The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Laxin's Turbo Build

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Showing results 61 to 80 of 216
    hard to see the serial. it got obliterated

I actually found it on ebay so i'm not positive on what it is exactly, I was told that it was a small 16g. I'll go and check it out in the morning since I just put it away.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    If its stock and it has a 6cm^2 exhaust housing, its probably a Small 16g. If it has a 7cm^2 exhaust housing, its a big 16g.
    7g for life!

looks like a small 16g with a swapped comp wheel to me
    the compressor housing is way too small to ge a big 16g

The second half of the serial is 0520 its just impossible to see in that pic, so it is a small 16g.

Well ladies and gents, the G just went under the knife today so heres a few pics of the front end and intercooler installed. :twisted:

Pay no attention to the dates on the pics, my mom doesn't know how to set up her camera and I was too lazy to fix it.

Well I feel like a noob ... three posts in a row. Anyways I figured I would give another update. As of now the intercooler is mounted and the G is gutted of the entire stock exhaust system and the 3" exhaust is starting to look pretty badass. Hopefully I will have the exhaust finished and the turbo installed and the oil and water lines plumbed by the end of the day tomorrow. Wish me luck. :twisted:

Experienced TGC Member glantv699's Avatar
    I can hear it now.....PSSSSH

good stuff Joe, keep the pics comin, or maybe I'll just come see it in person. 8)

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST
    > 2010 Evolution X SE #183 of 340 (1 of 54 in Octane Blue)
    > 1999 ES V6 (Sold 2/2011)

Ok here's a few pics from when I was test fitting the turbo.

I'll post more pics tomorrow of everything actually installed cuz i'm f'in beat right now.

make sure you use all new exhaust gaskets. for every single exhaust gasket.
    make sure you get out a torque wrench and torque every exhaust bolt to spec.
    make sure you use ultra high temp antiseize on all your turbo and exhaust bolts.
    and, make sure you chase the threads of yoru turbo with a tap (to clean them up) before you install yoru turbo bolts.
    because any leak will rob and i mean ROB you of power. overtorqued turbo bolts will SNAP, ESPECIALLY those ARP bolts you are using(becuase those don't stretch to accomidate the expanding manifodl and turbo from the 1500* plus heat)i broke all 4 of my arp bolts back in the day.

also, bolts that are undertorqued will back out and dissapear. which sucks.
    ask seth about any of my 100 random exhaust leak problems. from bolts to cracked manifolds to blown gaskets to broken studs.
    every one of them will kill your spool and hijack yoru top end.

and i know you are on a budget....
    but i HIGHLY HIGLY reccomend buying from slowboy a set of OEM head to manifold Studs, nuts, and washers.
    DO NOT BUY a stainless steel stud kit.(i broke 5 studs in two weaks, even with them being torqued to spec.)
    just get the oem stud kit. you probably didn't know this but those nuts on yoru exhaust studs in your pictures... are made of pure copper!
    yours look pretty sad.

you want to know more, just ask.
    otherwise, you cna be like me and spend a lot of money learing from your own mistakes.

keep up the good work

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Yes exhaust leaks suck. I have never broken a turbo bolt or exhaust stud but I am using a stock turbo and Evo3 manifold(stock flange thickness/weight). I use anti-seize on my stock turbo bolts and never have broken one. And my exhaust studs never break because I never remove my manifold(except once).

But like John said, be sure to use new gaskets between the manifold and head, o2 housing and downpipe, and cat/downpipe/catback or else you will be annoyed by boost leaks!

Your off to a good start though, keep it up!
    7g for life!

wow that looks really good so far.. Can't wait to see how you do the intercooler piping and engine mgmt :)

Anyways keep up the good work and good luck with the install...
    ---||| 97Galant, E3 16G, Safc, 5spd,Drifter Body |||---

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Looking good on the install. Like what Seth and John stated...use all new gaskets and high temp anti seize. I recommend GM antiseize...they have a heat tolerance of 2500 degrees.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    I recommend GM antiseize...they have a heat tolerance of 2500 degrees.
    wow thanks for the tip

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Ok well the good news is all the major work is finished, the bad news is I'm just too beat to try and start her up tonight so that will have to wait for tomorrow. Pics will follow once all is said and done, and maybe if I meet up with a couple people there might be a vid too but no promises.

Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior
    Ok well the good news is all the major work is finished, the bad news is I'm just too beat to try and start her up tonight so that will have to wait for tomorrow. Pics will follow once all is said and done, and maybe if I meet up with a couple people there might be a vid too but no promises.
    Congrats! Take a well deserved rest, crack open a can of your favourite beverage, and have at it tomorrow!
    1996 Galant S

oh man is it pretty.....from today:

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST

AND SHE LIVES ... Started up on the first try and has been running like a champ since. I'll go through all the pics I have and probably post them later.

Quote Originally Posted by laxinwarrior
    AND SHE LIVES ... Started up on the first try and has been running like a champ since. I'll go through all the pics I have and probably post them later.
    I wasn't gonna spill the news so I'm glad you finally did lol. Man that was sweet, turn the key, boom, starts right up. Congratulations Joe, from here on out it's just a few additions, tuning, and that thing we all love (but only a select few know), BOOST.

> TGCPA - SOUTHEAST

Awesome! Almost exactly what I plan on doing to mine.

Just to clear up some of the confusion and misinformation I've seen in here about these turbos, all 16g's have those dual fin appearing compressor wheels. Small, Big, Evo3, ALL of them have that. Also ALL of them have 7cm2 exhaust housings. 14b's came with the "non-dual fin" appearing compressor wheel, and came with 6cm2 exhaust housings. If you have a 16g with a 6cm2 exhaust housing, then someone swapped that on there. Also that is the stock compressor housing on there. Not too small, not too large, just right :) Calling it a tiny turbo is relative really. A 16g is a great street turbo with quick spool, and packs a nice little punch for a street driven car. I wouldn't call it a tiny turbo, especially on a basic setup like he has here. We have a local pushing 300hp on his 16g on a 4g63.

Also someone had asked if simply not hooking up the wastegate would make you not boost. The answer is no, it will actually do the exact opposite. The waste gate will not open, and all exhaust gas will go through the turbine wheel, and it will boost as high as it possibly can.

Definately a great budget build you have going there!
    B-Man
    91 Talon AWD
    01 Galant ES

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast