The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

View Poll Results: read first post b4 voting please.

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • TOYO PROXES 4

10 50.00%
  • NITTO INVO (winner)

7 35.00%
  • other

3 15.00%

Thread: getting new tires on saturday... updated w/ pics!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Showing results 81 to 100 of 103
    Quote Originally Posted by SinSere
    I'll go on topic for Reelax.

I see you have already eliminated the Yokomhama's. good. I ran the Parada Spec 2's on the Eclipse. Didn't like the ride or the wear. they were street radials tough so I'm pretty sure that made a huge difference. Not good for every day driving though.

I have had the Toyo FZ4's on the Galant for the past 3 years. They are discontinued and replaced by the Proxes 4 instead. Pretty much the same though. Wear is awesome for everyday driving. Cornering/handling great. Expensive yes, but worth it in the long run I believe. Highly recommend the Toyo's.

having not personally used the Nitto's, i can't say much. I have heard mostly good reviews about the previous lineups though. Less expensive, but good tire. I've heard and seen a lot of negative feedback on almost all other brands besides Toyo and Nitto. So my conclusion is that you'll most likely be good either way you choose.
    yeah. i loved the toyos, but i wanted to try something new just for the sake of trying something new. i just had FZ4 and was about to get proxes4, then i saw the INVO's and they just look so different i wanted to try them out. they're getting installed on staurday (had to wait 1 week+ for them as nobody was stocking them in my size). i've had prada spec 2 and loved the look (but those are the tires i spun out on the freeway during HEAVY rain a few years back). Nitto's are basically Toyo's (toyo owns nitto), but nittos are aimed at the tuner crowd. INVO's actually cost about $25-$50 more each than the proxes4 right now tho.

Experienced TGC Member 6G72gearhead's Avatar
    Getting an excessive acceleration ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Quote Originally Posted by 6G72gearhead
    And finally, "Z" rated doesnt mean shit. All it means is that the tire wont explode at 149+ mph. It has no bearing on if the tire will get any kind of traction at all at that speed. Now, you did post important information, like the UTOG rating, which is still somewhat worthless. The UTOG rating is effectively how long they will last.
    Well, the performance rating and UTQG aren't completely worthless. Typically a "Z" rated tire will have much better traction than a lesser rated option. If you don't already know the perfomance rating actually involves cornering stability, quality of straight line wet braking, and overall mph capability. There is more to the performance rating than you think.

The UTQG isn't quite as easy to discern, but a general comparison for the consumer is adequate. Its not that worthless.
    The UTQG rating is not the speed rating. Thats the other stuff I went through. The speed rating is worthless, what you need to look at is the UTQG rating which would look like this, "UTQG 40 B C" or "UTQG 200 AA A". This does not ever specify a speed rating. Thats what I was saying. All a "Z" rated tire means is that it wont blow up below X speed. I have 3 sets of Z rated tires in my garage, they range from the gripless and unresponsive, to the wheel lifting and nimble. Like I said the speed rating really doesnt mean shit to total tire performance.
    RIP: Colin McRae, you will be missed.
    "I shall go before thee and make the crooked places straight."

2001 ES V6 M/T under construction
    1991 Volvo 244ti 300 whp daily driver
    www.gooichimotorsports.com

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    BOT: Reelax could you please post pics of the tires once they're installed? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1
    BOT: Reelax could you please post pics of the tires once they're installed? Thanks.
    will do.

The UTQG rating is not the speed rating. Thats the other stuff I went through. The speed rating is worthless, what you need to look at is the UTQG rating which would look like this, "UTQG 40 B C" or "UTQG 200 AA A". This does not ever specify a speed rating. Thats what I was saying. All a "Z" rated tire means is that it wont blow up below X speed. I have 3 sets of Z rated tires in my garage, they range from the gripless and unresponsive, to the wheel lifting and nimble. Like I said the speed rating really doesnt mean shit to total tire performance.
    Hold on there. I never said UTQG was related to speed at all. Not to sound condescending but I think I know more about tires than anyone here. I've sold and serviced tens of thousands of tires. I've sold to many many race enthusiasts. I've dealt directly with reps from every major tire company. I have detailed and confidential information availible to those of us in the industry.

The "Z" on your tire means much more than 'it won't blow up at 149mph'.

The UTQG and the Performance Rating both matter. The difference you see in the tires is the compound and construction of the tire. Try an "H" rated tire on you road course and then compare it to you "Z" rated tire then tell me which performs better.

But back on topic.

Yup, were argueing about not agreeing about agreeing on the same thing. You said that the UTQG wasnt worthless, kinda implying that I said it was, but what I said was worthless, at least for the cars they go on, was the speed rating. Most cars wont outrun a Z speed rating so who cares. I was just saying that I'm tired of people calling their tires uber high performance and stickier than whale cum becuase thier Z rated. The UTQG is what matters at that point. I have all Z rated tires, they range from Pirelli PZero Nero MS's to Avon Tech Ra's.
    Quote Originally Posted by RedGalant2k1
    Hold on there. I never said UTQG was related to speed at all. Not to sound condescending but I think I know more about tires than anyone here. I've sold and serviced tens of thousands of tires. I've sold to many many race enthusiasts. I've dealt directly with reps from every major tire company. I have detailed and confidential information availible to those of us in the industry.

The "Z" on your tire means much more than 'it won't blow up at 149mph'.

The UTQG and the Performance Rating both matter. The difference you see in the tires is the compound and construction of the tire. Try an "H" rated tire on you road course and then compare it to you "Z" rated tire then tell me which performs better.

But back on topic.

god damnit. NITTO's wharehouse only had 3. i left my wheels at the installers. they are going to air freight the tires in next week then they'll mount/balance them. i'll go back and swap the wheels over sometime next week.

yoko are HORRIBLE so thank god u took em out.. i had nittos nt555 they DONT last with camber AT ALL.. im hoping those other nitto u posted were to have more.. if u having any camber at all they have the new neogens which supposdly have the best camber wear of all... if not, u could also do my new setup which is the Kuhmo's i got for dirt cheap at discount... and they havent showed ANY wear yet..
    Diego

Quote Originally Posted by galantv600
    yoko are HORRIBLE so thank god u took em out.. i had nittos nt555 they DONT last with camber AT ALL.. im hoping those other nitto u posted were to have more.. if u having any camber at all they have the new neogens which supposdly have the best camber wear of all... if not, u could also do my new setup which is the Kuhmo's i got for dirt cheap at discount... and they havent showed ANY wear yet..
    read first post (i guess nobody has been reading the first post?). also i have Tein SS-P (which include upper pillow mounts and front camber plates) as well as ingalls camber kits at all four corners (front redundent). i am camber corrected to within factory spec on around a 2.5" drop.

I think with any camber, negative or positive, you are going to wear the piss out of your tires as they are not aligned correctly and puts uneven pressure on the tires. Anyone that spends money on a drop and rims/tires without an alignment shouldn't complain about uneven tire wear.
    8G Galant GTZ-juiced, 275 hp
    1G Eclipse GSX-pushin 400 whp-09/22/06 12.33 @ 113mph

The best of both worlds...

I need camber to wear my tires evenly.

pics of the winner added to first post.

That tread pattern is crazy lookin. Hows the ride? Probably even better with the extra sidewall you got too.

That tread pattern is crazy lookin. Hows the ride? Probably even better with the extra sidewall you got too.
    feels like 18's again! these tires are super quiet... haven't heard them once yet... no squeels, although i haven't really pushed them at all. but i've been riding on the stock tires for the last few weeks and corners and turns where i would hear the OE tires complain, these haven't made a peep and feel sticky so far.

I bet! You're the first person i've seen with them so I'll have to keep them in mind when I burn through my Hancooks at the track.

I bet! You're the first person i've seen with them so I'll have to keep them in mind when I burn through my Hancooks at the track.
    hell i'm the first person i've seen w/ them too... no track time in this car for me tho.

You are here entirely tooo much!! SkylineG1's Avatar
    Looks good. More pics please!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkylineG1
    Looks good. More pics please!!
    ok 2 more:

oooh. those 2 are nice. I like. Love the dirt accents too. nice touch.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Idk, the tire tread doesnt look that cool at all. Id expect more cretivity in the tread with a tire at that price ;)
    7g for life!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast