The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: air conditioning problems

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

air conditioning problems

I did a search and couldn't find anything similar to what I'm having problems with. When I'm at an idle, my air conditioning doesn't work that good, but as soon as I pull off, it gets cold. But even then, it's not real cold, but it's colder than it was. Any ideas?

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Whens the last time you had you A/C system checked? You might just be low on refridgerant and just need to recharge the system. Inspect the A/C system lines, dryer and condensor...see if there any signs of leaks.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    Whens the last time you had you A/C system checked? You might just be low on refridgerant and just need to recharge the system. Inspect the A/C system lines, dryer and condensor...see if there any signs of leaks.
    I had the system recharged last summer. But the a/c has never actually been serviced. I don't trust any of the shops around here.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    I would inspect for leaks in the system. Usually the O-rings of the lines going to the condensor go bad over time. Like I said..check the A/C system for leaks. YOu will see if there is leaks.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

I have the same problem. But lately, my AC light will flash. I took it to the dealership & they said there were no leaks & my refridgerant was sufficient. Took it last year & my mechanic recharged it.
    So far this year, no problems...but I haven't used it yet. But for the last 3 years, I've been having your problems with no real answers. I've had it looked at least 4 times.

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim
    I would inspect for leaks in the system. Usually the O-rings of the lines going to the condensor go bad over time. Like I said..check the A/C system for leaks. YOu will see if there is leaks.
    You can only see if the components are physically damaged, you can't see freon leaking out.

If it was charged before at a smart repair shop they would have injected a AC dye into the system to allow identification of any leaks. Sounds like you might be low on refrigerant, but regardless it will need to be inspected.

Hopefully, I can find a reputable shop and let them to a a/c check without telling me I need to replace half the engine. I know one thing for sure, it won't be a Jiffy Lube :)

Its most likly you need a recharge. But take the car to the shop have them do a charge and check for leaks. As for the car getting colder when you take off from a stop. That happens with almost ever car no matter who the maker is. Reason is that when the car is at idle the compressor is pressured less then when you take off or driving. So with that said, dont worry about it not being so cold at idle.