The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: BYpass valve considered useless...

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

BYpass valve considered useless...

So I've been running on my CAI ever since December, but today, the Bypass valve proved to me that its useless. It was raining cats and dogs here in Illinois, so knowing I got a bypass valve, I thought I will be okay. The car died while driving. Everytime I was at a light is just bogged and died. I had to rev the car everytime I stopped on the way home... really frustrating. So I converted the intake back to SRI. I made a little bracket/hanger for the intake since I didnt want it to sit on the engine. It already has a little hole on the upper pipe from getting hot back when it was SRI in October....

My engine suddenly has a ticking also. Im pretty stumped on how I can get rid of it... any help would be appreciated...

video:

you guys notice how she choked the first time i revved her up?
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Experienced TGC Member
    you might have gotten a little water/moisture on the mas sensor. It has happen to me before. Give it some time to dry or take off the mas and put it by a small fan at low speed to dry it if it seems wet.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepervr-4
    you might have gotten a little water/moisture on the mas sensor. It has happen to me before. Give it some time to dry or take off the mas and put it by a small fan at low speed to dry it if it seems wet.
    the MAF was dry. hell, the lower pipe was dry... except for where the filter sits. The dryflow got pretty wet... but everything after the bypass valve wasnt touched. also, no SES.

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

umm could be totally unrelated to the intake or MAS... if it dies at idle it could simply b ur battery is weak.

Quote Originally Posted by Reelax
    umm could be totally unrelated to the intake or MAS... if it dies at idle it could simply b ur battery is weak.
    its fine now... but im going to look into that.

Edit: My head unit has a battery volt meter.... it says 12.3 volts. thats not weak is it?

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover

Edit: My head unit has a nattery volt meter.... it says 12.3 volts. thats not weak is it?
    is that w/ the car idling or off?

Edit: My head unit has a nattery volt meter.... it says 12.3 volts. thats not weak is it?
    is that w/ the car idling or off?
    ACC.

Quote Originally Posted by [url=http://batterytender.com/faqs.php
    batterytender.com - FAQ[/url]]1. How can I tell if my battery is charged or not?

Lead acid batteries are made up of cells. Each cell is approximately 2 volts, so a 12-volt battery has 6 individual cells. It turns out that a fully charged 2-volt cell has a voltage of approximately 2.15 volts. Oddly enough, a fully discharged 2-volt cell has a voltage of 1.9 volts. That’s only a difference of 0.25 volts on each cell from fully charged to fully discharged. So a 12-volt battery will measure at about 12.9 volts when it’s fully charged and about 11.4 volts when it is fully discharged. That’s a total of 1.5 volts that represents the full range of charge on a 12-volt battery. To make a good guess at how much charge your battery has left, you can assign a percentage of charge remaining that is directly proportional to the battery voltage. Let’s see how we can do that. If the battery voltage is 12.15 volts, how much charge is left? Beginning with 11.4 volts representing no charge or 0% charge available, subtract 11.4 volts from the voltage that you read. So 12.15 – 11.4 = 0.75 volts. Since there are only 1.5 volts above 11.4 volts that represents the full range of charge, we can divide the difference that we just calculated by 1.5 volts to get the percentage of charge remaining. 0.75 volts / 1.5 volts = 0.5 or when expressed as a percentage, multiply by 100 and get 50%. Here’s the procedure written as a formula that is applicable to 12 Volt Batteries:

OPEN CIRCUIT BATTERY STATE OF CHARGE CALCULATION

% Charge = SOC

% Charge = ((Measured Battery Voltage – 11.4 volts) / 1.5 volts) x 100
    so at 12.3V u got a 60% charged battery.

so 13.9% would be around... 75%?

is there anyway I can get rid of the tick?

Lifter tick, I would change the oil, I would use Amsoil seems to get rid of lifter tick.
    Love,
    Matt

I can't remember how many countless posts there have been over the years stating that the CAI bypass valve is useless unless the filter is submerged. That's all it's designed for. As far as the tick is concerned. Figure out where it's coming from. Could be lifters or could be fuel system pressurizing pump. Both sound the same.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    I can't remember how many countless posts there have been over the years stating that the CAI bypass valve is useless unless the filter is submerged. That's all it's designed for. As far as the tick is concerned. Figure out where it's coming from. Could be lifters or could be fuel system pressurizing pump. Both sound the same.
    coming from under the valve cover...

no... 13.9V would be 166.66% charge. dude aren't u pinoy? we're supposed to b good at math.

lifters... CD2 or RISLONE. they are both yellow bottles: oil additive that cleans the lifters... almost all mitsu engines have lifter tick.

no... 13.9V would be 166.66% charge. dude aren't u pinoy? we're supposed to b good at math.
    yeah im not very good at math. Im like one of the filipino kids the yayas dropped when they were little. Im prolly the only filipino kid with ADHD. lol

lifters... CD2 or RISLONE. they are both yellow bottles: oil additive that cleans the lifters... almost all mitsu engines have lifter tick.
    oil additive meaning I mix it with the oil the next time I change it right? how many bottles do I need? just one? can I get it at autozone?

oil additive meaning I mix it with the oil the next time I change it right? how many bottles do I need? just one? can I get it at autozone?
    just pour a bottle into your valve cover whenever it starts making noise. yeah u can get them at autozone. oil changes also make the sound go away for a while so i use these between oil changes.

here's what ur looking for:

http://www.barsproducts.com/100QR.htm
    or
    http://www.turtlewax.com/main.taf?p=2,2,2,6

thanks bro!