The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: turbo application mufflers?

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

turbo application mufflers?

what exhaust's are you fellow turbo guys using? I currently have 2 1/2 piping Mendrel bent with an flow master since 01. I'm thinking of just upgrading the Apexi N1 turbo series muffler with same inlet and bigger outlet. I would run 3" but the downpipe is 2 1/2 it self so it wouldn't make sense to run 3" after that would it? figure 1 size all the way down should be good. Any other brands or guys suggest? greddy's are too big n fat so i dont want anything like that. $212 shipped for the N1 in black
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

actually it would still be a tremendous upgrade to go 3" from the downpipe back.

its like night and day.

turbocharged engines expel such hot gas that you are still scavenging as far back as the catback.
    go 3.
    your car will be much deeper,
    just order whatever can you like, and get a nice long resonator for the straight section post downpipe,
    and you will have the sexiest exhaust sound imaginable.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    If your goals for your car are limited to 300whp than 2.5 would be fine so just get a n1 muffler but if your plans are for 300+whp then I think its a nice time to upgrade to some 3" piping. Like stunr stated just get it 3" from the downpipe flexsection back.
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

I'm defiantly going to be under 300WHP, probably just enjoy it at 10-12 lbs max. Do you guys recommend a high flow cat? I have a cat-man high flow cat brand new in my garage from my boys maxima maybe use that? Do you think even under 300whp an 3" is worth it I'm sure piping shouldn't be much.
    13 GTR

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Id go 3" with no cat and a resonator, then just a 3" straight through muffler. I run a 3" turbo back, no cat, one resonator, no muffler. Im skilled.
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    I don't run a cat....high flow or not it is still a restriction with exhaust flow. I run Greddy sp catback, no cat and stock 2g gst downpipe. I will upgrade to a full 3" system soon. Hp is a addiction so I know I wont stop at 300 :D
    ASE Certified Master Automotive Tech
    2000 Galant ES = Daily Driver
    1996 Galant Turbo + 5 speed & lsd = fun ****SOLD****
    1992 Galant VR-4 #372/1000 Kensington Grey ***SOLD***

it is an addiction,
    and just like any other drug, you build a tolerance for it.

one day 20 psi feels faster then your balls can handle,
    a week later you don't even feel it in your chest anymore.

gotta have more.

i will say there is little to fear when dealing with turbo exhaust systems,

since the turbine wheel smooths exhaust flow, as well as reflects a great deal of sound back toward the head,
    turbocharged cars typically have quieter exhausts.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

right now they removed my cats, but i need them to pass emmisons which are every 2 years. I'll get a quote for 3" with the apexi n1. yea you right john about the boost fever so rather just do it now incase if i ever go beyond what i plan now.
    13 GTR

Experienced TGC Member
    If I had the money I would opt to keep the stock exhaust system and run an electric exhaust cutout.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Black
    If I had the money I would opt to keep the stock exhaust system and run an electric exhaust cutout.
    yeah man, woudl be sweet as helll, and oh so sleeper.

however it woudl provide a very very bland driving experience through the twisties.

i like the boost actuated cutouts.

have full backpressure out of boost, or to a user selectable boost level, say 4 psi,
    then everything after that goes completely open.
    automatically, every time.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT
    right now they removed my cats, but i need them to pass emmisons which are every 2 years. I'll get a quote for 3" with the apexi n1. yea you right john about the boost fever so rather just do it now incase if i ever go beyond what i plan now.
    When you build the 3" exhaust, this is what you do.

After the downpipe, you have a flange, than your cat, than another flange. Put the resonator after this flange and then run the rest of the piping to the muffler.

Take another piece of pipe and 2 more flanges, make it exactly the same size as the space where the cat is. When emissions roll around, take the 4 bolts out, put on the cat, right after, remove the 4 bolts, bolt in the straight pipe. Thats what all the EVO guys do. There are 450whp EVOs that still pass emissions.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

thats a good idea, ill tell the shop to do that. Thanks alot stewi. still debateing agianst black or chrome..

Apexi N1 (black) $200Shipped..not a bad deal right?
    80mm inlet and 115mm out
    13 GTR

i got one of these... its straight through like and aftermarket muffler but oval shape like the oem muffler... i got it cuz California cops are profiling tards

http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/VIB1147.htm
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports