The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: got some new problems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 42

got some new problems

when i get in my G and start it up, it goes to start up and then cuts off, then 2nd time i start it up, it starts up fine, i also just recently noticed that when i use the A/C my RPMS drop and the car idles really badly, anyone have any ideas on what might be causing this?
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

Experienced TGC Member
    the idle changes when the a/c gets turned on but the computer should regulate it. About the startup are you getting any cel codes?
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4
    the idle changes when the a/c gets turned on but the computer should regulate it. About the startup are you getting any cel codes?
    sure am but no way to check the CEL codes, the sticky for how to do it on my car doesnt seem to work and i cant find a shop around here that can do it and i dont want to go to the dealer
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

ok so i get in my car today and start it up and it starts right up no problems i go to turn on the a/c and it seems the idle gets kinda bad with each setting i could be wrong, but when i turned it to the 2nd or 3rd setting my car almost cuts off and for a split sec the lights on the guage cluster lights up like when you first start your car and then the car idles normly, anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this? i have never seen or heard of something like this happening
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

Maybe the a/c compressor.. Im not sure but it seems that someting with in your a/c unit is causing you the prbolem... does it happen when the heat is on ?

FOUNDER OF THE EVO WING ON A G GROUP member #1

Quote Originally Posted by mattalicslvr8g02
    Maybe the a/c compressor.. Im not sure but it seems that someting with in your a/c unit is causing you the prbolem... does it happen when the heat is on ?
    i havent checked with the heat but it happens while the car is parked and not while its moving
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

Quote Originally Posted by luke9511
    i havent checked with the heat but it happens while the car is parked and not while its moving
    where is the rpm's at when nothing is on and your idleing in park?

like 1 or 2 lines below 1000
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

thats where it is supposed to be .. hmm It might be someting wrong with-in the a/c unit like i said

thats where it is supposed to be .. hmm It might be someting wrong with-in the a/c unit like i said
    is there anyway to get it checked and how much it would cost?
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

is there anyway to get it checked and how much it would cost?
    that I do not know

every 4 banger gets alittle sluggish when the ac is turned on. Thats because the condenser is using up horses that would normally be going to the engine, hence the drop in rpms. When your driving this is also noticiable, but not as bad. Also, do your lights seem to dim at night when you let of the gas? My reccomendation is to switch to a redtop battery if you already dont have one. They have extra juice and that will help your alternator pick up. I would also check my alternator belt. Good luck
    7G SOHC 5SPD

Quote Originally Posted by Diamndsr4eva
    every 4 banger gets alittle sluggish when the ac is turned on. Thats because the condenser is using up horses that would normally be going to the engine, hence the drop in rpms. When your driving this is also noticiable, but not as bad. Also, do your lights seem to dim at night when you let of the gas? My reccomendation is to switch to a redtop battery if you already dont have one. They have extra juice and that will help your alternator pick up. I would also check my alternator belt. Good luck
    i can understand that but the problem with the a/c only started recently and my lights are fine
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

^^ok. But with the problems uve described, there can only be two things wrong with your a/c system. Either the compresser is fucked or the belt thats driving it Is stretched and not working right. Maybe thts why u get the engine bogging when you adjust to a higher setting on the a/c. See when you turn the a/c to a higher setting, the more you demand from the compresser...i dunno though, check your alt belt and check ur compressoer unit...but i still would upgrade to a bigger batt.
    7G SOHC 5SPD

Quote Originally Posted by Diamndsr4eva
    ^^ok. But with the problems uve described, there can only be two things wrong with your a/c system. Either the compresser is fucked or the belt thats driving it Is stretched and not working right. Maybe thts why u get the engine bogging when you adjust to a higher setting on the a/c. See when you turn the a/c to a higher setting, the more you demand from the compresser...i dunno though, check your alt belt and check ur compressoer unit...but i still would upgrade to a bigger batt.
    trust me if it were up to me i would have atleast a red top, but im not the one paying for the repairs, the alt belt was replaced last year when it broke on me on my way to get my new pair of glasses, how would i go about checking the compressoer?
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

I really dont know. My guess is have a trusted mech do a checkup for you... :?
    7G SOHC 5SPD

Id say check your belts, cause if your lights go dim and everything that seems like something is wrong with a belt like the alternator like its not getting charged. Could be a/c compressor like they already said

1. Go to autozone. They will check your CEL codes for free. Worse case is you buy a cheap code reader (can be had for as low as $39 at harbor freight or Checker auto parts when on sale) and check them your self. 1996 has an OBDII system/plug which is very common.

2. I can't speak from experience on the Galants but from other cars I have worked on when the AC is switched on a solenoid is also switched on. This solenoid raises the rpms to compensate for the extra drag the AC compressor causes when it engages. The solenoid is generally located so that it pushes on part of the throttle mechanism to open it up. Take a look around and see if you don't have something like that on your car and look for connectors that are not locked tightly together.

3. If you want to exclude your AC compressor as being part of the problem, remove the AC belt. Now start the car and press the AC on. Without the belt the AC compressor can't cause any drag. If you are still getting the problem with the belt removed I think you have an electrical problem arising from the switch and its circuit. If you don't experience the problem then I would suspect either the AC compressor is creating too much drag on the engine (bad compressor) or whatever it is that tells the engine to increase its rpms because the AC has been turned on is not doing its job. Hope this helps, jjj
    jjj
    98 ES (5 spd), 94 GS (5 spd), 94 ES (rebuilt auto), 92 Toyota 4X4, 81 KZ550 A2, 67 Mercedes 250S, 58 Mercedes 190SL

Quote Originally Posted by eksz
    1. Go to autozone. They will check your CEL codes for free. Worse case is you buy a cheap code reader (can be had for as low as $39 at harbor freight or Checker auto parts when on sale) and check them your self. 1996 has an OBDII system/plug which is very common.

2. I can't speak from experience on the Galants but from other cars I have worked on when the AC is switched on a solenoid is also switched on. This solenoid raises the rpms to compensate for the extra drag the AC compressor causes when it engages. The solenoid is generally located so that it pushes on part of the throttle mechanism to open it up. Take a look around and see if you don't have something like that on your car and look for connectors that are not locked tightly together.

3. If you want to exclude your AC compressor as being part of the problem, remove the AC belt. Now start the car and press the AC on. Without the belt the AC compressor can't cause any drag. If you are still getting the problem with the belt removed I think you have an electrical problem arising from the switch and its circuit. If you don't experience the problem then I would suspect either the AC compressor is creating too much drag on the engine (bad compressor) or whatever it is that tells the engine to increase its rpms because the AC has been turned on is not doing its job. Hope this helps, jjj
    cant go to autozone to get the codes read cause the connector is obd2 but the computer is obd1 and the a/c doesnt seem to be doing anything like i said it was doing anymore
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

i got some sad news, if we cant figure out whats wrong with the G and get it fixed before september then when september comes around (that is when my tags expire) we are going to junk the G :cry: :cry: we took my car to a shop today to see if they could read the codes and we couldnt and it cost my grandparents 50 bucks! :cry: i dont know what im gonna do with this car :cry:
    mitsumitsu aka luke9511

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast