The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Laxin's Turbo Build

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Showing results 41 to 60 of 216

knock

if u dont have a knock sensor ur ecu wont recognize the sensor because it doesnt have a pin for it and or its not looking for it in its programming.. If u change ur ecu then yes.. i guess u guys use turbo eclipses ecus or something???
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

yeah we use turbo eclipse ecu's so i was assuming that we would need the knock sensor, but i don't really know.

Unless you have a 94 GS, you will need to swap to a 63 head in order to use the eclipse ecu. The galant ecu doesn't have any use for a knock sensor so unless you go with a standalone or some form of aftermarket knock monitoring system, you're SOL. As far as a parts list .... search can be your friend. Now to get back on topic, anyone else have some insight on my previous questions?

to stay on topic, be careful with the custom downpipe, you can run into problems fitting up to the catalytic converter. Also you have to watch out for the flex pipe and o2 sensor placement. You may have to pull the wiring out from the o2 sensor plug from the car so it will reach. And definitely make sure you plug it in, because otherwise you be running a check engine light, and unless you want to scan for codes all the time, you may not know your engine is in trouble. But thats obvious i guess. So anyway, if the turbo ecu from an eclipse needs a knock sensor, and for that you need to swap the head, what are you doing to make the sohc turbo if you won't have a knock sensor? What would you get for a standalone one, and would it work as well?

For now i'm not going to be using any knock control because I will not be tuning for max power. Just a stockish 8 psi for the time being. I will be running a wideband o2 in conjunction with the maft so that I can utilize the wideband tracking feature. (Corrects the a/f ratio in realtime to a preset # at WOT) The wideband I have also has a selectable narrowband switching point so I can set the a/f ratio under other conditions as well. So for the short term future that I will be SOHC and turbo I won't crank up the boost and I will have it dyno tuned after the install so I hopefully won't run into any problems with knock. :?

Quote Originally Posted by Crim
    to stay on topic, be careful with the custom downpipe, you can run into problems fitting up to the catalytic converter. Also you have to watch out for the flex pipe and o2 sensor placement. You may have to pull the wiring out from the o2 sensor plug from the car so it will reach. And definitely make sure you plug it in, because otherwise you be running a check engine light, and unless you want to scan for codes all the time, you may not know your engine is in trouble. But thats obvious i guess. ?
    unless you are blind, careless and have an exhaust shop in your garage.....
    this won't be an issue....
    any guy who has worked at an exhaust shop for half a day can put a bung where its needed.
    or cut a pipe to the proper length.

not to mention ebay sells pretty damn high quality downpipes. bolt it on and done.
    perfect robotic welds, thick! polished double wall stainless, and thick 1/2 flanges(won't warp on you)... and did i mention perfect.... PERFECT fittament, for about 100 bucks shipped.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    My $120 eBay downpipe has lasted 3 years running. Money well spent.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT
    My $120 eBay downpipe has lasted 3 years running. Money well spent.
    x2

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Well it's getting close to that time. :) I just received my small 16g with manifold and ported o2 housing today :twisted: Did I mention I love ebay ... 185 shipped for the whole package. I'm starting to get real pumped, now all I need is to get some IC piping and vacuum hose and oil and coolant lines. By the way where is the best place to tap for the water feed and return since I can't seem to recall that info? I will try to get some pics up soon of all the parts and then update the thread again after I start the install.

Experienced TGC Member milo111000's Avatar
    nice please post pics next time!! can't wait to see it

Sorry I haven't been around for some time, I had a family emergency that had me up in new york for the past few days. I should be able to get pics and have them posted tomorrow of a good portion of my setup. One more question ... If I disconnect the wastegate on the turbo, will that keep me from boosting at all or will it just minimize the boost until the exhaust flow overcomes the amount the flapper can flow( i'm assuming that would only happen at WOT or or high rpm driving) ? And again to anyone that has turboed a 7G, where did you tap for the coolant lines and where would be recommended?

Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior
    Sorry I haven't been around for some time, I had a family emergency that had me up in new york for the past few days. I should be able to get pics and have them posted tomorrow of a good portion of my setup. One more question ... If I disconnect the wastegate on the turbo, will that keep me from boosting at all or will it just minimize the boost until the exhaust flow overcomes the amount the flapper can flow( i'm assuming that would only happen at WOT or or high rpm driving) ? And again to anyone that has turboed a 7G, where did you tap for the coolant lines and where would be recommended?
    easest way is to take one of the hoses that goes to the throttle body, send it to the turbo, then back ot the throttle body.

or you coudl get the one that comes from the throttle body, send it to the turbo, and back to the thermostat housing.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

36 inch long SS braided coolant line for turbo.

I have 2 fittings for each end, both with a 1/8in NPT thread (I have the tap for 1/8 NPT if need be)

I think it is the feed line but not sure, it really does not matter because it is a different engine.

I know they have some funky adaptors for coolant temp with 1/8 NPT threading.

Will this work for a feed or return line for your system? I have a nice pile of miscellaneous turbo stuff (1”-1 ¼-1 ½ inch piping for coolant or small wastegate plumbing, hoses, GOOD quality clamps from NAPA, IC piping-black and a few “if we need to” intercooler couplers). I have some extra O2 sensor bungs if you want an optional wideband port (cap them when not in use).

Think of all the weird shit you think you might need yet…

Well I promised some pics of my setup so here you go.

This isnt everything, some are already installed and some are still on the way or need to be bought. Or I just got lazy and didn't feel like looking for them. The box on the bottom is the 3" exhaust kit from vrs( 3 inches is F'ing huge by the way :twisted: )

mtcavity1 i'll send you a pm about all of that stuff and see if we can work something out.

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    :smt023

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    nice!!

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

that is a tiny turbo. what kind is it?
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Looks like a big 16g.
    7g for life!

Close Seth, small 16g but it's plenty for what I have going on.

I didnt know the Small 16gs have the duel fin compressor wheels. I thought the small and regular 16s had single(like the 14bs) and the Big and Evo3 16gs had the duel fin compressor wheels.

Where did you buy it from? What is stamped on the exhaust housing?
    7g for life!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast