The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Laxin's Turbo Build

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Showing results 21 to 40 of 216
    Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kolio
    from what i have heard, a certain person with a turbo sohc 5spd 7G, beat an auto evo swapped 8G.
    8) ftw she won the last race we ran about 2 weeks ago
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Quote Originally Posted by DOHCstunr
    the only real issue witht he gs is the stock timming map.

it has a knock sensor for timming advance, but the advance is based on n/a timing.

typically n/a is going to get a great deal more timing advance under load, with good fuel.

if you want a sure fire way to keep knock at bay, and still run a crapload of boost,

water injection, is a cheap, and effective way to suppress predetonation.

the mist from water injection will cool your post intercooler charge temps dramatically, this will let you run more boost on pump gas w/o knock.
    side effect of water injection...
    the vapor literally scrubs your intkae manifold, you pistons, you would never believe how clean an enigne with h2o spray is on the insides. even a 200k+ mile engine will look brand new upon dissasembly.

aside from that, with a little caution, research, and a skillful tune...
    you coudl have one sweet ass setup.

its all in the tune though,
    slowboy was doing some turbo trials last year, basically giving you a dyno readout for every turbo they coudl come up with, on the same motor.
    what was the motor?
    a 2.1l destroker... with 10:1 compression
    they were running turbo's to 30 psi with it.

so don't be skuuuuurd 8)
    damn dude you know how to make a man cry, i love what you just said, now i know that the sky is the limit with my GS, i have so much to learn to remotely get anywhere near the amount of knowledge you have on the 7g's and turbo set ups. Thank you for that huge boost of confidence you just have just given to any person that has a 7g and wants to boost it.

One last question?

What turbo should i start out with, a 16g evo 16g 14b or something bigger?
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

14b can be found for under $100 and can boost up to like 20 psi

16g's are a little more expensive but boost more, and they have bigger lag time.( not that much slower than a 14b)

on the dohc 64 you can even go evo 16G, thats how beastly it is!

if you just want to keep cost down, get a 14b, you can change to 16g without modification.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

i plan on boosting my sohc with a 14b and 10lbs of boost. these engines are sooooooooo cheap around here, even if i blow it i will learn and fix it cheap

one of my other projects is a 6 bolt!

from what i have heard, a certain person with a turbo sohc 5spd 7G, beat an auto evo swapped 8G.

A 4G64 DOHC will own so many cars, it's not funny.
    you talking about sleeper and spicy?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar

16g's are a little more expensive but boost more, and they have bigger lag time.( not that much slower than a 14b)

if you just want to keep cost down, get a 14b, you can change to 16g without modification.
    I think your confused. Evo3 16g isnt a big turbo by any means :P

You could run the biggest turbo in the world on a stock SOHC 7g, it just wouldnt be efficient and you probably couldnt spool it at all. Its not the size of the turbo that the motor is limitted to, its all in the tune, how much boost you run, and fuel.
    7g for life!

every time the turbo subject comes up i learn alot since every time there is something new......

now i was wondering can you run a turbo set up with out having anykind of a/f controler(safc or something)?

also what down pipe can we use(90 gsx pipe?) posibly?

finaly which 3 guages are mandetory(my guess boost, oil presure, a/f ratio)? EGT is kinda pricy is it really needed?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by da1085
    now i was wondering can you run a turbo set up with out having anykind of a/f controler(safc or something)?
    No because you would never get it to idle with the bigger injectors

also what down pipe can we use(90 gsx pipe?) posibly?
    2g gst downpipe is the one we use

finaly which 3 guages are mandetory(my guess boost, oil presure, a/f ratio)? EGT is kinda pricy is it really needed?
    vac/boost, egt at minimum. Egt is a must because you don't have a knock sensor so you need something to tell you how the engine is doing. If funds permit get a wideband a/f controller with a guage.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover
    i plan on boosting my sohc with a 14b and 10lbs of boost. these engines are sooooooooo cheap around here, even if i blow it i will learn and fix it cheap

He was but she took the win on the last one we ran like 2 weeks ago. btw info travels pretty fast .

Experienced TGC Member

They all spool the about same because they have the same turbine housing (TD05) If you want a slower spool you need a (TD06) housing turbo like a 20g

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yah, Id run a 30/30 vac/boost gauge and an EGT gauge at minimum. Do not waste your time with a narrowband A/F gauge, only go wideband A/F(Zeitronix, AEM Eugo, ect).

As for no fuel control, you could do it, but it wouldnt be fun or safe, and gains wouldnt be near what they would be if you did have a fuel management system.

If anything, at least get an older SAFC.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4
    8) ftw she won the last race we ran about 2 weeks ago
    i heard that a certain person with an auto evo swapped 8g beat a person with a turbo sohc 5spd 7g, a turbo 6spd maxima 3.5L, and an integra boosted - if u wanna see this auto galevo lose.. come to the race against the blue supra running 40psi... at an expressway near u

He was but she took the win on the last one we ran like 2 weeks ago. btw info travels pretty fast .
    yea my first run - i had a slipping tranny and about 10psi... who runs 10psi on an evo motor
    someone challenged me.. i said no - but said alright.. lets see how i do now and how i do after i do minor tranny work... sleeper got me

2 weeks later... lets go 'one more again'.. tranny fixed... boost turned up a little - maybe it wasn't tuned right cuz after 3 wins.. the 4th run had me breaking up under boost due to fouled out plugs - nevertheless... i got it -

i need to still get some tranny work done.. that way i can run the boost of wat an evo motor should be running or more... but in time.. im not tryna break anything just yet..lol

we already discussed... videos will be taken - that way tgc can view fellow members on the road rather than in pictures.. i like the idea..what do y'all think

Quote Originally Posted by SpicyGalant

yea my first run - i had a slipping tranny and about 10psi... who runs 10psi on an evo motor
    someone challenged me.. i said no - but said alright.. lets see how i do now and how i do after i do minor tranny work... sleeper got me

2 weeks later... lets go 'one more again'.. tranny fixed... boost turned up a little - maybe it wasn't tuned right cuz after 3 wins.. the 4th run had me breaking up under boost due to fouled out plugs - nevertheless... i got it -

i need to still get some tranny work done.. that way i can run the boost of wat an evo motor should be running or more... but in time.. im not tryna break anything just yet..lol

we already discussed... videos will be taken - that way tgc can view fellow members on the road rather than in pictures.. i like the idea..what do y'all think
    Pics are decent, vids would be nice ... but I think you should come pick me up and give me a ride so I can feel the beast 8) (actually that applies to anyone with a turbo galant.) :P

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    Well i should be boosted in a few weeks so i guess you will see it first hand.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

turbo!!!!

^^ Stop post whoring my thread. :evil:

... Anyway, i've decided that I will be going turbo. Now I just want to see what all I am forgetting in my list of items needed to have the swap go smoothly.
    I already have the manifold, o2 housing, fmic, 450cc injectors, gm maft, adjustable fpr, wideband o2 sensor, and all necessary gauges. I am in the process of getting a turbo so i'm not worried about that.
    I know that I will need all new gaskets, oil and water lines, custom IC piping and a custom downpipe along with either a 2g oil pan or drilling my stock one. Is there anything else that I am overlooking?
    Input would be greatly appreciated especially from those of you that have turboed your g's already.

Well I haven't turboed yet, but Some things you may want to consider is using a 2g eclipse turbo downpipe. That will fit with a turbo setup from a stock eclipse.

Didn't see what type of engine mgmt you were using but don't forget about that like safc2, maf t, etc.

good luck on your turbo build otherwise...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

On the oil i belive you can run a sandwhich adapter if you wish....Another thing is if you dont want to sit with your car buy a turbo timer....Will make the turbo last a little longer....Caking oil is a bitch!....It looks like you pretty much got it down....And you may want to get either a bigger fuel pump or do the pump rewire....Just to make sure you have the fuel you need....Good luck!

Good looking out, I forgot to mention that I already rewired the fuel pump. Thanks for the quick responses.

I know it has been a couple of days, but I have two quick questions. One, could you use the knock sensor off of an eclipse, and two, did someone already make a list or could someone make a list of the necessary parts for an sohc turbo build? Thanks

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast