The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: cracked turbine housing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Showing results 1 to 20 of 22

cracked turbine housing

I've got a crack in the turbine housing on my '93 eagle talon TSi awd a/t. This is the stock turbo that came with the car. I was wondering if it is possible to seal this kind of crack in the housing using a high temperature sealant or gasket/sealant combination. I have tried a few that worked initially but then became brittle and flaked off. I'm not in the financial situation at the moment to replace/rebuild the turbo so it would be a huge help if someone could point me towards a low buck fix for this issue.

you can weld it,
    but cast iron is so brittle,
    literally the weld will pull against the cast iron and cause other cracks.
    if you do weld it you need to use nickel rod, and you need to tap the area you weld with a ball peen hamer or a pnuematic tapping tool.

because turbine housings can reach temperatures of over 1600 degrees continuous,
    there really isn't a sealant that will fix your issues.

i woudl just spend all of 60 bucks on a used 13g turbo.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

I'm just afraid of the stud breaking when I take it out. I've heard horror stories about that.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Just forget it man. Spend the money/effort in replacing the puny 13g with a 14b! You can get a good 14b for under $100 nowadays and it will pull harder then the 13g at any rpm.
    7g for life!

does it require any modification to the fuel system or anything? my dad drives the talon so I'm trying to keep it as stock as possible. he's not as young as he once was.

No mods required as long as you keep it under 15psi.
    7g for life!

what does the 13b run in stock configuration? 8 psi?

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

as long as it won't change the boost threshold dramatically that seems like it would be an ideal fix. I've never pulled a turbo on this car before so I don't know what it involves though.

its not hard, pretty straightforward.
    just look at the turbo, and remove anything thats attatched to it.

but to run a 14b you will need the 14b oil feed line.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

what's the difference from the 13g oil line? bigger?

if u want i can probably fix it. how big is the crack? i am an experienced (with a degree) welder. ive done cast iron a bunch of times, its a little tricky but i can do it. get back to me.
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

Not sure on the differences in the oil lines, I would think they are the same or similar at least.

If you dont even want to spend $100, you could always pick up a used 6cm^2 exhaust housing off eBay or DSM Tuners that is not cracked. The 13g should just use a v-band clamp to hold the cartridge to the housing, so its easy to remove. You probably could get a used replacement exhaust housing for $10-40
    7g for life!

that's not a bad idea either. truth be told I'm half looking for an excuse to put a 14b on the talon and fix up the 13g to put on the galant I just need to figure out how to peice the rest of the turbo kit together for under 400 dollars.

Experienced TGC Member
    If you go with the 14b try to pick up a set of stock 1g 450cc injectors to match them up with the turbo. btw I have a 13b at my job just sitting there.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

you looking to sell it?

True, injectors on the auto are something like 390cc where as the 5spd 14b cars are 450cc.
    7g for life!

are you sure? I thought the awd tsi auto had 450cc injectors too

injectors

yup 390s for 1g auto.. all 2gs had 450ccs auto or manual
    4g64DeT 1st evo ecu powered automatic (5 speed now baby)
    BIG 16G Boosted|custom dp|megan racing catback|Deleted Cat|stock dsm manifold|450cc Blues|190lph walbro|evo fuel rail + fpr|greddy type rs bov|evo uicp|Gen FMIC|Custom LICP|Evo cf hood|cf trunk|cyber body kit|motegi dp6 gunmetal 18"|AGXs|Tein S techs|14 psi |5 yrs boosted

Fuck. oh well. I guess that shoots down my dreams of putting a 14b in there. I don't have the money for 450cc dsm injectors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast