The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: read first post b4 voting please.

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • TOYO PROXES 4

10 50.00%
  • NITTO INVO (winner)

7 35.00%
  • other

3 15.00%

Thread: getting new tires on saturday... updated w/ pics!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 103
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    i found this in this months issue of Sport Compact Car:

Picking the penny-pincher deal at Wal-Mart is tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot. Nothing says more than rolling up with a brand new set of forged Volks alloys mounted with Nangkang grocery-getter tires.
    i had to double check the editor's name to see if it was Reelax.
    Thats actually rather true. Personally I don't see any reason anyone should EVER buy tires from a grocery store. I cringe when people tell me they bought tires from them.

Leave it to the professional tire shops not a grocery store.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Picking the penny-pincher deal at Wal-Mart is tantamount to shooting yourself in the foot. Nothing says more than rolling up with a brand new set of forged Volks alloys mounted with Nangkang grocery-getter tires.
    Hmmm, funny that you would say that about the tires I was talking about since SCC likes both of them, yes I have the issue where they did a little blurb as a review on them. I'd actually like to see someone buy any of those tires from wal-mart, hell they wouldnt even mount my avons.

So yeah, I'll keep hauling ass and placing high in autocross, on my cheap wal-mart specials.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    you opened ur mouth on something u r ignorant about, and kept on running it; i just helped shut it for u. and to think i helped u out before w/ some info out of kindess (so you wouldn't fuck up your car or waste money buying the wrong sizes) https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/vi...c.php?p=600607 ...

and then u come at me here like a bitch.

ungreatful ass. next time i'll keep it to myself and let u learn on your own.
    What does that have to do with this at all? All of a sudden I'm ignorant and you "shut my mouth" because I have a difference of opinion to you? Why are you hating on me now? is it because I speak my mind and I wasn't dissuaded when your temper tantrum started a few posts ago? I even explained my motives and ended on an up note ( I still do hope you enjoy your new tires, they look nice.) But that wasn't good enough, because this isn't about the tires.

its not about being friendly or helpful or even having a rational discussion anymore. You're desperately trying to save face after some perceived insult. I never intended to insult anyone, how was I to know you were so sensitive about this? I assumed by the tone you took with 6g72gearhead that you could handle it, but clearly I was wrong and for that I apologize.

as for the assistance you gave me in the other thread, you can go ahead and not say shit on my behalf from now on. I'm sure I shall simply perish without your supreme benevolence (and tape measure) in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead

Hmmm, funny that you would say that about the tires I was talking about since SCC likes both of them, yes I have the issue where they did a little blurb as a review on them. I'd actually like to see someone buy any of those tires from wal-mart, hell they wouldnt even mount my avons.

So yeah, I'll keep hauling ass and placing high in autocross, on my cheap wal-mart specials.
    you missed the point entirely, so i guess i have to be blunt since the previous intangible examples have not been effective since you are still defending your tire suggestion here.

you do not have nice wheels. your steel CRAGAR 16x8 wheels cost about $70-$90 each right? that means i can trade my wheels in for almost 10 full sets of yours (that's 40 wheels) or i can trade 10 of your wheels for one of mine as a spare. pretty much any tire made in the right size would LOOK good on your wheels.

SCC? the SCC approves your suggested tires and alot of autocrossers use them because they are basically good cheap disposable tires for racing in parking lots and meet all requirements and regulations set by the SCC. but didn't i allready explain MY CAR IS NOT RACING EVER? wouldn't i look pretty stupid smacking cones on +3 size wheels, fully shine dressed tires, a full MOLDED body kit and about 200lbs of I.C.E.?

the whole issue here is that these tires are going on 19" multi-piece forged VOLK's on MY car and this thread was about what tires should i put on MY wheels... your car and racing should not even be in this discussion. the tires you mentioned and my wheels don't even look right together in the same sentence let alone mated together. that is why your great performing cheap tires that have gotten your performance stamp of approval will not ever be mounted on my VOLK's. your priorities are not anywhere near in-line with what i am doing. that's also why your performance stamp of approval means almost nothing in this context as well.

just to make it crystal clear, your car and my car would never be mistaken for each other (some people would not even think they were the same make/model) just like nobody would ever think your wheels and my wheels were even remotely similar (other than they are both round). you are building your car to race, i obviously am not. so why do you still believe that i should even give a little consideration to your autocrossing experience in my tire selection?

again, this whole thread was about what are the best tires for MY car and wheels, not what are the best tires for the price for autocrossing. plain and simple, i initially listed 3 tires to vote for w/ a 4th option for a tire in the same range that i did not list (KDW, GR-b, F-1 were good suggestions). for my purposes, NANKANG, KUMHO, HANKOOK etc do not meet the criteria that i requested suggestions for. do you still think my selection criteria is weighted towards best performance bang for the buck? if you can answer that, you can understand now why i did not include those tires in MY poll.

Quote Originally Posted by darkbane
    you opened ur mouth on something u r ignorant about, and kept on running it; i just helped shut it for u. and to think i helped u out before w/ some info out of kindess (so you wouldn't fuck up your car or waste money buying the wrong sizes) https://thegalantcenter.net/forum/vi...c.php?p=600607 ...

and then u come at me here like a bitch.

ungreatful ass. next time i'll keep it to myself and let u learn on your own.
    What does that have to do with this at all? All of a sudden I'm ignorant and you "shut my mouth" because I have a difference of opinion to you? Why are you hating on me now? is it because I speak my mind and I wasn't dissuaded when your temper tantrum started a few posts ago? I even explained my motives and ended on an up note ( I still do hope you enjoy your new tires, they look nice.) But that wasn't good enough, because this isn't about the tires.

its not about being friendly or helpful or even having a rational discussion anymore. You're desperately trying to save face after some perceived insult. I never intended to insult anyone, how was I to know you were so sensitive about this? I assumed by the tone you took with 6g72gearhead that you could handle it, but clearly I was wrong and for that I apologize.

as for the assistance you gave me in the other thread, you can go ahead and not say shit on my behalf from now on. I'm sure I shall simply perish without your supreme benevolence (and tape measure) in my life.
    apology accepted.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    :shock: just whorin through.... throught the fire.... :arrow:

Quote Originally Posted by milo111000
    :shock: just whorin through.... throught the fire.... :arrow:
    never a dull moment right?

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    i just can't believe what's goin on here.... from tire preference to a complete arguement way off the topic.. coming from 2 different prospectives... then a 3rd leg from nowhere... wow..

i just can't believe what's goin on here.... from tire preference to a complete arguement way off the topic.. coming from 2 different prospectives... then a 3rd leg from nowhere... wow..
    You are right. I mean he asked about specific tires that he listed, and people just started throwing in their own preferences. Reelax made it perfectly clear what tires he wanted to choose from and get PROFESSIONAL/PEOPLE W/ EXPERIENCE in using those tires. Simple enough. No need to get ya post count up w/ foul language and constant arguing over something so stupid. But hey....thats just me.

Reelax....u know what u want so get it. F the nonbelievers and haters cuz no matter what u do they will be there. And I speak for everybody on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Line
    You are right. I mean he asked about specific tires that he listed, and people just started throwing in their own preferences. Reelax made it perfectly clear what tires he wanted to choose from and get PROFESSIONAL/PEOPLE W/ EXPERIENCE in using those tires. Simple enough. No need to get ya post count up w/ foul language and constant arguing over something so stupid. But hey....thats just me.

Reelax....u know what u want so get it. F the nonbelievers and haters cuz no matter what u do they will be there. And I speak for everybody on this board.
    yeah i thought i was making it clear in my first post what this thread was about so that we could avoid any argument... o well people just love to come at me and argue i guess (and we all know how that usually ends up). well thank you for the support bro. i allready ordered the tires and should have them on by the end of the week.

TGC Regular
    Ok why are we arguing over who how much to speed on tires? :shock: Seems pretty pointless to me

Quote Originally Posted by devgrp
    Ok why are we arguing over who how much to speed on tires? :shock: Seems pretty pointless to me
    i thought so too since i don't drive fast anymore, why are we talking about speed at all? just imagine my rim vs. a pothole at 90mph or a truck tire retread going through my front bumper at 90mph!

so that we could avoid any argument... o well people just love to come at me and argue i guess (and we all know how that usually ends up).
    Its cuz you are a condecending sarcastic asshole! :smt042

Nah...agreed way off base there...ah well some peeps never learn

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

Quote Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
    so that we could avoid any argument... o well people just love to come at me and argue i guess (and we all know how that usually ends up).
    Its cuz you are a condecending sarcastic asshole! :smt042

Nah...agreed way off base there...ah well some peeps never learn
    i agree. i am an asshole, but u love me anyways and because of that i cherish what we have big boy.

you missed the point entirely, so i guess i have to be blunt since the previous intangible examples have not been effective since you are still defending your tire suggestion here.

you do not have nice wheels. your steel CRAGAR 16x8 wheels cost about $70-$90 each right? that means i can trade my wheels in for almost 10 full sets of yours (that's 40 wheels) or i can trade 10 of your wheels for one of mine as a spare. pretty much any tire made in the right size would LOOK good on your wheels.

SCC? the SCC approves your suggested tires and alot of autocrossers use them because they are basically good cheap disposable tires for racing in parking lots and meet all requirements and regulations set by the SCC. but didn't i allready explain MY CAR IS NOT RACING EVER? wouldn't i look pretty stupid smacking cones on +3 size wheels, fully shine dressed tires, a full MOLDED body kit and about 200lbs of I.C.E.?

the whole issue here is that these tires are going on 19" multi-piece forged VOLK's on MY car and this thread was about what tires should i put on MY wheels... your car and racing should not even be in this discussion. the tires you mentioned and my wheels don't even look right together in the same sentence let alone mated together. that is why your great performing cheap tires that have gotten your performance stamp of approval will not ever be mounted on my VOLK's. your priorities are not anywhere near in-line with what i am doing. that's also why your performance stamp of approval means almost nothing in this context as well.

just to make it crystal clear, your car and my car would never be mistaken for each other (some people would not even think they were the same make/model) just like nobody would ever think your wheels and my wheels were even remotely similar (other than they are both round). you are building your car to race, i obviously am not. so why do you still believe that i should even give a little consideration to your autocrossing experience in my tire selection?

again, this whole thread was about what are the best tires for MY car and wheels, not what are the best tires for the price for autocrossing. plain and simple, i initially listed 3 tires to vote for w/ a 4th option for a tire in the same range that i did not list (KDW, GR-b, F-1 were good suggestions). for my purposes, NANKANG, KUMHO, HANKOOK etc do not meet the criteria that i requested suggestions for. do you still think my selection criteria is weighted towards best performance bang for the buck? if you can answer that, you can understand now why i did not include those tires in MY poll.
    I'm not trying to convince you of anything dude. You asked for suggestions and when I gave them to you from my own personal experience you came in with guns blazing. I dont classify $550 a set cheap for street tires. Oh, and the wheels you mentioned have a $1200 set of R-compounds mounted on them. You cant get much more expensive with tires of that size. When my fucking car runs again which is a topic I dont want to get into at this moment, I'll be purchasing a $1700 set of Hoosiers that wont ever see street use. I highly doubt that would be cheap even for you. So get off your high hourse and maybe treat some suggestions you've asked for with a slight bit of respect and maybe you'll get some in return. Just because what I suggested isnt exactly up to your standards doesnt mean that they are a cheap or bad tire. It would have been easy enough for you to have said something modestly polite like, nah, thats not my style, but instead you preceeded to call them crap. I'll be honest, I dont care much for Nitto's. They havent yet had many tires that I've had particular intrest in. Most of them have been sporty, high wear tires, but the NT-01 and the Invos have piqued my intrest, I'd like to give them a try. But at this time I have no experience with them. I wont advise a tire I havent driven on.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything dude. You asked for suggestions and when I gave them to you from my own personal experience you came in with guns blazing.
    yes i asked for suggestions... but at the same time i pre-emptively excluded a few brands from the discussion in the very first post! did u miss it? then in the title of the poll i made it clear to read the first post! here i'll repeat it again for you:

"i will not mount any cheap tires like kumho or nankang on my VOLKs so don't even mention anything like that."
    why would you suggest brandX when someone specifically tells you that they are completely opposed to using brandX for whatever reason? that sounds like a crusade to me.

I dont classify $550 a set cheap for street tires.
    unfortunately those of us that are spending upwards of $500.00 per wheel do classify those as cheap tires.

Oh, and the wheels you mentioned have a $1200 set of R-compounds mounted on them. You cant get much more expensive with tires of that size. When my fucking car runs again which is a topic I dont want to get into at this moment, I'll be purchasing a $1700 set of Hoosiers that wont ever see street use. I highly doubt that would be cheap even for you.
    that's great! good for you! hip hip hooray for your R compund tires! what you fail to see is that i don't need that type of grip for my application and was not asking for any racing insight at all. by mentioning the HUGE disparity in our wheels, i was trying to convey that your criteria in tire selection is NOT similar to mine as we are mounting those shoes on completely different feet. hey pretty much all tires in the size i need are "Z" rated... so performance considerations were allready met.

So get off your high hourse and maybe treat some suggestions you've asked for with a slight bit of respect and maybe you'll get some in return.
    again do u think i asked you to suggest something i disqualified from the beginning? how does that even make sense? as for the respect... i am respected in this community and earned it over the years through words and action, you are still trying to make a name for yourself. in fact, the more i think about it, the motives in your suggestions had less to do with giving me helpful advice, and more to do w/ announcing to anyone that read this thread, what a race seasoned performance expert you are and how you could prove me wrong.

Just because what I suggested isnt exactly up to your standards doesnt mean that they are a cheap or bad tire.
    did i ever say they were bad? actually if you were paying any attention i said they were good "bang for the buck" and even called them "performance" tires.

It would have been easy enough for you to have said something modestly polite like, nah, thats not my style, but instead you preceeded to call them crap.
    quick, go find where i call them crap. it's been said ad infinitum that they are good tires, just not for this particular genre and application. did you find where i said they were crap yet?

I'll be honest, I dont care much for Nitto's. They havent yet had many tires that I've had particular intrest in. Most of them have been sporty, high wear tires, but the NT-01 and the Invos have piqued my intrest, I'd like to give them a try. But at this time I have no experience with them. I wont advise a tire I havent driven on.
    ahhhhh, now your starting to get it, well maybe not, but i still have hope for you. stick w/ it. but back to your post: "high wear" and "sporty"... do you think those attributes possibly could have more weight in my decision than lateral grip at the limit? do you think that "appearance" might have some sway on an addition to a car that that has over $10,000.00 in appearance mods allready involved? to me these are rhetorical questions.

below is the entire first post in this thread. i think maybe you still didn't read it. the direction in the title of the poll even says "READ THE FIRST POST". if you did read it, it boggles my mind how you still thought to mention those tires and still are defending your ridiculous postition even now!

READ THIS:

if you don't know much about tires, don't bother posting an answer or voting. i'm asking for opinions from knowledgeable members to make a decision. i have had at least 8 sets of tires in 18" and 19" on my car so i have a little experience here. i will not mount any cheap tires like kumho or nankang on my VOLKs so don't even mention anything like that.

ok now that that is out of the way...

235/35zr19 to be mounted on my 19x8.5 +48mm VOLK SF-Winning's

i've narrowed it down to these 3:

• TOYO PROXES 4 (300-AA-A)

YOKOHAMA AVS ES100 (280-AA-A) [eliminated from the running]

NITTO INVO (260-AA-A)

which one should i get or do you have any suggestions? i'm leaning towards the INVO's (cuz they look dope) but they are so new that nobody has any meaningful reviews on them.

thanks guys!
    this whole thing spun out of control because you didn't follow simple directions. if you followed directions, you would not have wasted your breath and mentioned an option that was thrown out before nominations were even being accepted. just because you don't get why they are not good for this application doesn't mean they should be included in my options. this has nothing to do with money... that just came into play as i tried (without avail) to help you understand and comprehend. your tires could be $500.00 a piece and it would be fine and dandy because they do what you want them to do, and that is improve your car's performance. now follow me here. i told you both cheap and expensive tires ("just about any tire in the right size") will LOOK good on your wheels because you are more concerned w/ performance than looks.

now watch this:

cheap wheel + expensive tire = "i want as much performance as i can get out of my budget and don't much care about appearance!"
    cheap wheel + cheap tire = "i don't have a big budget but i'll still shine to those that don't know this stuff"
    expensive wheel + expensive tire = "hey it's a match!"
    expensive wheel + cheap tire = "embarrassing"

do u get it yet?

First off your right in saying that on my first post I didnt read everything line for line. But you didnt tell me in anysort of remotly respectful way. You've always been somewhat condecending to me even before this thread. I'm sorry if my search for speed doesnt live up to your pretty standard but thats how I am. I like good looking cars, and yours is up at the top, but for me pretty gets in the way of faster.

Is see cheap tires as crap. Its pretty much a direct translation in my brain. You also must remember that I'm on 16"s and your comparing that to the cost of a 19" and the simple fact is that the larger rims are always going to translate into more expensive tires. Its hard to find a 16" in my dimensions for more than $170 a peice for a streetable tire, and $250 for a race slick. Surpassing that is probably pretty easy for you since having a tire that thin makes certain construction changes essential.

And finally, "Z" rated doesnt mean shit. All it means is that the tire wont explode at 149+ mph. It has no bearing on if the tire will get any kind of traction at all at that speed. Now, you did post important information, like the UTOG rating, which is still somewhat worthless. The UTOG rating is effectively how long they will last. The smaller number means the tire wont last as long, usually signifying a softer, stickier, compound. 260 AA for the Invo's is somewhat high, Its alot lower than most passenger tires which stay around the 400 mark. The "AA" puts it into a higher performance class, being a grippier tire. My Hankooks are a 200 AA A tire, the "A" signifies its optimal temprature, which A is from 70-120* the Hankooks being on the outer edge of that, and really hooking at 115*. My race tires are a 40 B C, meaning that they wont last long, 5k miles if your lucky, a B traction rating and a C temp rating, their optimal temp is 156*. Thats how I pick out tires. It makes me laugh when people are all high and mighty about their tires just because thier Z rated. It means nothing, especially since the car their mounted on wont go fast enough to even stretch their legs.

First off your right in saying that on my first post I didnt read everything line for line. But you didnt tell me in anysort of remotly respectful way. You've always been somewhat condecending to me even before this thread. I'm sorry if my search for speed doesnt live up to your pretty standard but thats how I am. I like good looking cars, and yours is up at the top, but for me pretty gets in the way of faster.
    this is the EXACT post you are talking about:

The Avon M500 is a summer tire thats also pretty nice. In the summer league are also Kumho MX's and Hankook Ventus RS-2's, the latter being my summer daily drivers, which I like alot.
    reading comprehension check guys. go read my first post in this thread.
    simple. to the point. you took it badly.

Is see cheap tires as crap. Its pretty much a direct translation in my brain. You also must remember that I'm on 16"s and your comparing that to the cost of a 19" and the simple fact is that the larger rims are always going to translate into more expensive tires. Its hard to find a 16" in my dimensions for more than $170 a peice for a streetable tire, and $250 for a race slick. Surpassing that is probably pretty easy for you since having a tire that thin makes certain construction changes essential.
    that is what i was trying to tell you... i never said they were crap... all i said is they will never be mounted on my VOLK's. you're the one who decided it was time to convince me they were worthy. performance was very minor deciding factor here, that's the point you were missing.

And finally, "Z" rated doesnt mean shit. All it means is that the tire wont explode at 149+ mph. It has no bearing on if the tire will get any kind of traction at all at that speed. Now, you did post important information, like the UTOG rating, which is still somewhat worthless. The UTOG rating is effectively how long they will last. The smaller number means the tire wont last as long, usually signifying a softer, stickier, compound. 260 AA for the Invo's is somewhat high, Its alot lower than most passenger tires which stay around the 400 mark. The "AA" puts it into a higher performance class, being a grippier tire. My Hankooks are a 200 AA A tire, the "A" signifies its optimal temprature, which A is from 70-120* the Hankooks being on the outer edge of that, and really hooking at 115*. My race tires are a 40 B C, meaning that they wont last long, 5k miles if your lucky, a B traction rating and a C temp rating, their optimal temp is 156*. Thats how I pick out tires. It makes me laugh when people are all high and mighty about their tires just because thier Z rated. It means nothing, especially since the car their mounted on wont go fast enough to even stretch their legs.
    all i was trying to get you to understand is that pretty much the only requirement that needed to be filled performance wise for my application was a "Z" rating and a treadwear index of 250+. after those requirements were met, it comes down to looks and status. open your mind. i understand getting the best performance parts for the price (racer mentality); now try to understand getting the the best parts and matching them (show car mentality). like i said so many times at this point, my car will not be racing ever (not to mention 1999 V6's are electronically governed to 128mph... and my car hasn't seen that mark in at least 4 years).

And finally, "Z" rated doesnt mean shit. All it means is that the tire wont explode at 149+ mph. It has no bearing on if the tire will get any kind of traction at all at that speed. Now, you did post important information, like the UTOG rating, which is still somewhat worthless. The UTOG rating is effectively how long they will last.
    Well, the performance rating and UTQG aren't completely worthless. Typically a "Z" rated tire will have much better traction than a lesser rated option. If you don't already know the perfomance rating actually involves cornering stability, quality of straight line wet braking, and overall mph capability. There is more to the performance rating than you think.

The UTQG isn't quite as easy to discern, but a general comparison for the consumer is adequate. Its not that worthless.

I'll go on topic for Reelax.

I see you have already eliminated the Yokomhama's. good. I ran the Parada Spec 2's on the Eclipse. Didn't like the ride or the wear. they were street radials tough so I'm pretty sure that made a huge difference. Not good for every day driving though.

I have had the Toyo FZ4's on the Galant for the past 3 years. They are discontinued and replaced by the Proxes 4 instead. Pretty much the same though. Wear is awesome for everyday driving. Cornering/handling great. Expensive yes, but worth it in the long run I believe. Highly recommend the Toyo's.

having not personally used the Nitto's, i can't say much. I have heard mostly good reviews about the previous lineups though. Less expensive, but good tire. I've heard and seen a lot of negative feedback on almost all other brands besides Toyo and Nitto. So my conclusion is that you'll most likely be good either way you choose.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast