The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Laxin's Turbo Build

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 216

Laxin's Turbo Build (Dyno Sheet added)

Ok so here's the deal ... I am going turbo but I don't know which way to go. I am going to build up a nice 4g64 with dohc but I almost have everything needed to go turbo and am kind of torn between throwing it on the SOHC 64 that I have now until I get my engine built or just waiting until then to unleash the boost. :? Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by laxinwarrior; 03-13-2008 at 08:19 PM

better to learn from the mistakes you make on the expendable motor, than ruin a perfectly good one.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

well, see this is my plan. I have the SOHC 4G64 and I will turbocharge it sometime this year hopefully. But I'm also building another motor, which will be a 4G64 with the EVO head. Built and boosted. But, Im playing with the SOHC and boost so that I can have some experience with it instead of blowing the second motor up which will probabaly cost more than the boosted SOHC will if anytime it breaks. After the built motor is done and shoehorned in the engine bay.. Im applying for bullrun!
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Thanks for the quick replies, i'm leaning towards going turbo first while I build the engine but i really want a fully built 64 and I know once I go turbo i'm going to have a lot of things to deal with and it will take even longer to build the engine. :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior
    Thanks for the quick replies, i'm leaning towards going turbo first while I build the engine but i really want a fully built 64 and I know once I go turbo i'm going to have a lot of things to deal with and it will take even longer to build the engine. :evil:
    patience is a virtue my friend, Breant Rau and John Shepherd didnt go from stock to running 7's overnight.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

To go turbo SOHC what's the least fuel upgrades you guys would recommend, fuel pump rewire, 255 walbro(i know 190 works for SOHC but i would rather not upgrade twice), AFPR, injectors? I just want to know what is absolutely necessary to run safely at low boost for the initial set up so I can more accurately plan my budget.

P.S. I've already ordered a wideband as well.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Just go stock rewired pump with DSM 450cc injectors if you are only going to run 8psi on a 14b. A Walbro 190 would be more then enough.
    7g for life!

Its a 16G and i'll be running at 5psi(custom actuator), still think a rewired stocker and 450's will work?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    better to learn from the mistakes you make on the expendable motor, than ruin a perfectly good one.
    Thats a smart man talking right there. 8)

I went ahead turbo'ing the SOHC 4G64 because I didn't want to go big and do something wrong or stupid any "noob" would do. Since this was my first "turbo" car, it was my learning medium hands on. I had the car turbo for a year and I learned alot and when I bought my Galant VR4, I was able to understand some of the problems it had and also I learned more about a turbo car. Its almost like a person that buys their first turbo cars....then get to crazy w/o really understanding the workings of a turbo car and BOOM!!!

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    sohc turbo baby :D I would do like said above and turbo your sohc and learn on that motor about tuneing and other stuff. Then when you are done with the noob stage drop that dohc in.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Don't think a turbo SOHC is weak sauce. Its weakness is probably its top end..but at that it still has balls. I was able to hang with stock 4.6L Mustangs, Stock SRT-4's, stock to very lightly modded DSM's, etc etc. I never got a chance to take mine to the track...but I would ASSUME a turbo SOHC 4G64 is probably a low/mid 14 sec 1/4 car.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    Thats a smart man talking right there. 8)

I went ahead turbo'ing the SOHC 4G64 because I didn't want to go big and do something wrong or stupid any "noob" would do. Since this was my first "turbo" car, it was my learning medium hands on. I had the car turbo for a year and I learned alot and when I bought my Galant VR4, I was able to understand some of the problems it had and also I learned more about a turbo car. Its almost like a person that buys their first turbo cars....then get to crazy w/o really understanding the workings of a turbo car and BOOM!!!
    What about me, i have a DOHC and i need some practice before i build my engine up too, but it will be a little bit more work to boost my GS engine
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

You can still slap on a turbo on your GS. The key is to start off small...take baby steps. Unless you have $$$ and time to throw away...this would be the smart thing to do. Trust me...5-8lbs of boost on a DOHC 4G64 will hold its ground pretty well. :twisted:

You can still slap on a turbo on your GS. The key is to start off small...take baby steps. Unless you have $$$ and time to throw away...this would be the smart thing to do. Trust me...5-8lbs of boost on a DOHC 4G64 will hold its ground pretty well. :twisted:
    Well i was planning on starting with a small 16g or a 14b and do somewhere around 7lbs of boost and gain experience while i build the 64 block

Quote Originally Posted by Joaltava
    Well i was planning on starting with a small 16g or a 14b and do somewhere around 7lbs of boost and gain experience while i build the 64 block
    Jackin my thread :smt018
    just messin dude ... it's all good info and please keep it flowing, I can use as much as possible :D

i plan on boosting my sohc with a 14b and 10lbs of boost. these engines are sooooooooo cheap around here, even if i blow it i will learn and fix it cheap

one of my other projects is a 6 bolt!

from what i have heard, a certain person with a turbo sohc 5spd 7G, beat an auto evo swapped 8G.

A 4G64 DOHC will own so many cars, it's not funny.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

i know a DOHC 64 will own alot of cars thats one of the reasons i want to turbo her but what get me the most worried and what most people with no experience gets them worried is the dealing with the compression ratio, i know my baby has high compression which means i have to have her tuned correctly

what is the compresion of our sohc 64??

i think ill be boosting the 7g first before i dive into the gsx....ill just use the stock gsx parts into the 7g then buy a complete motor and trans for the gsx.....

Quote Originally Posted by da1085
    what is the compresion of our sohc 64??

i think ill be boosting the 7g first before i dive into the gsx....ill just use the stock gsx parts into the 7g then buy a complete motor and trans for the gsx.....
    im not that sure but i know my GS has somewhere is the 10-2-1 or something like that i know its in the 10's for the GS

the only real issue witht he gs is the stock timming map.

it has a knock sensor for timming advance, but the advance is based on n/a timing.

typically n/a is going to get a great deal more timing advance under load, with good fuel.

if you want a sure fire way to keep knock at bay, and still run a crapload of boost,

water injection, is a cheap, and effective way to suppress predetonation.

the mist from water injection will cool your post intercooler charge temps dramatically, this will let you run more boost on pump gas w/o knock.
    side effect of water injection...
    the vapor literally scrubs your intkae manifold, you pistons, you would never believe how clean an enigne with h2o spray is on the insides. even a 200k+ mile engine will look brand new upon dissasembly.

aside from that, with a little caution, research, and a skillful tune...
    you coudl have one sweet ass setup.

its all in the tune though,
    slowboy was doing some turbo trials last year, basically giving you a dyno readout for every turbo they coudl come up with, on the same motor.
    what was the motor?
    a 2.1l destroker... with 10:1 compression
    they were running turbo's to 30 psi with it.

so don't be skuuuuurd 8)

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast