali?

looks good,
    yup. that's one thing i was looking forward to. i'll order a new one soon. :)

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Noel, the EVO radiator fit too without needing to cut the edges to fit the JDM heads? Thats the way it looks, I didnt put my headlights in yet, so I cant tell if its gonna hit or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Do you guys know of a half size radiator that will fit the galant? i havent been able to test fit any that are made for honda's... i always wondered if the evo radiator worked thanks for posting this up Cali
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi
    Noel, the EVO radiator fit too without needing to cut the edges to fit the JDM heads? Thats the way it looks, I didnt put my headlights in yet, so I cant tell if its gonna hit or not.
    i didnt even bother to check to see if it fit without cutting, i just went ahead and cut it anyways.

and yes, the condenser wasnt a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by underated
    Do you guys know of a half size radiator that will fit the galant? i havent been able to test fit any that are made for honda's... i always wondered if the evo radiator worked thanks for posting this up Cali
    I had an Ebay civic radiator in my car, its not a direct bolt on, you need to relocate the top mounting bracket more towards the center of the car on the radiator support and you need to fabricate a lower mount on the passenger side. Its not really hard to make it fit, it took me a trip to home depot, $30 for a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum 2 feet by 2 inches. I drilled a hole in one end, and got 2 big washers and a bolt and bolted it thru the stock rubber lower radiator mount on the passenger side. Then I line it up with the lower mount on the civic radiator, drilled another hole in it and slid the mounting peg on the civid radiator into it.
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Cali
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr

looks good,
    yup. that's one thing i was looking forward to. i'll order a new one soon. :)
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE!!!!!

Ok so I just tried this today, the EVO radiator hoses WILL NOT WORK in our car with the EVO radiator. The hoses are 2" too short, this makes sense since on the EVO the radiator is close to the motor. I was the ginnea (sp?) pig for this one, dont make the same mistake. I just bought a set of $100 samco radiator hoses that dont fit. NO GOOD !
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

You are here entirely tooo much!! Serstylz2's Avatar
    so the Galant hoses won't work on an EVO radiator??

Quote Originally Posted by Serstylz2
    so the Galant hoses won't work on an EVO radiator??
    LOL I dont know that either. I dont have stock 8g hoses anymore because I havent had a 4G64 motor in like 3 years. I'll try to get my hands on some. I think the galant lower hose will work but im skeptical about the upper hose.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I though i would give this a try since my radiator started to leak. what modification did you use so it would fit into the bottom mounts? i noticed when i got the evo radiator the bottom mounting pegs are wider apart than the galant ones. i tried to modify the bushings but then i can't get the top pegs to line up good enough to use the top brackets on it to hold it in place. also did you put both fans back on or would just one work? any help would be great. thanks.

I cut off both bottom pegs, sanded them smooth, lined up the radiator to clear the headlights and fit the top brackets, then I marked the bottom of the radiator and I used plastic weld and DuraMix plastic adhesive to put the pegs back on. A body shop can do this if you dont feel confident. For the upper mounts, I used a dremel and I slotted the bolt holes in the bracket itself, I sorta made them oval from side to side, to allow for some adjustment to get it to fit nice. I have a slim line fan, I never tried it with a stock fan.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

I got everything back in to where it fit and looks good. i went to the dealership to get some fluid to change in the auto trans and asked about the evo fans. they kinda looked at me funny when i told them i had an evo radiator in a galant. i'm just wondering about fans, should i get 2 and wire them in? they said i would need two cause of my a/c condenser. so would two slim line fans work to keep the radiator and condenser cool without some sort of a fan shroud covering the back side of the radiator? also told them i had an outlander manifold on there and they got a weird look on thier faces. told them the stock on broke and they said i should have put a brace under the throttle bodie lol.

You can get two 10" slim lines for about $50 each and wire them up to a relay and use the stock turn on wire to turn on the relay and it will work fine. Two slim lines will definetly work good enough without shrouding.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast