The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cam Choice...

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Cam Choice...

I was just wondering if anyone knew of any cams for the stock head. I was looking at Tearstone.coma and i found some rpw cams. Or can i just use like some HKS 264's from a 63? I plan on getting a adjustable cam gear if that helps determine if i can run a 63 Crower or HKS...

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    You need the RPW cam for the SOHC. Not sure what cam is on Tearstones site. But with a more agressive cam, you will need aftermarket springs/retainers.
    7g for life!

You can't use a cam from the 63 because the 64 has intake and exhaust on one cam and the 63 has seperate cams for each.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Pussy, run the 272's.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Well i was goin to run 272's when i do the head swap. But i was goin to turbo the sohc and i can get the retainers and spring for free but i was tryin to find somewhere else cause the rpw cost's $600

brian crower stage 3's are going in my 63 head :twisted:

Ya im thinking about goin with the 264/272 setup with my head swap and then replace valves, spring retainers, basically everything in it. But while i built that head i was goin to throw a cam into my sohc but i was hoping i could find one that was under 600

for the dohc, there aftermarket cams such as FP/CompCams, JUN Auto, Tomei, Brian Crower, Crower, HKS, RPW, and a few others. as far as stock cams upgrades, there is the GS cams, the 4G63 NA intake cam, and the 4G67/G4CN cams(260 dur, 10m lift intake; 264 dur 9.5mm lift exhaust). [it is rumor that the evo 8 intake cam can be swap into dsm as an exhaust cam. ] for the sohc, i can only think of RPW for upgrade cams.
    94 Galant GS: 4G67 head, 1G IM, Evo 8 TB, DeltaCam 272/264 Cams, Test Pipe, OE Avenger V6 60mm catback w/muffler, modified Outlander header, DIY COP setup, B/S delete, 315cc injectors, AEM UEGO WBO2, Black case 3G ECU

1994 GS FYI
    DSM/CSM Manuals

ya rpw was the only cam i could find...and could only find it for $600.... and for that much ill just wait for the head swap cause i plan on 64/72 intake/exhaust so i guess ill just wait.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    If you go with 272's ...you can still use stock valvetrain. Unless you are revving in the 9000's. Though it doesn't hurt to upgrade the springs and retainers, but its not required. There are guys around here running 272 duration cams on EVO's and DSM's still on stock valvetrain. There is a handful though that have upgraded...but thats because they are revving 9000 and up. :smt112

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

FYI, Places like Crane or Lunati will custom grind you a cam for under $500 if you send them a core cam and some basic specs/ goals for your engine. That's how popular cams came into existance to begin with. The same general rule applies to headers as well.
    Staying busy is important. After all, idle hands spend time at the genitles.

Well if it was this head that i had i wouldnt be worried about building up the valve train...but since im doing the head swap and all ill already have it out so i figured might as well cover everything. After i get the head built im planning on building up a new 64 block and once its built put the head on that one.